PDA

View Full Version : making skidplates how to attach them?

signguy
09-04-2005, 12:10 PM
im making my own skidplates out of.120 stock alluminum..how should i attach them..would rivets work or something else.also any pointers would be apperciated. tips etc...

quadracer04
09-04-2005, 12:48 PM
Cut two slits in the skid where you want to mount it, put rubber between it and the frame, and then use a metal hose clamp

signguy
09-04-2005, 01:25 PM
dude that was a great idea I never thought of that yeah i wasnt sure if i wanted to drill a hole in my frame.Did you make your own too. How thick are the ones(skidplates) that you buy

quadracer04
09-04-2005, 05:14 PM
I didnt make my own, but I was gonna try and make a chassis skid and I thought about how to do it. The skidplate that I have is .160 I think. Id say go with .160 or .190

TheFontMaster
09-04-2005, 08:34 PM
May I ask what is wrong with the mounts for the stock mounts? Is it a belly skid plate, or a swingarm skid plate? If it's the swingarm skid plate, just drill 4 holes to match the mounts in the swingarm. For a belly skid, drill the 4 holes for where it will mount by the motor, and for the front, my DG skid for my old 300ex used a braket that bolted to the top of the skidplate and went through the lower frame rails, it looked kinda like a T, and when you tightened that down, the top part of the T clamped onto the top of the lower frame rails. But the hose clam idea might be easier for you to do:p

prepracing
09-05-2005, 04:11 AM
you can by the u-shaped clamps that are similar to ones that come most belly plates, I have also seen people use small u-bolts. Also if it is a belly plate just drill to holes that will line up with the tabs under your motor where the little plastic stock skid bolted up to and use clamps for the front