PDA

View Full Version : Toasted the 350x clutch on nitrous I think....

fyi
09-07-2005, 06:07 PM
Well, after 20 years of faithful service, numerous floggings in the local wooded trails (and who knows where else before I owned it...) and many big nitrous shots later on the straights~ the clutch has finally laid to rest on the 350x....:(

We had a blast doing it though! We threw together a wet n20 system for this machine that injects nitrous and fuel into the intake tract of this thing and *MAN* does it sound pissed when it's activated!! We added a small Yuasa battery to the electrical system to aid in solenoid activation and to energize a very small Suzuki Hayabusa electric fuel pump...believe it or not, it worked pretty good considering we literally threw it together to see if it could work.

I don't really know how much power it added because we never had a chance to put it back on the dyno tonight before the clutch let go, but whatever it made.....it was *BIG*! Huge, long wheelies in 4th AND 5th were no problem~ without even having to fan the clutch and the top speed seemed to go one forever; although I backed out of it early because I really didn't want road rash from flipping this thing at some ungodly speed..... However fast it was going, it was marching along pretty good on the top end! :eek2:

Anywho~ It was fun none-the-less, so I guess it's off to see Mr. Barnett for some kind of replacement. I just *LOVE* this thing...what a ball we're having with it!!! ;)

TORO1968
09-07-2005, 06:17 PM
I was wondering how long that thing was going to last... :D

When you get a new clutch setup installed, will you be putting the machine back on the dyno?

-Jordan

fyi
09-07-2005, 06:28 PM
More than likely. Curiosity would get the better of me otherwise. :)

We just have to be careful, because that 2864lb. steel drum is very hard on these engines to acclerate due to it's sheer mass. We'll carefully play around with it anyway when the time comes I'm sure. :)

plkmonster2
09-09-2005, 10:12 PM
Does a car dyno work for atv use?

fyi
09-09-2005, 10:18 PM
Yes, but it's hard on the machine.

nacs400ex
09-11-2005, 01:00 PM
I would say go with Hinson Clutch setup best out there. I wouldnt bother wasting my money on a barnett.

Run a Hinson Clutch Basket, and Stock plates. You could run a hinson pressure plate if you desire. Check into the 8-plate setups too. However, Im not sure whether they make them for the 350x.

fyi
09-11-2005, 05:28 PM
Unfortunately, according to Hinson's website, they do not offer *anything* for the 350x platform. :confused: