PDA

View Full Version : ignition timing advance? how much?

Ononewheel
06-09-2002, 04:58 PM
What's up guys? First off I have not yet put a timing light on the old 440ex, here I go. With cars... generally speaking, good race motors like to have about 34 to 38 at most degrees advance TOTAL timing. What does the stock 400ex have and what do they seem to prefer? If some one has already done the research on this it would save me and everyone else a lot of time and money as well as make more power. I am really curious to see what you guys have come up with. I love to tune in horsepower. Matt fischer? What do you think?
Later fellas

Ononewheel
06-09-2002, 05:01 PM
Oh yea I forgot, these 400's have a box to control this. Is there a degree key that works???? Just wondering. I really don't know. Sorry if these are stupid questions.

Leo
06-09-2002, 05:13 PM
The timing advance is done electronically..

You can get an advance key that slightly advances the timing from sparks (and a few other places I believe) but that's about it for tuning options..

I suppose you could fabricates some type of adjustable mount for the pickup coil, but pulling the side cover to adjust it would be a pain in the rear :D

Someone was posting about an adjustable ignition system from MSD that was due out any time, but I haven't heard anything in a while.

Leo

Claas900
06-09-2002, 08:31 PM
Hi,Ononewheel ,Sparks,LRD,and a few other have a key for the 400,im not sure about the LRD bub i know the sparks is a 6 degree key,and it works just like you would do on a cam timeing,on a car.Only this a spark advance not a cam advance.Sparks,WB,LRD both have rev boxs for a 1000 incress in rmp's and also a spark advance,and yes you can fun both.And as a side note, LRD clams 2hp on there rev box.