PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal???

QuadJunkies
09-04-2005, 07:03 PM
We are redoing my Tranny and noticed that some of the tranny was painted black, is this becuase its heat treated ?? Why would it be black??

QuadJunkies
09-04-2005, 07:05 PM
also, Im not sure what its called something like Cryogenetically treated metal, its where you take it like below -300 degrees F. and and briging the temp. up slowly to harden the metal.

Anyone know of this process and where I could have it done?? Also, whats the cost and Pros and cons??

QuadJunkies
09-05-2005, 11:07 AM
Is this^^ really that uncommon for quad riders to have done to ther gears??? :confused: Thats what I want to do to my new Tranny gears...

JDiablo
09-05-2005, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
also, Im not sure what its called something like Cryogenetically treated metal, its where you take it like below -300 degrees F. and and briging the temp. up slowly to harden the metal.

Anyone know of this process and where I could have it done?? Also, whats the cost and Pros and cons??

I have heard of something like that before....they freeze it in liquid nitrogen then bring it back to room temp.

But my best guess would be to PM mikeboone he deals with alot of Ex engines

QuadJunkies
09-05-2005, 11:32 AM
Is he BOONE450r??

NacsMXer
09-05-2005, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
Is he BOONE450r??

Nope. His username is mikeboone ;) :)

mikeboone
09-05-2005, 06:34 PM
I am Boone:cool:

I have never seen a black 400ex tranny though in oil-runout cases most of motor parts will get very dark from extreme heat. Did yours?

Would prlly be good investment to get the gears cryo treated if not too pricey seeing as your bottom end is split now. (Complete gear, shaft, etc from Honda for all is about $1000)

Do you have alot of shear marks on the 16 tooth gear? This rides on outside of cases and prolly 1/5 of the motors I have tore down had small cracks on a few teeth. I think Honda may have updated the gear on the 04 model but not sure.

QuadJunkies
09-06-2005, 07:59 AM
Hi Mike! :)

WEll, you lost me a littel bit on this one :p , but No- I no I have no shear marks on the 16 tooth, NEver had any oil run out or any major overheating. I just thought maybe these parts may have come from the Essembly this color??
So how common is it for people to have there gears Cryo treated on quads?a 1000.00 is ALOT of money ! :eek2: I hear Cryo isnt too expensve t odo, but not sure where to check into this .????