PDA

View Full Version : clear coating plastics?

JDiablo
09-07-2005, 06:49 PM
I searched and didnt find exactly what i was looking for

I am thinking of getting black plastics for the YFZ,but the thing is before i even install them can i clear coat them 4-5 times to help protect them from branches,boots,etc?

416exduner
09-07-2005, 07:14 PM
yea you can do it, I've seen it done, but if you roll the bike or something and the plastics bend, you could crack the clear coat finish. However, if your confident you won't roll it, it would be well worth it. I once saw a 440ex that had white plastics with blue airbrushed flames, then the guy clear coated it like 5 times and man did it make those plastics look good. So I would suggest doing it if you can.

TheFontMaster
09-07-2005, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by 416exduner
yea you can do it, I've seen it done, but if you roll the bike or something and the plastics bend, you could crack the clear coat finish. However, if your confident you won't roll it, it would be well worth it. I once saw a 440ex that had white plastics with blue airbrushed flames, then the guy clear coated it like 5 times and man did it make those plastics look good. So I would suggest doing it if you can.

I remember that quad, that was a dune quad, and that is the only time I would paint plastics, because dune quads don't get as much abuse on the plastics. Also air brushing has a way of makeing the paint stick better to plastic for some reson. If you clear coat your plastics they will start to chip and look like crap soon. Clear coat like all paint is not very flexible, and is not ment to take the constant flexing like plastic does.

ill_lil_romey
09-09-2005, 02:54 PM
Ive done it to every bike ive ever owned and it works very well. Trick is you need to put at least 5 very light coats on it. if U do this right it will hold up just like factory. I have not had any problems with the clear cracking after a crash either. The key is your prep work. Sand Sand and then Wet sand, wash and let dry. sand the first 2 coats too, that way you get a uniform , almost mirror like image.

Syrus
09-09-2005, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by TheFontMaster
I remember that quad, that was a dune quad, and that is the only time I would paint plastics, because dune quads don't get as much abuse on the plastics. Also air brushing has a way of makeing the paint stick better to plastic for some reson. If you clear coat your plastics they will start to chip and look like crap soon. Clear coat like all paint is not very flexible, and is not ment to take the constant flexing like plastic does.

Im sure the owner of that quad is still on the site, actually i might have that pic still l et me check :)

Syrus
09-09-2005, 03:08 PM
Found it :D

TheFontMaster
09-09-2005, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Syrus
Found it :D

I love how that quad looks.

Iliketogofast
09-10-2005, 06:45 AM
Yeah, that's freakin sweet...! I wonder if I could airbrush my plastics without clear? Would it scratch off?

sled_ed 300ex
09-10-2005, 07:59 AM
that quad is one of the most awsome looking quads ive ever seen in my life!!

if you stilll talk to the guy that ownes that quad applaud him for me!!!

JDiablo
09-10-2005, 11:15 AM
Its a girl if i remeber correctly :eek2:

sled_ed 300ex
09-10-2005, 12:15 PM
blue is like my favorite colour ,thats bike is incredibly awesome!!!

ZeroLogic
09-10-2005, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by sled_ed 300ex
blue is like my favorite colour ,thats bike is incredibly awesome!!!

and im have to say english wasnt your favorite spelling class :p

j/k man

thats a pretty nice quad