PDA

View Full Version : 250R Rebuilding?

250Renvy
09-04-2005, 08:52 AM
I just bought an 88 250R in pretty decent shape for a good price.

The frame seems fine but the paint job is really bad and I want to re-do it. So here are my questions.

1. Should I paint or powdercoat - advantages of each?

2. How much time and work is it really going to be to tear it down to the frame and rebuild it?

3. What kind of problems/issues are common when putting them back together.

Thanks for the help and I'll post pics when I'm done.

rider250ex
09-04-2005, 03:10 PM
POWDERCOAT. usually a day to tear down and a day to put back together for me. make sure you keep track of every little nut and bolt and label as much stuff as possible. take your time and get a manual they really help.

elchankoblanko
09-04-2005, 06:25 PM
def powdercoat, it holds up so much better then paint. Im almost done rebuildin my R and ive spent alot of time on it. You basically have to expect the unexpected. I know with my R once i upgraded something, something else needed to be upgraded too so its like a never ending kind of thing. If you have the time and the money you can definetly do it. good luck

250Renvy
09-04-2005, 07:58 PM
I thought I'd throw this out there too since every time I take stuff apart I tend to lose bolts etc.

Which is the best bolt kit. I've seen several on ebay but they all have different numbers of bolts?

Any suggestions?

TheFontMaster
09-04-2005, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by 250Renvy
I thought I'd throw this out there too since every time I take stuff apart I tend to lose bolts etc.

Which is the best bolt kit. I've seen several on ebay but they all have different numbers of bolts?

Any suggestions?

I don't remember which one I got, I just picked the one that had people that sounded like they knew more about what they were selling than the rest. The kit I got actualy had less pieces that some others, and it was about 95 dollars. I have been very happy with it.

Tom TRX250R
09-05-2005, 08:55 PM
POWDERCOAT!!! Much more durable for boot rub etc. For the bolt kit, just make sure to not use any stainless steel bolts on where strength is needed, they are corrosion resistant but are more brittle to snap. Go with Grade 8 bolts and you'll be fine. There is some cheap bolt kits on ebay right now.

EXracer83
09-07-2005, 06:12 AM
Me and my brother built a Blaster from the ground up last summer and it makes you appreciate it a whole lot more when you build it yourself. Have fun, I know did!!

alias
09-08-2005, 02:38 AM
por-15 and topcoat if you feel like it works pretty well

whatever you decide put something in the threaded holes or you will end up tapping them

Scott-300ex
09-11-2005, 11:32 AM
powdercoat, takes more time and cost more money, but looks better and paint will chip with rocks and stuff, powdercoat will stay

take off plastics, suspension, engine, swinger, and the other odds and ends, won't be bad, remember how you took it off though

also, for the bolts and stuff, put them in ziploc bags and/or tape around each of the group it comes off of an label them with marker and puttin it back together will be simple

anybody know how much a pc frame would cost and how long?

TheFontMaster
09-11-2005, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Scott-300ex
anybody know how much a pc frame would cost and how long?

I've seen prices go from 150-500 dollars for a whole frame, depending on what color. 2 stage colors are odviously more expensinve because you need twice the amount onf powder.

250Renvy
09-11-2005, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the info, I was originally thinking of painting because I thought it would be cheap but it turns out good paint is pretty pricey.

I'm definitely going to powder coat. I think I'll do the engine cases and covers as well.

I have to find an accurate color though cause I want to do it factory and I think I'll wait until winter so that if it take a lot longer than anticipated I won't miss out on fall riding.

Scott-300ex
09-11-2005, 02:36 PM
wow, thats cheap

thanks dude

Scott-300ex
09-11-2005, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the info, I was originally thinking of painting because I thought it would be cheap but it turns out good paint is pretty pricey.

I'm definitely going to powder coat. I think I'll do the engine cases and covers as well.

I have to find an accurate color though cause I want to do it factory and I think I'll wait until winter so that if it take a lot longer than anticipated I won't miss out on fall riding.

thats a good idea dude, wait till winter, thats what i would do

white frame looks sweet, thats whats on the 250r i'm gettin, you can look at it on my website in my sig if you wanna see it

TheFontMaster
09-11-2005, 04:47 PM

PM Rich250rracer, I know he did alot of research to find the powder that was a near exact match to factory honda red, and Pappy also has red powder that is really close.