PDA

View Full Version : Are heel gaurds that important???

Allen
09-03-2005, 06:28 AM
I just put some new IMS footpegs on my YFZ last night and noticed that the stock heel gaurds don't fit. Instead of buying the IMS heel gaurds....do you really need them? I mean for XC they just catch mud...

mountaineer
09-03-2005, 08:03 AM
no, I also think they just add weight of mud. I took mine off as soon as i brought it home.

VIGILANTE MAN
09-03-2005, 08:42 AM
They're not important til your foot slips and the rear teeth of the peg rips back the skin below your kneecap. It's not a pretty sight.

SRH
09-03-2005, 10:56 AM
they dont do anything except look gay, my foot has gotten run over even with them on there...better off investing in top of the line boots

Allen
09-03-2005, 12:21 PM
Thanks for the replies...I think my mind is made up.

coryatver
09-04-2005, 10:03 AM
You don't need them. Just don't try telling that to someone who has them.

PowerMadd789XC
09-08-2005, 06:47 PM
i had the knee cap thing happen to one of my good friends , we were just playin around and he hit a big jump nad his leg flew off and when right behind the peg, his knee was gashed up and was bledin every where , but if u have nerfs with pegs u should be fine wiht out heel gaurds , just wear racn pants when u ride or pants , my freind was wearin baggy race pants ziped of into shorts.

quad2xtreme
09-18-2005, 12:16 PM
I don't have any friends so I don't have them on any of my quads. :) I don't see it as an issue.

I've still had my foot slip down between the engine and the nets though when landing from a no footer. I think I am going to stop trying to do a heel clicker. I just don't have that much flexibility left in me anymore.

/Jon

rpyfz450
09-22-2005, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by coryatver
You don't need them. Just don't try telling that to someone who has them.

Both are good points.

I was used to my prior ATVs not having them , so I just removed them from my YFZ450. I just don't put my feet down when I ride, so I don't have a problem.

RoostItUp
09-24-2005, 09:04 PM
I really like the AC pro-pegs with the heelguards built in. They cover alot of area and don't weigh much more than normal nerfs. You don't really need them unless you like the added protection against broken ankles or legs and badly skinned shins or knees. Ever since I saw someone brake their ankle right in front of me because his foot slipped off the peg I decided to keep heelguards. It can happen when you least expect it! Mountaineer has a point with the mud issue though, alot tends to cake on those guards.

FHKracingZ
09-24-2005, 11:34 PM
ya lets invest lots of money in boots that dont bend, so when your foot goes back and hits the wheel it breaks ure whole leg instead of ure ankle because you had to have them $350 alpine stars didnt ya