PDA

View Full Version : breaking the bead...

400exrider26
09-07-2005, 02:56 PM
i need a new front tire and the guys at the shop said that it is very hard to break the bead of the tire and rim... i asked if it was that hard and they said they had to use a hydrolic machine to do it! is it that hard to take a old tire off and put a new one on the rim correctly? can someone explian exactly what needs to be down?

hotrodbelair
09-07-2005, 03:27 PM
yea they are that hard my friend changed tires on his ds they tryed driving a truck over the tire it got right to the bead and the tire wouldnt move he ended up taking it to a atv dealer. it cost 20 bucks a tire i think. the reason y its so hard cause theres a bead lock on the inside of the bead that holds it there. and it is a pain in the ***** to get it to pop off of there

vinson581
09-07-2005, 05:32 PM
i just run it over with my truck :) and some BFgoodrich all terrains dont do any harm. get REALLY close to the bead, and then when your on it, get a friend to stand on it, and they will pop right off, stock or aftermarket tires, big or small, and then i just peal one side over with 2 big *** screw drivers, and then hold the rim, and push my feet up against the tire and pull the rim out! piece of cake. frounts are REALLY easy to do

v581

400exrider26
09-07-2005, 06:58 PM
is it hard to get them back on too?

vinson581
09-07-2005, 07:35 PM
i just use some shampoo, and they peal right over :) i kneel on the part i already got on

heres a tip.....!!!!!! you know rims are offset

stock is basically 4:1 frount! make sure the outside rim is where you pull it through the tire. when you put it back on....put it into the tire with the OUTSIDE FIRST. it makes a WORLD of difference!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AnthonyWhite
09-07-2005, 07:49 PM
wow you guys crack me up. I use a bead breaker with two tire wrenches to pull them off and put them back on. you can find a picture of a bead breaker and fabricate one or you can even buy them. there not that expensive and they are really simple. There are many different designs. (you dont need a hydrolic ram) I use the tire wrenches and wd40 to lube'em up. Oh, def make sure you take them off and put them on the correct side. I think its the shallow side of your rim.

lonestar13r
09-09-2005, 08:07 PM
I'v used a bottle jack allready, tire, then put the base of the bottle jack as close as possible to the bead , then pump the jack up , use a bumper or somthing that wont flex and try it that way, so your tires on ground, jack on tire, then top of jack is under a car bumper or somthing. -Ethan

400exrider26
09-10-2005, 06:52 AM
do you guys use speacial bead locker when you put it back on to hold the bead? i now some of you use things like wd-40 to get it on, but i heard there is speacial sticky stuff to make the bead hold and airtight seal, right?

quad2xtreme
09-10-2005, 06:54 AM
I am totally with Anthony on this one. I change tires using a hand bead breaker all the time and 3 tire spoons just to save a little time.

The only tires that ever came me any trouble when mounting were the Maxxis RAZR2. Very hard to get them to seal to the rim so you could start inflating. They are practically triangle shaped when UPS delivers them. I have 6 22" tires purchased at different times so it wasn't a fluke. I still highly recommend these tires to anyone riding a sport quad in really muddy, rutted conditions.

400exc
09-10-2005, 06:56 AM
i use a saver saw and cut it from the outside in about right before u hit the rim, but make sure you get cut the tire all the way up to the rim, but dont hit the rim, and then i took a screwdriver and peeled the cords off the rim, and it pops right off, takes about 20 min. to get one done, which might be long, but it worth it than taking it to the shop to have them take it off for 5-20 bucks extra

quad2xtreme
09-10-2005, 06:57 AM
I use a little soap to help slip the tire back on the rim. I've heard of guys putting a bead of clear silicon around the bead area just before inflating to create a better seal. I've never done it though since I've never encountered a problem not using the clear silicon.

400exc
09-10-2005, 07:05 AM
I just use an air compressor to push it out like putting air in the tires, then the tire seals itself

vinson581
09-10-2005, 07:45 PM
i take the valve core out.....then i charge my compressor up to 160 psi. stick the air gun in the stem and poof they seat the bead in 10seconds with a massive POP!

jeepnrocks
09-10-2005, 10:34 PM
its kinda tuff but the only reason garages use a hydraulic machine is becasue thats what they use for everything
you can buy a bead breaker or be creative!!