PDA

View Full Version : Lemon yfz?

Weezle
09-04-2005, 05:01 PM
Hi,

I got me an 05 yfz last fall and I have had nothing but issues since I got it. When I first brought it home, it was running fair. Since I was used to riding quads with twist throttles, I changed out mine ASAP. I also removed the air filter and ran with a k&n. I made no changes to needle position. I had no issues at first, but soon a development began.

The quad would start fine cold, and sounded fine running (except the lean popping), the engine began stalling if I held in the clutch. I tried to adjust the idle, but seemed that no position would help. The problem progressed to the point that I began to have issues starting the quad, even warm. A couple of times I even got stranded.

The time I was stranded I tried many times to get it to start, and ended up killing the battery. But I did not know if it was dead because I was hearing a clicking noise on a solenoid somewhere around the battery. So I returned the quad to the dealer for warranty work, and told them the story.

I was told that my battery was dead, but there was nothing wrong with the idle. It was returned to me with a charged battery. I took it out near my home, where it ran decent for a couple hours, then the symptoms began to return.

I returned the quad to the dealer again, complaining of the constant stalling. They told me that the removed the carb for cleaning, noting that there is a preservative that is put on the quad at shipping that was notorious for clogging the jets.( yeah, ok...)

I returned home, and the quad ran fine. the same story repeats only this time, I cannot ever get the quad started at all. I am trying to find a solution since my warranty is expired. I did some research and found a couple things. 1 was the jetting at factory setting. I moved the position to #5. second was the changing to twist throttle. The instructions that I received never even mentioned the throttle switch in the thumb throttle. I recently found that I was to clip the switch and connect the wires, so I did so.

I suspect a fuel flow problem. So I checked the floats in the carb, they seem fine. I did find a little bit of contamination on the needle, cleaned and re-installed at the new setting #5. I verified fuel flow to the carb, and I do have new gas. I verified that I am getting spark at the plug. I reset the idle screw to 2.5 turns out, as some recommended.

I suspect fuel starvation since I get no changes durring ignition.

One thing was weird is I did leave the fuel on for a few hours and I returned to find a pool on the floor.

I hope one of you experts could help out a newb get better at maintaining my awesome garage queen.

thx

MJNOVA
09-05-2005, 05:37 PM
Clean and re-clean the needle---that lets the fuel flow when the float lets it open.. I have a few and have seen your problem.

MJNOVA
09-05-2005, 05:38 PM
Replace the gas valve----I have had TWO break down the rubber and drop peices down the fuel line.. making the needle stick...

Weezle
09-05-2005, 07:39 PM
will do.. thx! I did have a problem with the valve. I pulled it before and looked for contamination in the filter. I cycled it also and got flow, but ill change it out. appriciate it.

MAaudioX10
09-05-2005, 07:48 PM
What is the stock needle position for a YFZ? If it is like any other quad then there are 5 notches. On my Predator, stock, the needle was on the 3rd , middle, notch. I have a 450R carb on it and even that needle has 5 notches and I run that on the 3rd, middle, notch.

If the YFZ is indeed like other quads then here is my confusion, why is it on notch 5? Also, do you consider the #5 notch the very top or the very bottom??

Call me crazy but, it sounds like you are extremely rich. With only a K&N filter, assuming your baffle is still in, you should only have to touch the main jet and possibly the pilot but, the change should be subtle.

I have no idea why you would even mess with the needle what-so-ever.

Davids440ex
09-06-2005, 02:10 PM
if you are running it and it gets warm and starts to cut out you have carb problems since you took off the air box lid and put an air filter on it and didnt touch it, you have jetting problems, this is something i cant tell you what to do becuase i have to hear and ride the bike to tell you whats wrong with the carb, but you problem is from your carb

09-06-2005, 03:13 PM
i would have to say it is a combination of jetting and tight intake or exhaust valves. check the clearance if the valves are to tight you will loose compression and the bike will begin to be hard to start and after a while it will not start at all. have you tried to pull start the bike to see if it will run?

Weezle
09-06-2005, 04:11 PM
the stock position on my yfz was position 4. there are 7 slots on my needle. the thick end of the needle is position 1.

I messed with the needle because if you do a search for jetting in the yfz forum, most of the guys are saying that the stock position is lean. Also my quad was demonstrating the effects of bieng lean by popping. I wanted to try to increase some flow.

Yes the quad does stall when warm. But I had never removed the lid till now. trying new things. I did suspect a jetting problem as stated before, that is why I adjusted...now if the friggin thing would just start!

I have not had the time to work on it for a couple day's will try to see if I can get a pull start here asap.

Thank you for the replies!

Davids440ex
09-06-2005, 05:19 PM
take out your spark plug and tell me what color is it

sampleez
09-06-2005, 05:20 PM
when you turn it over and it don't start, does it sound like it's spinning over really fast? with the battery in good shape. i had that happen once on a different quad, and it ended up being the valves way too tight.

Weezle
09-06-2005, 05:49 PM
The plug is black in color, but has no soot buildup.

when i attempt to start, sounds normal...just no ignition at all. movement of the throttle I can tell a difference in pressure.

I sure hope its not the valves, looks a little in depth to adjust.

I may just bite the bullet and take her in...

Weezle
09-06-2005, 07:07 PM
Weak spark.....its running! woot. I knew I shoulda changed that first !! anyways thanks all, now to trim it up!!

stocktires
09-06-2005, 09:29 PM
Black plug means your wet fouling. Thats why your getting a weak spark I would think.

KH426
09-08-2005, 05:49 PM
jetting on my yfz with a k&n filter and baffel out is 168 main 45 pilot and needle in stock hole runs perfect. Adjusting your valves is a bit tricky but not to bad, that is what I would check or timing.

BSTURDIVANT
09-08-2005, 08:44 PM
We had problems with some YFZ's- replaced with higher amp batteries and cured the problem!! Would stall and run badly when the fan came on! Starter worked fine but fan pulled the voltage down!

300EX_HMF
09-09-2005, 06:29 PM
first thing id do is i would get rid of that k&n filter cause i herd if the motors are titanium valved u want thaem valves to be clean as possilble. go get a uni!!