PDA

View Full Version : MMI- Motorcycle mechanics institute

speedy400
09-05-2005, 03:45 PM
Hey I was accepted to MMI in Arizona starting next june 3rd I think. Signed up to work under all the Harley Davidson classes, Early, late model harleys, and I will be watching all the harley training movies and such so I can get a good job early on.. Whos with me?-darren

450robot
09-05-2005, 03:52 PM
good job man, i would like to go there for a honda course and become a mechanic for like tim farrs team

but i have my eyes set on mechanical engineering, so i can design the parts for motorcycles, and not just fix them

muff
09-05-2005, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by 450robot
but i have my eyes set on mechanical engineering, so i can design the parts for motorcycles, and not just fix them

same here :cool:

I know a few friends who are going to school down there, seem to be doing good so far...I'd love to take a few classes like that, always seem interesting

sampleez
09-05-2005, 05:51 PM
a buddy of mine went to mmi in florida. seems to be a pretty cool program. and he now makes like $25 an hour at a harley dealership.

i think the school is overpriced tho. i forget exactly how much, but it was a good ways up there.

Warnerade
09-05-2005, 06:00 PM
if he's maken 25 bucks an hour...i dont think his schooling was over prices...IMO

450robot
09-05-2005, 06:27 PM
yah, when i looked into it, it was incredibly expensive for that type of school, but i think $25 an hour more than makes up for it lol

Mxjunkie
09-05-2005, 06:37 PM
The guys all around here make almost 35-50 bucks an hour at the harley shops. I cant decide if I want to go for motorcycles or painting/auto body.. :scary:

450robot
09-05-2005, 06:38 PM
i dunno, that sportster you painted was bad ***

Mxjunkie
09-05-2005, 06:42 PM
I might do what most do and try and be a jack of all trades.. :p

450robot
09-05-2005, 06:56 PM
hahaha its jack of all trades

anyways, go for it, be all you can be

o yah, and paint my helmet

speedy400
09-06-2005, 11:47 AM
Its not that expencive... concidering your average 4 yr college you'll be spending.. maybe 12-16 grand a year just for the college, that'll bring you up to 60 grand. So I go to this school for about 24 grand, and you get $1000 worth of snap on tools for being accepted, then you get to work on your own bike(over 1 bike per person to work on at mmi). Also is it the only school that you can get a master tech. for Harley. So you are potentially going to get paid the same as the highest paid mechanic in the shop, right out of school.

They think of it this way the more classes you take for harley, the more the harley's(different types) the harley dealership can have in stock to sell. So if you take all the classes and such the dealerships will call you wanting you to work for them and all the other dealerships compete for you and you make more money.
I know a friend that is working in the cities that is making 50$ an hour right out of school, at a harley dealership. Cant complain with that. Whats your opinion?-darren

400grl
09-06-2005, 12:32 PM
I find it hard to believe that ANYONE can make $50 an hour as a Harley Tech......when our factory trained Porsche techs barely make half of that an hour flat rate.......when I worked at a BIG motorcycle dealer, the highest paid tech they had that had been there for about 7 years was making maybe $14 an hour. Let's be realistic.........

muff
09-06-2005, 01:23 PM
bring your quad to the dealer....rate is around $60 an hour, i'm sure the mechanic would see a good percentage of that ;)

speedy400
09-07-2005, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by muff
bring your quad to the dealer....rate is around $60 an hour, i'm sure the mechanic would see a good percentage of that ;)
ep, for example if you take you harley in for a 500 mi tune up/ fluid check= 300 bones.. Spendy! Harley knew what they were doing when they put together their engines, to do a basic rebuild on a harley you CAN NOT do it at home, I'm told it takes about $500 worth of specialty tools to get it apart. Therefore they charge a lot to work on the harleys at the shop. You dont see too many "at home do it yourselfer's" working on their harleys. -darren

WKY400EX
09-07-2005, 12:17 PM
If there any way to get some stats on Harley Tech. salaries? I've thought seriously about MMI for a little while now, so it'd be nice to know something that was 100%.

I-7
09-07-2005, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by 400grl
I find it hard to believe that ANYONE can make $50 an hour as a Harley Tech......when our factory trained Porsche techs barely make half of that an hour flat rate.......when I worked at a BIG motorcycle dealer, the highest paid tech they had that had been there for about 7 years was making maybe $14 an hour. Let's be realistic.........

Someone that I know that works for a Harley/Polaris dealer about an hour away from here makes 48 dollars an hour doing mechanic work.

speedy400
09-07-2005, 01:19 PM
Well you can call your local harley dealership, tell them your intrest in the subject and see if they'd tell you. For more info call uti at 2814436262 or toll free at 18003250354. Then ask them for your local rep(in your area). for UTI, they have many reps around the country. Set up an interview with your local rep if your seriously intrested. Good luck, let me know if you'll be attending next year.-darren

Mxjunkie
09-07-2005, 01:28 PM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by 400grl
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We have about 5-10 harley dealerships in just my area alone, We have mikes famous he has the biggest inventory of any hd shop and has 2 shops him self. Harleys and such are in huge demand in my area you'd be surprised how much they make. I talked to one this weekend he makes 45 and just started there.

flyin#5
09-07-2005, 01:32 PM
well you know ill be there... going for the multi line program. harleys just seem to oldschool for me:ermm: but then again... if we open a shop we'll need both type of mechanics;)

bwamos
09-07-2005, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by muff

My company charges $120 an hour for my time (engineering).

I see about $35 of that including benefits. $20/hr straight pay.

So take that $60/hr. and to be VERY giving.. we'll give the tech 40% of that including bennies. That would be $24/hr about $8 of that going to benefits.. so that leaves you at about $16 per hour left for payroll.