PDA

View Full Version : more performance

OzzyQUAD
09-03-2005, 04:55 AM
Hi, i have a 400ex with a white brothers slip on and a knn air filter ,but now im looking for a couple of mods to get more performance. CAN ANYONE HELP........:confused:

RiderTRX400ex
09-03-2005, 06:51 AM
did you rejet your wheeler with what you have now?
next mod could be a cam, bore it, or just put a high compression piston in.. but dont go to high :devil:

OzzyQUAD
09-04-2005, 02:34 AM
Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
I am just about to buy a Dynojet kit, what needles do you suggest with which cam.
And do you suggest a high comp piston on a standard bore....
many thanks.

RiderTRX400ex
09-04-2005, 08:31 AM
dynojet kit will come with one needle, and hen you adjust it with a clip, 6 positions i think... dynojet instructions will tell you like the avg settings, and they worked pretty well for me. if you want just a good drop in cam, go with a hotcam. Stage one for more bottom, mid.. stage 2 is for top, and stage 3 is the old stage 2.
i have a stage one, only downside is it makes louder ticking. with the stage 2 you would lose some bottom end, but make that up in high RPM's. If you went with a high compression piston std bore it would help out yea. and if you were to get a stg 2 hotcam the high compression will make up for a little of the lost bottom. What compression are you looking at getting?

OzzyQUAD
09-05-2005, 03:48 AM
Hi,
Not really sure on what piston to get as my bike is 2002 on a standard bore.....do you suggest a rev kit aswell.
many thanks..:rolleyes:

4everhonda
09-05-2005, 08:19 AM
You dont get you power from the bore you get it from the higher compression. Go with a JE 10.8:1 or 11:1 kit for standard stock bore and either get a hot cams stage 1 if you want low end to mid and stage 2 for mid to top. A new carb makes a huge difference too but there pricey. I have a 39mm fcr and it is great, instant throttle responce!!

RiderTRX400ex
09-05-2005, 09:31 AM
could always go to a 416

:devil:

a rev box would be good to have if your getting the stage 2 hotcam probably.. . dont waste your money on a cheap one though... get a GT THunder

400exrules
09-05-2005, 10:03 AM
im wanting alittle more power outta my 400 also. Im thinking about a stage 1 hotcam. Later i might make it a 416, but im not sure yet, im still learning about engine work. I thought you only got a high comp. piston when you bored your cylinder?
1. what compression could i get on a stock bore and run off 93 pump gas?
2. what kind of power difference would their be between the piston with stock bore, and a piston with a 416 bore?
3. are they hard to install? come with instructions? cuz i dont wanna mess up my engine and do somethin wrong.

thanks

4everhonda
09-05-2005, 11:19 AM
on 93 pump gas I'm running 10.8:1, you can get away with 11:1

400 and 416 = no difference, as I said above you get power from compression

and no there is no instructions with the piston but there is instructions with the cam. It will cost you about $40 or so for a bore, and from there a clymers will help you.

fasterthanyouex
09-05-2005, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by 4everhonda

400 and 416 = no difference, as I said above you get power from compression

umm are you kidding me.....if you got no power from a a bigger bore why would you get a bored engine beside if you had to...dude... im far from knowing all about engine...but with bored enigne you gain displacment and that means more power..like a stroker engine..you gain more displacement..makign more power.....if you didnt gain power everyone would just have high compression pistons...a higher compression piston give you more "grunt"

4everhonda
09-05-2005, 06:41 PM
he wants a 416, 400 to a 416 with same compression with be like 1/100 of a hp. Learn what your talking about before you flame me. a 440 would make a dif that's 40 cc's more, it still with same stock compression and no other work done wont make much a difference.