PDA

View Full Version : Stock clutch kits???

QuadJunkies
09-04-2005, 03:11 PM
Is ther eanywhere to purchase a full Clutch kit(OEM) or do you have to order everything separate??? :confused:

I HATE the Barnett cluch kit and am pulling it as we speak, I do NOT reccomend this to anyone :ermm:

tprender
09-04-2005, 03:15 PM
You have to buy all of the OEM parts by themselves from Honda.

QuadJunkies
09-04-2005, 03:45 PM
that Sucks :ermm:

TCracin440ex
09-04-2005, 03:57 PM
http://216.37.204.205/Honda_OEM/HondaATV.asp?Type=13&A=92&B=9

tells you the number of everything you need...i think 6 steels, 7 fibers, and 5 springs

sorry to hear the barnette didnt work out for you

QuadJunkies
09-04-2005, 06:38 PM
Have you heard any good about the EBC?? I cant afford the Hinson right. now Ive got wear on my Barnett from 5 rides, stock I had almost three years and it still wasnt in really bad shape :huh

TCracin440ex
09-04-2005, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
Have you heard any good about the EBC?? I cant afford the Hinson right. now Ive got wear on my Barnett from 5 rides, stock I had almost three years and it still wasnt in really bad shape :huh

ive only used the barnette clutches...and i must admit now that i sit back and think about it...my clutch really was hard to pull on my 250x...i think them springs are WAYYYY too stiff...

so now i know when/if i ever replace the clutches in my 400ex...to go with the stock clutches and springs

TCracin440ex
09-04-2005, 06:44 PM
I cant afford the Hinson right. now

i dont think hinson makes clutch kits...i think they only make clutch hubs, clutch baskets, and clutch componets(sp)

EDIT: i just checked the hinson website and i stand corrected they do make clutch kits...and they are on the pricey side

QuadJunkies
09-04-2005, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by TCracin440ex
i dont think hinson makes clutch kits...i think they only make clutch hubs, clutch baskets, and clutch componets(sp) right, what I meant was the cost for the whole essembly is not a price I can afford right now.;)

TCracin440ex
09-04-2005, 06:51 PM
right, what I meant was the cost for the whole essembly is not a price I can afford right now.;)

yea...the whole 8 plate conversion kit is 674.00...and not many people can drop that much money on a set of clutches...

TCracin440ex
09-04-2005, 06:57 PM
i say go with your stock clutch kit...i dont think from what you have told me that an aftermarket would be any better....and honda uses a good clutch....

ive found this to be true on several of hondas things....for instance stock honda brake pads last alot longer than any aftermarket pad ive ever used

your looking at about 143.34 for a stock clutch with everything....thats directly from honda OEM....its 129.84 w/o shippin plus another 13.50 with shipping...

TCracin440ex
09-04-2005, 07:01 PM
what i really dont understand in your case is...my buddy has the EXACT same clutch kit in his 440ex....and his clutch lever is just as smooth to pull in as anything...he has an aftermarket clutch lever as well...

and from what your saying....yours is hard to pull, and already showing signs of wear....idk maybe you should call barnette and ask them

QuadJunkies
09-04-2005, 07:16 PM
we thought about it ,my oil is hashed FAST too! I mean REALLY fast!! It will look like tar in only a few riders!I NEVER had this w/my Stock stuff, seems like it lasted much better too.

TCracin440ex
09-04-2005, 07:18 PM
we thought about it ,my oil is hashed FAST too! I mean REALLY fast!! It will look like tar in only a few riders!I NEVER had this w/my Stock stuff, seems like it lasted much better too.

i feel bad because i was the 1 that reccomended the barnette clutch....i priced the stocker for you and posted it above...

QuadJunkies
09-04-2005, 07:21 PM
i feel bad because i was the 1 that reccomended the barnette clutch....i priced the stocker for you and posted it above... thats Ok ;) No worries, not everyone likes the same stuff nor do they all have the same sucess;) Just like alot of peeps dont agree with stock plates, I for one never had any major problems ,thsts why I think Ill go back to them.. Like the ole saying..."why fix something thats not broke".... I just thought it would improve my clutching.

TCracin440ex
09-04-2005, 07:23 PM
thats Ok ;) No worries, not everyone likes the same stuff nor do they all have the same sucess;) Just like alot of peeps dont agree with stock plates, I for one never had any major problems ,thsts why I think Ill go back to them.. Like the ole saying..."why fix something thats not broke".... I just thought it would improve my clutching.

im glad you forgive me....i say you aught to call barnette and say you have clutch wear after 5 rides and see if you can get some sort of refund??

QuadJunkies
09-04-2005, 08:48 PM
im glad you forgive me....i say you aught to call barnette and say you have clutch wear after 5 rides and see if you can get some sort of refund?? ill let ya know what happens ;)

insaneracin2003
09-04-2005, 09:34 PM
i am having with my Barnette Dirt Digger clutch kit also,the pull is not the problem,it is the slipping when it gets hot.....never had the problem with the stockers.i think im changing to.....

Dave400ex
09-04-2005, 10:38 PM
Tina go with the Sparks or GT Thunder 8 plate clutch kit. Much better then the stocker or those other kits, and you can still use all your other stock clutch parts. I've been running mine for over a year with no problems, and when it was apart to fix the gears, my mechanic told me the plates were still in great shape.

prepracing
09-05-2005, 04:45 AM
thats odd, Barnette is the only thing that has held up in my 426, I would definately call them. BTW what kind of oil are you running, that may be whats eating up your clutch and prematurely making the oil dirty :confused:

QuadJunkies
09-05-2005, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by prepracing
thats odd, Barnette is the only thing that has held up in my 426, I would definately call them. BTW what kind of oil are you running, that may be whats eating up your clutch and prematurely making the oil dirty :confused: I have only ever used Honda oil,Ive NEVER had an issue with my oil, so I shouldnt be having one now. :)

So how much is the Sparks or GT kit?? I have really like dealing with GT i nthe past, Ill check into them if they arent more than Stock

Dave400ex
09-05-2005, 10:15 AM
The Sparks kit I got for $130. The GT Thunder is around $215, but includes more stuff. The way to go for sure, shifting is so much better then the stock setup...

Rico
09-06-2005, 11:50 AM
Go with a Hinson basket and keep the rest of the clutch stock.

Do the 8 plate kit from Laz if you want to upgrade. I"ll never put any plates in my except stock, the rest are junk.

QuadJunkies
09-06-2005, 12:24 PM
I cant afford a new basket :( and I dont really need one right now either, thats why Im trying to avoid the whole Hinson set up.lol I know you have told me everytime to go with it , I wish I could but I cant ..trust me, I talked to Troy about it and he says NO :grr: