PDA

View Full Version : 250EX rear end noise

06-09-2002, 03:06 PM
Friday I bought a 2003 250EX and this past weekend I've been riding it. The problem is that the rear-end has a loud whine and lots of driveline clunk when you blip the throttle in gear. I have a 2001 Recon and it's not noisy or cluncking when you blip the throttle.

I changed the engine oil which looked fine and the rear end lube which looked very metallic (lots of shavings). So I think the rearend has got some problems. I'm going to have the dealer fix it under warranty this week (I hope).

Has anyone else had problems problems with their 250EX before ? Isn't the 250EX's driveline normally quite ? I know the Recon's is.....

:(

06-09-2002, 03:38 PM
drain all the oil out of the driveshaft and change it

Striker49
06-09-2002, 04:17 PM
I have had no problems with mine. Def take that back to the dealer and have it fixed or make em give ya a new one. Normally it is quiet, and it should be. The only overall problem I have had with mine is that the front end is sqeaking. Its all the a-arm joints and im just to lazy to take it apart and fix it. :cool:

06-09-2002, 04:22 PM
yeah mine squeaked to it was so F-ing anoying

06-09-2002, 07:13 PM
no probs with mine, ya my front end squeaks to

06-09-2002, 07:21 PM
yea that motherf*cker squeeks and i wanna kill it its so anoying

Striker49
06-09-2002, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by rukahss
yea that motherf*cker squeeks and i wanna kill it its so anoying

haha, no kidding. Goin through the yard or somin and over ever little bitty bump it squeaks. It pisses me off and my dad put grease on the outside of the joints thinking it was gonna work after I told him it wouldnt and guess what.........it still squeaks.
Im just to dang lazy to get out there and tear it apart to grease it all, kinda pointless when its gonna do it again in a couple months.

06-09-2002, 08:48 PM
Are Honda dealers pretty good about doing warranty work ?

It's gonna piss me off if I get static from the dealer about fixing this whining differential. I can't imagine they would because I've bought a 2001 Recon, 2001 XR100 and a 2003 250Ex from them.

It really bites because I like the 250Ex allot, it runs except for the gear whine and backlash.

Do your 250EX's have any backlash to them ???

$$$moneyex
06-10-2002, 10:22 AM
mine squekes i put on wd 40 last night hope it works

ChadEXer
06-10-2002, 10:48 AM
My 250 has that clunking sound but its only when im in too high of a gear gassing on it!

06-10-2002, 11:02 AM
mine also does it when im in to high of a gear gassing it. i also noticed the rearend sounded louder when i installed the aluminum skidplate. not a grinding noise though, just picking up more of a vibration of the gears turning

ChadEXer
06-10-2002, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by brokeitin2
mine also does it when im in to high of a gear gassing it. i also noticed the rearend sounded louder when i installed the aluminum skidplate. not a grinding noise though, just picking up more of a vibration of the gears turning
I guess maybe thats normal then!!

06-10-2002, 03:12 PM
I took the 250EX to the dealer this morning,no fuss at all. They said they would take it apart today and tell the Honda rep whats wrong. The dealer said Honda will probably replace the entire rear end carrier. That way they don't have to fuss with setting up the gears.

I should get it back this weekend, can hardly wait. It will be nice not having the clunk or gear whine.

06-19-2002, 07:54 PM
I got the 250EX back today and it sounds much better.
The new rearend cost Honda $317 + $130 labor, too bad they didn't build it right the first time. It took a week and a half to complete the job (waiting on parts) and I'm happy to get it back.

Thanks to those who responded,
Jim:)

ATVer14
06-19-2002, 08:29 PM
My dads 250's front end squeeked alot, so I decided to take it apart last weekend and lube everything up. Well, at least thats what I had planned. The A-Arm joints that attach to the frame are sealed, you can't get into them, and to top it all off, they're spring loaded joints. When you take your shock off, try to move the tire up and down, it will get stiffer as you move it upwards. There's even little grooves on the ends of the joints to bite into the frame so that the springs work right. At least that was my take on it. Has anyone else experienced this?

Scott
06-20-2002, 10:55 AM
Hmmm... Noisy rearend.... Did you eat beans or Taco Bell before you rode? Or did you have a g/f on the back with you?

:devil