blake_mx_racer
09-07-2005, 08:22 PM
here is a picture...

blake_mx_racer
09-07-2005, 08:29 PM
dont really like the new hood...

fasterz
09-07-2005, 08:31 PM
OOO DAYUMMM, honda made some ncie chages, i wasnt expecting near this many changes, looks like Ill be having to order some '06 parts, i work at a dealer ship so i pretty much pay nothing for OEM stuff. Now i wont need that FCR adaptor i should be able to just by the entire intake and air box on the 06. Also what is the max rev on the 04/05 so i can see how much it is increased?

Pappy
09-07-2005, 08:31 PM
hood may be ugly but the 12-1 compression should help..lol and E start for anyone who needs it.

should be another fun year!

TM426
09-07-2005, 08:32 PM
The hoods O.K. I dont like the lights. They should have made it with fullbore style hood.

HiperEX
09-07-2005, 08:43 PM
there are some pretty nice changes, so this is saying i can run a 12:1 compression in a 04 R and run pump gas?

sampleez
09-07-2005, 08:46 PM
i think you can go up to 12.5:1 with 93 octane

Smoker
09-07-2005, 08:47 PM
No reason to sell the '04, if you ask me.

desratt
09-07-2005, 08:53 PM
big change is they reduced the stroke and increased the bore, probably exactly the same as the crf

wonder about the cam???

400Ex_Rida
09-07-2005, 08:55 PM
I am really glad i didnt get an 05 and waited for the 06, this thing is gonna be awesome!!

swampfoxsc
09-07-2005, 08:59 PM
Anybody see the titanium intake valves?!!!!:eek2:

I wonder about the ignition?

desratt
09-07-2005, 09:02 PM
good eye

also for those that didn't see is didn't jump up in price for a kick start one.

desratt
09-07-2005, 09:03 PM
I noticed comparing the 05 specs to the 06 the it holds .1 gallon less in gas and weighs 7 pounds more. I'm sure cause it is longer.

swampfoxsc
09-07-2005, 09:09 PM
The change in frame geometry or lowered ride height probably caused the tank capacity change.

The retail price for the electric start is $200 less than the YFZ 450! Drop in the HRC kit and wave goodbye!:devil: :devil: :devil:

Transplant2
09-07-2005, 09:13 PM
Dang!!! And to think I almost bought the yamaha. Good thing I waited. I wonder where we can get info on the new tranny ratios? That was my biggest issue for my riding style. I am drooling big time now. :D

Jason250ex
09-07-2005, 09:15 PM
i dont think a 1-1.25"longer (im guessing) swingarm will make a 7 pound difference...what could it be? everything else refers to saving weight, yet the new model weighs more???

sampleez
09-07-2005, 09:18 PM
maybe they just lied before :p

trx450jason
09-07-2005, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by sampleez
maybe they just lied before :p

haha could be. The average rider more than likely wouldn't notice the 7 pound difference.

powerstroke
09-07-2005, 09:23 PM
where are you seeing that they shortened the stroke? Im not sure us XC racers wil lcare much for the engine changes........the honda was loved for its smooth power.......

powerstroke
09-07-2005, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Jason250ex
i dont think a 1-1.25"longer (im guessing) swingarm will make a 7 pound difference...what could it be? everything else refers to saving weight, yet the new model weighs more???

was that weight for the electric start model? maybe they shaved weight and added electric start? if that is the case then I would say they did good by only adding 7 pounds with an electric start bike.

K_Fulk
09-07-2005, 09:29 PM
The 7 pounds is more than likely from the e start. Edit: kick nersion is 357 e start 363. Must be in the new a-arm swingarm setup.

Looks like my next new quad. :cool:

Honda
09-07-2005, 09:33 PM
:muscle:

Dear Honda!

Thank You!! Thank You!! Thank You!!

Now if we could only see these types of upgrades on a regular basis, it would be great!

Also what a great way to keep everyone happy by adding E-Start as an option instead of standard equipment, my leg is faster than my thumb, lol!
:)

Jason250ex
09-07-2005, 09:34 PM
not sure..just goin by what was posted...i think thats great if the e start was only 7 pounds....never had a kick start before, so im not sure which model id get...

K_Fulk
09-07-2005, 09:36 PM
They start so easy I would go with the kicker. But at least now everyone can shoose between the 2.

Honda
09-07-2005, 09:39 PM
I think the new bike is lighter than the old one, the new kick version is 357lbs, but I remember one of the magazines weighed it along with a YFZ and it was more like 370+lbs, maybe Honda fibbed a little bit, or the revised gearing and new linkage make up for the extra pounds, could be a stronger frame though?

Either way, it is a great bike, and I do like the new front end better than the old one........

powerstroke
09-07-2005, 09:41 PM
i cant find the 05 specs. anybody figured out how much longer the swingarm is?

Jason250ex
next issue...new styling on the other honda models???? id like to see a change on the 300, but keep 400 the same so you dont get that "hey is that a 450r???" as much.....

edit: 05' models are 72.6" long...dunno about 06.....and the new carb is 40 mm...and the old one is 42...i dont get it:huh

swampfoxsc
I'll only get e-start if a backup kicker is easy to install. As an XC racer, I can't afford battery or starter trouble at a race. My '04 has never caused me a DNF and sitting in the woods with a dead battery is unacceptable. I hope you can add a kicker!

trx450jason
09-07-2005, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by swampfoxsc
I'll only get e-start if a backup kicker is easy to install. As an XC racer, I can't afford battery or starter trouble at a race. My '04 has never caused me a DNF and sitting in the woods with a dead battery is unacceptable. I hope you can add a kicker!

i think there is a back up kicker, not sure though

400exrider0004
09-07-2005, 09:52 PM
I am so getting a 06 450r!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

450Racer
09-07-2005, 10:13 PM
i'm keeping my 04' for a couple years till they make even more changes just cause i don't have the money to build a whole new bike. but i'm very impressed with the changes. Honda is finally opening there eyes. i love to see the ATV opening up and finally getting competitive. this is what it's all about. factory sponsorship for this, changes, faster bikes and improvments. you watch. mark my words, in 5 years, every rider in Pro will be factory.

personally, me weighing 135, i have a bad right knee and i'm sick of kicking my motor with a 11.5:1 piston and hotcam. it's a beast to start. the 12:1 piston probably makes it even harder. but the E-start is awesome. i really like how they left the backup if that's what i remember seeing. the titanium intake valves rock. check this out. shorter stroke+smaller bore+titanium intake valves+different head porting+smaller carb+higher compression piston...this looks like a noticeably large change in midrange power. should be sweet. the gear ratios really should help too. it should be about perfect with the 14 gear up front now. the 8mm drop should ease up on traction out of the corners. combined with the longer swinger should give it less wheelies, smoother jumps, better cornering, easier tossing the bike around into the corners and adjusting.

for 08' i'd really like to see fuel injection, Cannondale-style aluminum frame, race wheels/tires, nerfs, tether, dual rate shocks, better cam, exhaust titanium valves, lighter, maybe a stabilizer, 2 inches wider. then they should follow Cannondale with the different models. there should be a MX version like ^ and and XC with 20"s agressive tire tread, beadlocks, stock width, bigger tank, handguards, and some stuff like that.

this is definilty an improvement over the other bike. i finally think that gave the Yamaha some competion. i think this is only the beginning of many changes to come and new models and some new innovative stuff maybe EFI, fox float shocks, and some other cool stuff in the future. way to kick its arse Honda!!!:cool:

Smoker
09-07-2005, 10:41 PM
The higher compression ratio won't make a difference in starting due to the compression release. E-start is a nice option to be able to get when your buying a new quad, although I don't feel like I have to have it at this point. The power will be a little better although I'm sure a cam will still be in order, but at least you won't be spending the money on a piston (unless you want higher cp) or a carb, so that is pretty nice. An 8mm drop isn't really going to be felt as a big handling difference. All good changes to the new 450R, no reason to sell my 04 though.

swampfoxsc
09-07-2005, 10:58 PM
On the video on the Honda site you can see that the e-start doesn't have a backup kicker but the side cover has the hole where it goes. I'm sure it'll be a fairly easy bolt on addition.

The higher compression, CRF bore and stroke and carb will make a big difference in power especially with a cam. The price is the same as last year for the kick start model and $150 more for the e-start. That's awesome for all the new mods you get. Now if only we get a revised ignition then she'll scream for sure! The higher rev limit makes me think something is up.

Yota_Fan
09-07-2005, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by TM426
The hoods O.K. I dont like the lights. They should have made it with fullbore style hood.
I wonder if the '05 hood 'n lights will fit on the new '06 model? The cylops-like headlight blows!! :o

dirtriderex
09-07-2005, 10:59 PM
Oh My God! I have alot of ordering ahead of me:eek: . Geeze it's a whole new beast

Shawn H
09-07-2005, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by fasterz
OOO DAYUMMM, honda made some ncie chages, i wasnt expecting near this many changes, looks like Ill be having to order some '06 parts, i work at a dealer ship so i pretty much pay nothing for OEM stuff. Now i wont need that FCR adaptor i should be able to just by the entire intake and air box on the 06. Also what is the max rev on the 04/05 so i can see how much it is increased?

I Dont think it will bolt up perfect since this engine is totally different then the previous 450r's.The intakes may be positioned slightly different.

Not saying it wont work but it dont think it will be a simple bolt on mod>

Honda
09-08-2005, 12:19 AM
Oh My God! I have alot of ordering ahead of me . Geeze it's a whole new beast

Sounds like this is a whole new bike, frame geometry and other factors probably are going to limit the amount of 04-05 to 06 upgrades you are going to be able to do.

Time will tell however!

Now, I wonder if Dirtwheels is going to be allover Yamaha's nuts this time around, I am sure they will be, but does it really matter? Most of the pro's are already running Honda machines anyway........and winning on them as well!

macsolocam
09-08-2005, 05:41 AM
I think Honda made up some ground from a stock 04/05 to the 06 stock bike.

But if you take serious racers that have fully modded their 04/05 with componets and fully built their motor their will be no need in changing to a 06....

Personally I would not benifit...I have a little motor work this fall to finish up and I will be ready to go strong for another season....

I am very glad they steped it up from stock form.....

Jersey450R
09-08-2005, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by Honda
Sounds like this is a whole new bike, frame geometry and other factors probably are going to limit the amount of 04-05 to 06 upgrades you are going to be able to do.

The frame is unchanged. the ride height is a measly 8mm lower, never notice a difference from the previous 2 years. the only difference is .3 more travel in the rear due to new revised linkage. its not like they revised the frame so the shock should mount higher like they should have, plus, .3 of an inch more travel we all know will be hardly noticable. the valving on the new rear shock i hope will solve some of the bucking issues, but for some reason i beleive the bucking will still be there. Everything that is available for the 04 and 05 will bolt up perfectly to the 06. the swingarm is only 3/4 of an inch longer. however, its still not long enough. but i do like the look of it.

trx450Rrider
09-08-2005, 07:41 AM
the motor sounds awesome. NEW titanium bigger valves, more compression, and a crap load more. whats wierd is that there arent any more oil hoses coming out the front of the motor. the motor sits lower in the frame too. also i think the hood looks better than it did. kinda looks more agressive. the old one looks wimpy with that light on it. i also heard the 06 will not have as much bottom as the 04 and 05 but a crap load of mid and top end. i just hope my pulse charger bolts right up!!!!!!!!!

Shawn H
09-08-2005, 08:09 AM
I bet the pipe does not ift?

Motor looks lower in frame and the exhaust may not fit at the head correctly>

I hope it does tho

Jersey 450R.

Where does it say that the Swinger is 3/4" longer? Are you assuming this from the overall length? The arms are changed to they may be forward or back from the previous 450R's

I also BET that the Rear bucking problem is Solved.Honda had all of Laz's Gt Thunder specs rear end parts for them to test in the build of this new 450r:cool:

conway400
09-08-2005, 10:02 AM
Love the changes. Can't afford to trade the 04 though. :)

I would love to know if the electric start stuff could be retro-fitted.

BTW - the ride height change was listed by Honda as an upgrade, but 8mm is probably just an accidental result of the other changes. If you were trying to lower it, you would probably achieve a bigger difference.

Yota_Fan
09-08-2005, 10:41 AM
According to that HondaNews site, the engine in the '06 CRF450F makes quote, " Powerful engine churns out 55 bhp at 9000 rpm and 36.9 lb./ft. of torque at 6500 rpm."

Why doesn't the motor in the 450R quad make the same hp numbers? Or does it? Just wondering.. :o

yamaguy
09-08-2005, 10:46 AM
Wow it's great they updated it match what Yamaha did three years ago. Titanium Valves, FCR Carb, higher compression, YZ/CR spec motor, Electric Start, Racing Spec Handling. I am being sincere I like the fact they are finally starting to listen to what people are actually asking for. I only wish they didn't have to follow some other company and could come up with their own ideas.
Maybe next year they can shed a few of those extra pounds and put some real suspension travel numbers on it. By then maybe Suzuki will be able to show them what to do next:)
It's great time for ATV's!!

Rich250RRacer
09-08-2005, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by swampfoxsc
Anybody see the titanium intake valves?!!!!:eek2:

I wonder about the ignition?

I'm a die hard Honda guy, and I don't like the idea of the titanium valves. I heard the horror stories (and saw one first-hand) about guys with CRF's losing valve adjustment because the titanium valves beat themselves into the seat, usually requiring replacement of the head. I hope Honda got this problem straightened out, because those valves are not cheap and neither are the heads. This might be something to do some research on in a motorcycle forum.