PDA

View Full Version : Newbie help with cross country racing

mckenzik100
09-03-2005, 09:49 PM
I'm thinking about trying out the cross country racing next year. What is the best class to start in? I have been riding for 20years but never raced. Right now all I have is a Honda Rancher 4x4. Should I try that out in the Utility class just to see what it's like or should I buy something to ride in the sport class. That appeared like the most affordable class to me. But I would like advice from some racers. I don't have a big budget but I could probably pick up a used warrior or 300ex over the winter.

lilwitting
09-04-2005, 11:37 AM
i would get a 300ex and get some razar2s all the way around and some elkas or works shocks and try it out to see if you like it

bradley300
09-04-2005, 07:08 PM
no reason buying a sport quad just to try racing. try it out on the rancher in a ute class, you wont do to great on a rancher i wouldnt think,but at least you can get an idea of what your up against and see if you want to race more.

BTW, for the sport class, i suggest a 300ex or blaster. steve mitchell is doing great on a warrior, but i still think its not the ideal sport class quad, even if he is winning the class

ILGNCC400EX
09-04-2005, 07:42 PM
just go and have fun that is the main thing you will meet some grate people

Allen
09-05-2005, 05:02 AM
just go and have fun that is the main thing you will meet some grate people

What he said.......just try going to a GNCC, you don't even have to race. Just look at the other bikes that are on the starting line in the AM classes. This will give you an idea of what's out there

Hope this helps

XCRACER26
09-05-2005, 08:00 PM
If your going too race and have the money get a 450r. I've raced both the YFZ and the 450r is the best for it. Start in the lowest class and work up from there. Don't be dumb and get stuck in a class that you smash every time. My first year racing wich is now, I race oma series C class. But next year I'm going to race pro.

mckenzik100
09-05-2005, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the advice. I don't have the money for a 450 so that's the reason for looking into the sport class. I will just go to a race next year and If I don't have a sport quad by then I might just take a beating, I mean run the Rancher. ;) I was looking at a 300ex that has +2 A-arms and works suspension setup for MX. Is that too wide for the woods?

XCRACER26
09-05-2005, 08:18 PM
But the important thing is just to race. If all else fails race the utility class. Then save money and get a sport quad later.

ILGNCC400EX
09-06-2005, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by XCRACER26
But the important thing is just to race. If all else fails race the utility class. Then save money and get a sport quad later. yep and if it is a mud race youll have a ton of fun on the rancher.ive raced a ute befor and had a blast.you dont need all the trick stuff to have fun.just good tires and a bike in good runnin order chit i didint start racin till i was 50 if you like to ride youll have a blast.good luck

bradley300
09-06-2005, 06:54 AM
plus 2 is probably a little wide, but you should be able to manage

Sjorge450R
09-09-2005, 08:23 PM
+2 should be fine for XC. That should put you at around the width of a 400. But yeah. The guys in the Utility class all run the big bore quads. (sportsmen 700, 800 and others)