PDA

View Full Version : Wondering how eveyones 400exs are doing

CTmxyfz
09-06-2005, 03:41 PM
Hey guys. I started this thread in the act of seeing how eveyone's 400exs are competing with the breed of production 450s these days. I infact own what i think is a real race bike(a lsr/gibson/crf450). I have owned a sick arse yfz and liked the crf better over and therefore i went back into time to a hybrid. I have had the 416ex alittle after i got my yfz stock along time ago and i had to race it this past weekend at unadilla MX track during the NEATV series due to carb problems on my yfz. How are your EXs holding against these 450s? I race the 4 stroke B and Open B classes here at NEATV. with the crf problems, i raceed the good ol' 416ex. Among going to the line, people stared and looked at me like i was nuts. Alot of the riders still know i had the bike, but i have been using the crf. Come to find out, i took 7th and 4th in the 4 stroke class with a 4th overall that day. In Open, i had a 7th and 12th finish for 13th overall. I was rubbed and pushed towards a hail bail that last open moto in which i hit that bail and did a superman face plant. We raced the unadilla amateur track and that track is fast with alot of straight aways and jumps with flat landings. it was a good time and i recieved alot of compliments from riders of all classes saying what a nice 400ex and what a nice job of riding i did to stay with the 450s. it does amaze me now how fast the production 450s and hybrids like my crf are after racing the 416ex once again. i had to jump that thing and fly into the corners as fast as i could to try and hang. Pulling up hills and out of corners really showed how the 450s fly. Thats my story of how the good ol' 400ex amazes me still. How have all the others been out there?

I need to look into a bigger carb! fully done up 416 running through a stock carb still.:( Can i get away with using a crf carb? maybe the trx carb? or stay with a 39mm?

250xridamatt
09-06-2005, 03:45 PM
I went to an open practice and I was racing around with some guys on 450rs. They would always take me in the straights, but when we got into the rythem sections I could take the lead back. It was nice to know that I could still compete on my outdated quad. I know it wasnt a real race, but all of these guys had as much or more experience than I do.

trx400exxracer
09-06-2005, 09:30 PM
I raced xc this weekend and on the start I pushed the button this one guy kicked I came off the line quicker and held him off ithe first open section and left him in the woods about nine miles into the first lap I was ahead of him and he hit a kicker in the fields to fast trying to keep up with me and he cracked his wrist in 2 places as the race went on I felt faster and faster and my dad was proud of me he said that it was the best race I raced ever I got major arm pump but never let go myclutch hand went num by the end of the second lap and I streched it in the open sections then at the end of the 3rd lap I pitted and got 45seconds to stretch my hands and I came around a fourth time to finish behind a guy on a 465ex but I had loads of fun and loved it

Rico
09-07-2005, 08:01 AM
Mines doing just fine......:D

trx400exxracer
09-07-2005, 02:10 PM
hey Rico let me see a picture of yours

JR3
09-07-2005, 02:38 PM
well heres a pic me leading thru the first turn wen my 400 was stock http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v367/250ex3/AOL1.jpg

jsmith2232
09-07-2005, 03:44 PM
In the sand it's close with the 450 r's depending on the rider until mid to upper 3rd and it's usually a bike or two behind the yfz's but I still put up a fight.