PDA

View Full Version : Axis and Elka... whats the difference???

Ex_Rider43
06-09-2002, 12:46 PM
when I look at axis and elka's triple rates I didnt see a big difference between them.can you tell me one if there is one and also do you ever try these shocks ?? how did it change compare to the stock shocks??

Foxrage
06-09-2002, 01:42 PM
There isnt much of a difference in design but alot of difference in valving and quality of parts they use. Also a price difference. If i were you i would delete this thread!!!

Ex_Rider43
06-09-2002, 01:46 PM
why??

kabd69667
06-09-2002, 02:37 PM
Cuz a lot of people really dont' konw about shocks, and just give their biased opinion on them. Its going to turn into an Elka sucks, they're cheap shocks vs Axis, God of everything. Thats how it was last time. I personally love my elka's. They were good priced, had the features i wanted, and provide all that i need.

Nausty
06-09-2002, 03:12 PM
yup I love my elka's now I can jump anything I want now that I have gotten used to them and they absorb everything and are always tracking.

NJ300ex
06-09-2002, 04:42 PM
The materials used in Elka shocks and Axis shocks are about the same quality.

What makes them different is the valving and the shock oil used.

Ex_Rider43
06-09-2002, 05:10 PM
yeah I like elka too I just want to know if there is a diference because if you just take a look a an axis and a elka it looks the same but axis is a lot more expensive.another good reason to buy elka for me is that the company is in quebec and the wait is not as long as axis

Leo
06-09-2002, 05:15 PM
any aftermarket shock is a vast improvement over the stockers (especially the weak fronts)..

my 400 is like a completely new machine with the Elka's on the front.

Leo

cdalejef
06-09-2002, 08:04 PM
Elka and Axis are very similar, one reason that Axis is so high is because Penski Racing owens them!

Dave400ex
06-09-2002, 08:41 PM
Jeff I about have my Money for some Front Shocks and I am still not sure on Elka or PEP. I think the Elka`s are built better, but as Gabe told me, it`s not the parts that matter, it`s the Valving. I know PEP has the best valving after talking to many of the GNCC Racers. They have told me to get PEP`s because the Elka`s are not yet proven. The Wait and Price is not that much of a concern to me. I will Wait longer and Pay more to have the Best or better. If I get these Elka`s I don`t want to have any Problems, because I know I wouldn`t with the PEP`s. I`m just not sure what to do. It is so much Money to Spend, I think I would better with the proven PEP`s. What do you Guys think?

cdalejef
06-09-2002, 08:51 PM
When you ask pro's what shocks they think are the best most of them are going to tell you that the shock they are running are the best because they are most likley sponsored and paid by that company! Bill Ballance will tell you Axis is the best, Chad Duvall will tell you Elka is the best, Tim far will tell you PEP is the best. The best people to ask is the people that spend their hard earned money on their shocks, like the people on here. The only thing I can tell you is that we sell all three of those brands and I can get free shocks from any of these companys, and you see which ones I have chosen. Any of these shocks should give you years of great service, but with anything you buy you always run the risk of something being wrong with it wether it be a car or a house or shocks, any of the companys should do what ever it takes to make the product right! Just my $.02 worth.

Dave400ex
06-09-2002, 09:09 PM
Well that is True. I`m just not sure what to do. You Guys sell PEP? I need to ask around some more. I wish I could Ride a set of PEP`s and then go Ride a set of Elka`s to make my choice.

cdalejef
06-09-2002, 09:18 PM
Boy wouldn't it be nice to test ride all the shock first!
We do sell PEP!

Dave400ex
06-09-2002, 09:31 PM
Yeah I wish I could. How do you like the PEP ZPS vs. the Elka`s? What is your Wait on the PEP`s? Can you compare the 2 for me? I just need some Help choosing.

airheadedduner
06-09-2002, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by NJ300ex
The materials used in Elka shocks and Axis shocks are about the same quality.

What makes them different is the valving and the shock oil used.

Axis uses much higher quality materials. The big difference is the amount of time axis has in the industry comared to elka. They know what atv racing is all about. But give elka a few years and i'm sure they will have valving and quality close to axis, but being I can't wait that long i'm going with axis or tcs.:D

AlaskaSpeed
06-10-2002, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by WarriorMan
Jeff I about have my Money for some Front Shocks and I am still not sure on Elka or PEP. I think the Elka`s are built better, but as Gabe told me, it`s not the parts that matter, it`s the Valving. I know PEP has the best valving after talking to many of the GNCC Racers. They have told me to get PEP`s because the Elka`s are not yet proven. The Wait and Price is not that much of a concern to me. I will Wait longer and Pay more to have the Best or better. If I get these Elka`s I don`t want to have any Problems, because I know I wouldn`t with the PEP`s. I`m just not sure what to do. It is so much Money to Spend, I think I would better with the proven PEP`s. What do you Guys think?

If I get these Elka`s I don`t want to have any Problems, because I know I wouldn`t with the PEP`s

How do you know you WON'T have problems with the PEP's? FYI, my friend with the PEP's already sent them out to Mark Baldwin to go through and work on. I don't know why everyone seems to believe that Elkas are the only shocks that ever have dissatisfied customers, but I am waiting on my second set of Elkas from the Quadshop, this time for my Cannondale; and money wasn't an issue in deciding which ones to get. My Elkas had valving and spring rates dead on and I have watched my friend go through PEP, Works, and now he is playing with his Axis to try and get them dialed in right. Just don't take everything you hear about Elkas being problem shocks too seriously........JIM

Dave400ex
06-10-2002, 07:58 AM
Well I don`t know for a Fact I wouldn`t have problems with PEP`s, but I know the chance is much less likely then with the Elka`s.

Jim, Have you ever Rode on a set of PEP ZPS? I need somebody to Compare the PEP ZPS to a set of Elka Triple Rates with SSD and Comp. Adjust.

AlaskaSpeed
06-10-2002, 08:05 AM
I rode on PEP's, but his weren't the ZPS; they were the Limited Mass. They also weren't valved or sprung for me and they didn't feel good at all. I could come on here and say "PEP's suck" or whatever due to my bad experience with them, but that wouldn't be the total truth...
I believe that any aftermarket shock that is valved and sprung for you personally will be a great shock. Materials will play a role in longevity, but any recreational type rider will be happy with any shock that is valved for them...........JIM

bansheeguy77
06-10-2002, 08:19 AM
i really dont think you would be able to tell that much of a difference in the shocks unless u are out hitting 80ft triples all the time. what riding do u do? no i dont like elka but i wont diss them either. but to get the top of the line elka it is cheaper to get the zps.

Dave400ex
06-10-2002, 08:29 AM
I am going to be Racing XC. I think I might just go ahead and get the PEP`s.

cdalejef
06-10-2002, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by airheadedduner

Axis uses much higher quality materials. The big difference is the amount of time axis has in the industry comared to elka. They know what atv racing is all about. But give elka a few years and i'm sure they will have valving and quality close to axis, but being I can't wait that long i'm going with axis or tcs.:D
Not true! The internals are exactly the same! One thing I do like better about the Elka's is they use a compression fitting on their hoses like a brake line and Axis uses a brass pipe fitting to attach their hoses, I have seen 2 of these brass fittings break off. Elka has bee the top manuf. of snomobile shocks for years so they are not new to shock building. Axis starting building ATV shocks in 97.

trx400ex
06-10-2002, 09:13 AM
i think it comes down to what colors you like best:D

Dave400ex
06-10-2002, 09:19 AM
I wish it was that Simple trx400ex.

06-10-2002, 09:28 AM
I think it revolves around the rider's skill's and how deep their wallet is. This weekend me and chris29 went and practiced together. There was all kinds of quads there,,more than normal..z400, c-dales, 400ex's, etc. There must have been every shock on the market there on quads....me and chris were and are the only people to hit every jump on the track with quads. we of course have the so called junk works,,but nobody with the ohlins, TCS, axis, etc,,would jump all the jumps. I will be upgrading to elka's when the time comes,,penske and axis can go jump off a bridge with their high prices. :blah

Dave400ex
06-10-2002, 09:31 AM
Well that helped some Rico. I still can`t make up my mind, PEP or Elka? What is your Guys opinion? Maybe I should Post a Poll.

trx400ex
06-10-2002, 10:17 AM
just get works, then youll have extra money

06-10-2002, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by trx400ex
just get works, then youll have extra money

yeah probably enough money to do some minor mods to the motor,,,so you'll have the best shocks with a slow motor....or a decent set of aftermarket shocks and a faster motor...I think ya need ta kill 2 birds with one stone...that is unless your gonna start in the Pro class..:eek:

Dave400ex
06-10-2002, 10:37 AM
I know I don`t want Works. I want Elka or PEP. I don`t want to just get the Cheapest. Really for Woods I`m not to worried about the Motor.

bansheeguy77
06-10-2002, 12:00 PM
yea exactly what rico said...u should do like im gonna do i got works and if their good then sweet but if i feel i need better im going to get them rebuilt to zps or tcs over the off season....by then u should have money saved up to do that. and u dont need a new back shock just rebuild it.

trx400ex
06-10-2002, 01:26 PM
hey rico do you jump that big double at blackrock thats right out of the turn in the pro section? the one right before you get to the whoops, that dudes big

06-10-2002, 01:54 PM
Well the class I race doesn't go into the pro section,,they let us old dudes run the smaller portion of the track,,,so no I don't jump it but yes I would,,I've hit jumps that big on practice tracks. I might run the 350 open class a race or 2 this year just so I can jump it,,cuz it looks like fun..:D I should be at the next race down there so if you plan on racing let me know,,I'll stop by and chat with ya..:cool:

kabd69667
06-10-2002, 02:01 PM
Well, kinda modifying rico's idea, buy some compression adjust elkas and still have $150 left over than you would with the peps. You almost have enough for a cam, but you would have enough for a piston for sure.

Dave400ex
06-10-2002, 02:07 PM
I am still thinking about the Elka`s. If I get the Elka`s my extra Money is going for Tires and Rims. My Friend is going to get some Elka`s so I might wait and test his and then make up my mind.

Nausty
06-10-2002, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by WarriorMan
Well that helped some Rico. I still can`t make up my mind, PEP or Elka? What is your Guys opinion? Maybe I should Post a Poll.

I love my elka's and I jump anything I want to jump and they track well through anything just about. I don't think you can go wrong either way but the elka's sure are a lot cheaper and i don't think pep are that much better if they are. I jump 65ft regularly on mine to flat landings and it the landings feel like i'm on a dirt bike and with the ssd it makes it sit lower so that I don't even think I could use some wider a-arms or axle right now so i can focus on the motor.