PDA

View Full Version : thermal/ceramic coating

Chino886
09-06-2005, 09:56 AM
What exactly does ceramic or thermal coating do? I have read stuff about ceramic coated exhaust?

K_Fulk
09-06-2005, 01:15 PM
It is a insulater. On a pipe it keep the heat in. The theory is the hotter the exhaust gass the faster it will flow out.

Some people also have the domes of there pistons done to help force the heat out in to the exhaust quicker.

cals400ex
09-06-2005, 01:40 PM
i recommend www.swaintech.com

Ex'r Marlin
09-06-2005, 04:24 PM
Per JET-HOT Coatings:

More Power, Less Heat

Applying "Jet Hot" to headers and manifolds increases power by insulating the intake and exhaust systems. Keeping heat out of the intake manifold and in the exhaust tubing boosts power by compressing the fuel/air charge. Independet test results have shown that "Jet-Hot" reduces header-surface temperatures by up to 300 degrees. Racers have reported horsepower gains over 3 percent.

Pappy
09-06-2005, 04:28 PM
there is tons of info available on these coatings, mainly on cars but the principle is the same for atv's

ceramic coating the top(crown) of a piston allows the heat to be spread more evenly over the top of the piston, and can also aid in pre detonation (nitrous,turbo applications)

there are also thermal coatings that when applied to the side of the piston(skirt) that will aid in wear, friction and either retain or shed oil. at times up to 3 coating processes can be done on the piston, all with different attributes.

the good part is, you can do it all yourself. ceramic coating is the hardest to get right, but other thermal coatings are very easy to do and do correctly.

Chino886
09-07-2005, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
there is tons of info available on these coatings, mainly on cars but the principle is the same for atv's

ceramic coating the top(crown) of a piston allows the heat to be spread more evenly over the top of the piston, and can also aid in pre detonation (nitrous,turbo applications)

there are also thermal coatings that when applied to the side of the piston(skirt) that will aid in wear, friction and either retain or shed oil. at times up to 3 coating processes can be done on the piston, all with different attributes.

the good part is, you can do it all yourself. ceramic coating is the hardest to get right, but other thermal coatings are very easy to do and do correctly.

does thermal coating change the diameter of the piston since it is being applied on the skirt? Can the average Joe do thermal coatings on their own pistons? I looked on the website above but it only gave prices. any info is greatly appreciated.

Pappy
09-07-2005, 02:56 PM
regular molydendum based coatings can be applied by anyone capable of following directions. its applied almost like spray paint and oven cured. the film thickness is so thin that it does not interfere with fitments or piston weight.

ceramic coating is a bit different and more difficult to do properly. both coatings can be buffed to achieve any clearence issues that could arise from mis- application.

i started doing molycoating on tons of parts and wasnt sure how well it worked. i have since spent some time with an engine builder who installs coated pistons and also coats his own parts. it is truly amazing at what can be achieved with these processes. i am no expert, i just find things like this interesting.

try searching molycoating or thermal coatings thru google.

Chino886
09-07-2005, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
regular molydendum based coatings can be applied by anyone capable of following directions. its applied almost like spray paint and oven cured. the film thickness is so thin that it does not interfere with fitments or piston weight.

ceramic coating is a bit different and more difficult to do properly. both coatings can be buffed to achieve any clearence issues that could arise from mis- application.

i started doing molycoating on tons of parts and wasnt sure how well it worked. i have since spent some time with an engine builder who installs coated pistons and also coats his own parts. it is truly amazing at what can be achieved with these processes. i am no expert, i just find things like this interesting.

try searching molycoating or thermal coatings thru google.

thanks, Pappy!

cals400ex
09-07-2005, 04:18 PM
another tip is to sand the top of your piston. this can help eliminate hot spots. just take a little sand paper and take the shine off the top of the piston. ;)

a thermal coating will also help eliminate hot spots. in theory, coatings are supposed to do other things like pappy mentioned.

Pappy
09-07-2005, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by cals400ex

in theory, coatings are supposed to do other things like pappy mentioned.

i also find it hard to believe some of the claims the manufactures make about these products, but i have witnessed some first hand.

a built dragster engine was broke in and dyno'd. the engine was disassembled and the pistons were coated along with various valve train parts. it was re dyno'd and achieved 40 hp. i saw the dyno, and have a hard time believing that it helped gain those numbers. maybe it was, but if the fella found other issues it could have easily accounted for some of that gain IMO.

on to things not engine related...

i starteed using molycoating on my firearms. not one has shown the slightest wear or signs of rust since coating. that includes the firearm that is carried everyday and exposed to the most corrosive thing i know of, sweat. it does work on the guns i can attest to that..lol

ive also been told it is best to run a piston before coating. i understand the reasoning behind it, but the performance of the coating is not surface area only. it actually embeds the material and if the color is worn away (piston skirt, firearm slide etc) the material is still fully protected and the coating is still performing its function. i was told the coloring is merely 2 fold. 1 being the applicator needs to see what is being applied, and 2 on certain objects appereance must be somewhat of a concern.

i also know that my sprockets show much less wear then those not treated on another quad with approx. the same amount of hours.

ill leave it up to someone alot smarter then me to explain the tech stuff, id be all ears to learn more!