PDA

View Full Version : rebuild probs.

GoingBig
09-03-2005, 07:42 PM
2001 400ex I just put a 416 kit into it. it has a completly new head and a hotcams stg 1. i used a moose gasket set. when i started it this afternoon for the first i have oil blowing out the crankcase breather tube and down by hte head gasket i can see lttle bubbles coming out the gasket. i followed the clymer manual to a tee. what do you think iis up.please help this is frustrating

RiderTRX400ex
09-04-2005, 08:35 AM
i had the moose gasket kit after my first rebuild, those didnt last long. the head gasket bubbled from the day i rebuilt it.. and the base gasket let go 2 weeks ago... bad.. so i had to take apaort my top end ttwice because of those damn gaskets... that could just be your problem.. go with stock, cometic, or athena gaskets.. xr400 head gasket will raise your compression a little because it is thinner.

good luck

GoingBig
09-04-2005, 10:56 AM
so a stock head gasket will fit a 416?wish i knew that the moose gaskets were not all that great before i put it together.live and learn i guess

RiderTRX400ex
09-04-2005, 04:22 PM
yea stock gaskets will work, xr400 gaskets will too if you wanna get the compression that the piston is rated at ( they are thinner than EX)

yea i woulda liked to of known that too, i had to take mine apart twice, once for each gasket