PDA

View Full Version : Couple questions

400exrules
09-05-2005, 09:57 AM
Im wanting to put a cam in my 400 for alittle faster times at the drag strip. Got a few questions. I have a stock bore, but i might get a 416 later.

1. stage 1 or stage 2? what brand?

2. will i need to rejet?

3. change exhaust?

i asked #3 because the guy i bought my 400 from said it had a full hmf pipe. but everyone else tells me its a slipon. so ill post a pic, and maybe someone will know. And if its a slipon, should i get an hmf header for it, or get a sparks x-6 full sys.?
Also, the guy i bought it from gave me the "stock" header, so i have an extra header, both look the same...:confused:

oh and what is a cam core??

pic:

400exrules
09-05-2005, 09:57 AM
another, these pics are old:

Iliketogofast
09-05-2005, 10:03 AM
Well, if you're going to get a 416, just wait til you get it and get the Stage 2. But right now I don't know how a stage 2 would do on a stock bore motor. What a higher lift cam does is lets the valves stay open longer. If you don't have the space (Or the compression to smash it all in) for the extra fuel/air, then it's just going to go out the exhaust on the compression stroke. You'll just be wasting it.

400exrules
09-05-2005, 10:04 AM
would a stage 1 work good for now? hard to install? rejetting needed?

EXracer83
09-05-2005, 11:08 AM
Thats a stock headpipe dude. A cam core is your old cam, you buy a new one they take your old one and the price is a little lower an they regrind it to how they want it and sell it for an outrageous price.

400exrules
09-05-2005, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by EXracer83
Thats a stock headpipe dude. A cam core is your old cam, you buy a new one they take your old one and the price is a little lower an they regrind it to how they want it and sell it for an outrageous price.

i belive you, but how can you tell, cuz the guy straight up said its a full system and he put it on, but he also gave me another header that he said was the ''stock'' one...:confused: :ermm: err wtf...they both have the same heatshields on them too.

So if i got a cam, would i need to get a full system? should i just get an hmf header and put it on? or sparks full?

zeppelin
09-05-2005, 12:46 PM
if you are looking for more top end you might want to get the stage 3 its the old stage 2, and the new stage 2 between stage 1 and the old stage 2 oh and im refering to hotcams

hondarider2006
09-05-2005, 02:32 PM
That looks like a slip on to me, and sorry dude but you can't just buy the HMF header for it...but you can go with the FMF powerbomb, very common set up;) And as far as cams...if your going to do it, get the 416 at the same time and go with the stage 2. I run the 426 11:1 with the hotcam stage 2 and its awsome. for exhaust I run a TC shorty with the stock header, and it works fine for me, but than again I race MX, which my pipe was designed for. Get the FMF for your HMF, you won't be disapointed;)

400exrules
09-05-2005, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by hondarider2006
That looks like a slip on to me, and sorry dude but you can't just buy the HMF header for it...but you can go with the FMF powerbomb, very common set up;) And as far as cams...if your going to do it, get the 416 at the same time and go with the stage 2. I run the 426 11:1 with the hotcam stage 2 and its awsome. for exhaust I run a TC shorty with the stock header, and it works fine for me, but than again I race MX, which my pipe was designed for. Get the FMF for your HMF, you won't be disapointed;)

well i was thinkin about just gettin a stage 1 cam (dont know what brand yet) because im not positive if i want to do the 416, or a piston yet. What would the power difference be: if i got the stage1 with stockbore/stockpiston, or if i got the stage2 with stockbore/stockpiston? And would a full system work better with a cam then my slip-on, because i was planning on gettin a full sparks, cuz all the guys at the drag strip with worked motors run a full system sparks.

the only thing really keepin me from goin with the 416 is i dont feel confident gettin into the motor like that, i would need some help. i think ill be able to do the cam tho, it seems fairly simple.

prepracing
09-05-2005, 06:11 PM
416 is on the border line whether or not u need an aftermarket headpipe, I race with a bunch of them and its about 50/50 with stock headers and aftermarket headers. And everybody swears that theirs is better than the other. But if you do headwork ( porting) then I would go with an aftermarket header. Also if decide to go with a Hotcam, they have no core charge.

400exrules
09-05-2005, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by prepracing
416 is on the border line whether or not u need an aftermarket headpipe, I race with a bunch of them and its about 50/50 with stock headers and aftermarket headers. And everybody swears that theirs is better than the other. But if you do headwork ( porting) then I would go with an aftermarket header. Also if decide to go with a Hotcam, they have no core charge.

whats everything i would have to do for a 416?

like...send out the cylinder to get it bored, bigger piston, higher comp piston, cam...etc.?

hondarider2006
09-05-2005, 09:10 PM
You shouldn't have to send you cylinder anywhere, I am sure there is someone local by you that can bore it out. Give C&D a call, they will hook you up with everything you need. Lets just say my 426(not a WHOLE lot more than a 416 power wise) with a hotcam stage 2, pipe and some other things, stay ahead of my buddys 400ex with a stage 1, uni filter, HMF slip-on and jetted about 4-5 quad lenghts on the drag strip;)