PDA

View Full Version : what should I get?

Nausty
06-09-2002, 03:08 PM
I am starting to need more power for the 400ex and I DO NOT KNOW what to get on the bore and who to bore and what else to get with it and whats best for me and the price. Basically is what I want is better all around power and reliability. I would like to be able to get my quad up to around 34hp or so. I would like to just buy what i'm gonna buy once and not be replacing later with something better. I want for it to idel with ease and be able to run pump fuel. I was kinda thinking taking it to a local shop to get bored to a 416 and putting in a 10:1 piston and it doesn't matter where I take it to get bored right? powerwise? Then I was thinking a tc mx grind drop in cam and then doing a port and polish but I don't know who i want to do it. And going full out with a tc racing or sparks motor is out of the question because I can't afford 1500 bucks. I was also thinking a 440emx duncan kit or something also.

Nausty
06-09-2002, 07:15 PM
any one have any suggestions on what I should do with the motor and what kit I should go with? Some input would be nice ;)

06-09-2002, 07:17 PM
JE 10:5.1 416 piston
TC mx grind cam
port and polisg job, you'll have a bad *** bike

Nausty
06-09-2002, 07:22 PM
Thats what I was kinda starting to think but does it matter who i send it to get port and polished? And for exhaust I was thinking about doing lrd but what does it sound like and where does it add power? I would kinda like a pipe that makes a low pitch rumble kinda and not a real abnoxios(spel?) sound.

06-09-2002, 07:47 PM
sell that peaice and buy a 250r:rolleyes:

just joking!!!!!!!

id say get what EXracer8601 said and you should have a sweet bike. my freind has those mods on his 416 and it was nice.
when you get everything put it let us know how it goes.

Nausty
06-09-2002, 07:50 PM
pry by next week we will have it ordered. We just sold our blaster and paid everything off that we need too and now when we sell our yz80 which one of my dads friends is gonna buy it I think but they were gonna think about it. Plus hes hes the guy we are building a track with. We already got one belly load dropped off of top soil.

Nausty
06-10-2002, 12:21 AM
so what else do you guys recomend?

Dave400ex
06-10-2002, 08:26 AM
I would get a JE 416 Piston with a High Compression, unless you don`t want to run Race Gas.
Then get a TC MX Cam
TC Port/Polish
38mm Lectron Carb
and the TC Pipe

ChadEXer
06-10-2002, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by WarriorMan
I would get a JE 416 Piston with a High Compression, unless you don`t want to run Race Gas.
Then get a TC MX Cam
TC Port/Polish
38mm Lectron Carb
and the TC Pipe
:)

06-10-2002, 09:41 AM
or marcums 416, cam, pipe, port, and piston it and it will hav some power for u

Evan
06-10-2002, 11:50 AM
Well if you want power and you have money, then the kit I bought is for you, maybe get a lower compression since you dont run race gas. Sparks Cam, piston & rings, new valve seals, gaskets and a FCR39 was like 1100 shipped next day. I know chad and warrior man swear by the lectron but if you want the ease of maintence like your stock carb go with the FCR, you will have no troubles what so ever. Whether the lectron makes more hp, its only a small amount that you or I wouldnt notice. If I were you I wouldnt do porting unless you dont mind not riding for awhile cuz it takes them as long to port as it does to build an engine like chads b/c you are at the back of the line. With my kit I have almost all the power I will ever use. The cam is designed for mx too, its mostly midrange, which is where you want it on a track. With this kit from the day I ordered to the time it was running again took me only 7days! It could have been done in less though. But really if money is a factor, just buy the piston and the cam, you can get by without the carb for a while. And for 1100 for this kit vs a full tc 416 it does pretty good, cheaper and I am running it while others are waiting to ge there motor built.

ChadEXer
06-10-2002, 12:14 PM
if your going to tear it apart to bore it then definately go ahead and get the head ported\polished! If you dont want to wait to get an engine builder to do it then get a reputable machine shop to do it! I can have a complete race port\polish done for you for $125 in 1 week!!!!

06-10-2002, 12:49 PM
Get the marcums 420SS kit,,he can also port the head for ya too,,mine will be goin to him soon for a 3 angle job and a port,,but I can't discuss the price,,Terry sure is a heck of a guy..:D

Dave400ex
06-10-2002, 01:09 PM
X-Rider I really don`t like the Lectron Carbs. I would Buy the FCR over the Lectron anyday, but if he is going to Build a TC Motor the Lectron would be better. The Marcum`s would be fine, but a TC or Sparks would be better.

06-10-2002, 01:31 PM
yeh sell it and get a 250r

Nausty
06-10-2002, 01:38 PM
x rider I think I kinda like that setup but do I have to have extra stuff done like heavy duty valve springs or anything like that? I think I will probably end up getting a full exhaust system instead of the fcr carb though and then getting a fcr as I get more money. About the port and polish, I heard that on the 400ex they were really rough and was thinking I could just go along it with a dremal or something like that? If so is there anything I should know if I do that or if its worth it power wise and time wise? And what is a 3 angle valve job? Does it really matter who ports and polishes it? Also chad exer that sounds pretty good to me but is there a big loss of reliability or anything when you port it out. Because like I said I would like for it to idel well and be pretty reliable.

Nausty
06-10-2002, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by EX3OO
yeh sell it and get a 250r

yeah right then I can't race in the 4 stroke classes and have to start over modding it and a lot of the 250r owners in these forums are always fixing them and are saying if it isn't one thing its another. I just want to stay away from 250r's and i think 4 stroke engines are better for quad motors if you don't live in the dunes or drag race.

Evan
06-10-2002, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Nausty
x rider I think I kinda like that setup but do I have to have extra stuff done like heavy duty valve springs or anything like that? I think I will probably end up getting a full exhaust system instead of the fcr carb though and then getting a fcr as I get more money. About the port and polish, I heard that on the 400ex they were really rough and was thinking I could just go along it with a dremal or something like that? If so is there anything I should know if I do that or if its worth it power wise and time wise? And what is a 3 angle valve job? Does it really matter who ports and polishes it? Also chad exer that sounds pretty good to me but is there a big loss of reliability or anything when you port it out. Because like I said I would like for it to idel well and be pretty reliable.

nothing extra, no valve springs are needed etc, its a drop in cam.
dont get a full system exhaust, its a waste of money, get a slipon like a TC or do like I did, buy a cheap T-4 pro circuit and cut about 4-6 inches off the end and it really increases the lowend but its louder, grind the welds on the stock header and it will be fine.
port and polish and 3 angle valve job, well I didnt b/c I didnt have the time to wait for a port job from sparks, yeah I would say it makes a difference in who does your porting, whether they know what they are doing or not. Every thing only adds little power and then when you add them up you will have a pretty good amount of power, but I am telling you, with the setup I have, its enough to be competitive as long as you are a good rider. You have to idle it up with any cam I belive other wise you will ruin the cam. Thats a good thing about the FCRs and really any Kehin, just turn the idle screw in and idle it up. My buddy with the lectron, his will not idle at the same rpm and sometimes going through whoops it will stick. The lectron has a mind of its own. Mine is pretty reliable, I held it pinned on the road the other day and no problems.

EricB
06-10-2002, 04:26 PM
from what i've read so far the best larger bore kit is a 416. i would think twice about just getting a drop in cam though. if you want to spend the money for seals and differnt springs i'd think about getting a more agresive cam. you will see a larger preformance gain paired with the bore kit. think about the carb, exhaust obviously. titanium valve springs were like 70 dollars i think i read somewhere. but if your not going to be doing any valve jobs or porting then don't worry about the carb, but if you are getting head work done get a new carb. you'll be starving for gas.

the best word of adivce i think i could give you is, don't do it untill you have the money to get everything you want, and don't skimp do it right the first time.

bama400ex
06-10-2002, 07:12 PM
dont even think about doing the porting yourself unless you are good with a grinder and dont care to mess up your head. i dont think you'd notice a huge difference haveing it ported and still using the stock carb. but it would probally be worth the money to have it ported if you went with an fcr. and porting will not hurt reliability. but if it is ported wrong it can kill the bottom end. a 3 angle vavle job is like this. where the vavle seats it has 3 different angles on it. it has the same angles on the vavles so it sits perfect. it helps it flow and seals it better. sorry im not to good at explaining things on a comp.:rolleyes: anyways. if you plan to leave the head stock theres one thing you should do. when you have the head off, poor gas in all the ports and make sure none leaks out around the vavles. if you do it will kill your compression and that would suck having just finished your motor and not having full comp.

Dave400ex
06-10-2002, 09:50 PM
So Nausty have you figured out what Setup you are going to do yet? I would say the TC or Sparks.

Nausty
06-10-2002, 11:23 PM
I'm leaning towards sparks but I know their x-6 exhaust is pretty expensive and don't know what pipe is similar the x-6 and what it sounds like. And I dunno how much money i will have when we sell the yz80 and would think i would be better off with tc since I think it would be cheaper and getting more stuff like port and polish and fcr carb too. How much is the tc racing full exhaust? I know tc racing makes most of there stuff to put out power in the bottem but when I'm not at a loose track I am using the mid to top and when i'm trail riding around here i'm in the mid. So where does sparks focus most of there power i'm kinda thinking they focus it on the mid to top? Which is what I am usually using at the main track I ride at but in the future it will probably be a low-mid track. gah this is hard. I think if I get a do sparks I will wait on the port and polish and the fcr carb until later and then have them do the port and polish next year after I get a-arms and axle and maybe tires.

Evan
06-10-2002, 11:56 PM
the sparks pipe sounds good, kinda like a streetbike in some ways. Its just not the sound I like though. I like the way mine sounds and the TC. I would say my cam makes the power in the midrange, in other words you have to ride it different than stock, sort of like a 2 stroke. TC doesnt make a full pipe, just a slip on. I would get a T-4 b4 i would get a TC, several reasons though, cheaper, options(quite core, low end cap) no cutting, etc. The cam is great in the woods, although sometimes its a handfull, pulling wheelies in the turns. I dunno what your time frame is like but if you want port and polish your quad will most likely be down for a while unless you go to a no namer and then I wouldnt want them to do it.

Nausty
06-11-2002, 12:58 AM
I think i'm gonna go with sparks

Nausty
06-11-2002, 01:00 AM
I think i'm gonna go with sparks and wait on the port and polish and the fcr carb and so everything I will probably get will be boring it to 416, sparks cam, x-6 exhaust, 10:1 piston. sounds good to me

Dave400ex
06-11-2002, 09:08 AM
Yeah that sounds Good. I would get a Higher Compression Piston though. The Higher the Compression the more Torque. You could get the 10:8 like Rico has or I think there is also a 10:5 or something around there. When you have Sparks Port and Polish the Head it will take a while, but it will be well worth it.

Nausty
06-11-2002, 11:12 AM
what is the highest I can go with 92 octane? because I would like to be able to run pump fuel.

knighttime
06-11-2002, 11:25 AM
is the max for 92 octane

Ex_Rider43
06-11-2002, 12:39 PM
the duncan racing 440 kit include piston cam sleeve, job,and also the full exhaust system , thats why my bike have it and its 1850 w/h shipping

Nausty
06-11-2002, 12:45 PM
yeah I don't 1850 bucks though I would like to get most of it now and then come back a little bit later and finnish the motor off

knighttime
06-11-2002, 01:09 PM
look what terry will set u up with

10.8:1 piston kit

xr400 camshaft

viton valve seals

cometic gasket set

ALL THAT FOR $300 OR LESS (rico will know for sure)

a local shop will rebore your cylinder for about $50

if u get the service manual from helminc.com and a torque wrench, metric sockets, metric allen wrenches, etc., u and maybe your father can do all the work yourselves. It's not the easiest thing, but if u have a good work area and pay close attention to detail, u guys can do it.

At least a muffler is also needed.

If u do this I promice u will have a giant smile :D on your face once u ride it.

U won't believe the difference.

AND U WONT SPEND ALL YOUR F'N MONEY IN THE PROCESS.

06-11-2002, 01:13 PM
Knighttime's got a point on the money issue. Your only as fast as your body will let ya go,,no matter how fast your motor is your body will stop ya way before the motor does..