PDA

View Full Version : Problem With Hinson Clutch

416exduner
09-06-2005, 06:33 PM
I have a Hinson full race clutch, cost quite a bit of money, but now I have a problem. The screws that held on the plate behind the basket, the plate that houses the clutch tensioner springs that sit sideways, backed out sending the springs and the plate right into the cam chain and causing things to shred inside my motor. Has anyone ever heard of this problem happening and do I have to replace the whole clutch basket?

tprender
09-06-2005, 07:22 PM
Did you put this together or did someone else do the clutch? These screws are supposed to be locticed in. I have not heard of this, but anything can and will happen if you run them hard.

SHADETREE101
09-06-2005, 08:06 PM
when you are assembling the clutch basket you are supposed to use red loctite and the dent the tip of the screws with a punch to keep them from ratling out. the wiseco basket is assembled the same way too.

416exduner
09-06-2005, 09:22 PM
No I bought the bike with the clutch in it, I've had it for about a year and a half and haven't had any problems with it so far...but if you guys have heard of it, it doesn't make me feel so bad. So my understanding is I have to buy a whole new basket? Is this true or can I just get that plate with the springs in it?

mikeboone
09-06-2005, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by 416exduner
I have a Hinson full race clutch, cost quite a bit of money, but now I have a problem. The screws that held on the plate behind the basket, the plate that houses the clutch tensioner springs that sit sideways, backed out sending the springs and the plate right into the cam chain and causing things to shred inside my motor. Has anyone ever heard of this problem happening and do I have to replace the whole clutch basket?

Damn, no loctite. I would have the motor tore down and thoroughly cleaned to remove all metal debris including oil screen in cases and inline after oil tank. If the basket looks good I would reuse it.