PDA

View Full Version : 250x Trans

Honda TRX250ex
09-02-2005, 10:01 PM
ok i have a problem with my 250x tranny
everytime i go into third gear it skips what could be the problem and how could i fix it and how much would it cost to bring it to someone to split the engine to fix it

(please no wise *** answers)

quadracer04
09-02-2005, 11:42 PM
My guess is that 3rd gear is chewed up. It will cost you a bit to get the cases split. It will cost you a FORTUNE if you take it to the dealer. Are you very mechanically smart? I'd say go buy a Clymer manual and tear into it yourself...it's a great experience and does nothing but help you as long as you follow the manual.

Honda TRX250ex
09-03-2005, 03:38 PM
yeah i have one of those books but and i know alot about engines but im afraid to split it cuz i never done it be4 and i just put alot of money into my quad and i dont wanna ruin the engine how hard would it be to split it?

quadfamily
09-07-2005, 06:22 PM
Sounds like a bent shift fork.

Honda TRX250ex
09-08-2005, 04:19 AM
yeah thats what i was thinking...

dork
09-14-2005, 11:39 PM
probably the engagement dogs on 3rd gear are rounded off and or bent shift fork. the early 250x's had a problem with 3rd not engaging enough, you can upgrade it with 300ex parts i believe. you may want to call four stroke tech about that. splitting the cases isn't too difficult, if you're just going to fix the trans. then you can leave the crank in. just set the engine on its left case and take off the right side, and there's the transmission. follow the manual and keep track of the washers on the ends of the clusters. no special tools needed.

prepracing
09-15-2005, 03:00 AM
Originally posted by quadracer04
My guess is that 3rd gear is chewed up. It will cost you a bit to get the cases split. It will cost you a FORTUNE if you take it to the dealer. Are you very mechanically smart? I'd say go buy a Clymer manual and tear into it yourself...it's a great experience and does nothing but help you as long as you follow the manual.

well if you buy a clymer that will be a waste of money, because it will not show near enough for you to be splitting the cases, and I would have to agree with dork about the engagement dogs being rounded off because that is what happened to mine. And if that is the problem you have to replace 2nd and 3rd gear at the same time because of how they engage together. When I bought the gears from honda I paid $130 for both the gears. Then put them in myself, if you get a genuine honda service manual its not to bad of a job to do your self. You just have to make sure when putting it back together to get the washer/spacers in the right spots, and get the shifter linkage back in the correct position to. I have seen entire 250x trannies on ebay for around $150, but there probably worn, I would say you would be better off just to by those 2 new gears and be done with it.

robichjr
09-16-2005, 02:58 AM
I had the same problem a few years ago and made the mistake of continuing to ride it. When we finally did get around to splitting the case, the center section had a long crack in it. That one bent shift fork would up costing me about a grand.

Honda TRX250ex
09-17-2005, 02:31 PM
hey robichjr
do you beat on your quad meaning like do you ride it rough
cuz my dad keeps aruging with me that if you ride it rough it will get worst but im saying that even if you ride it easly it wont

robichjr
09-17-2005, 06:04 PM
At the time when my 3rd gear was slipping, I did ride kinda hard. I tried to just "shift through" third, meaning go straight from 2nd to 4th. The center section of the case ended up cracking anyway. Besides that, every other time that I tried to ignore a problem and ride the quad anyway the problem always got worse.

Honda TRX250ex
09-17-2005, 06:37 PM
oh now your making me look bad lol j/k :P
if you dont mind me asking how much did it cost for you to fix your gear and if you did it on a scale one 1-10 how hard was it
thanks...

robichjr
09-17-2005, 08:18 PM
I started to tear it down myself, then felt like I was getting in over my head. I was 16 yrs old at the time. I ended up bringing it to an independent mechanic and it cost about $1000 total. He also polished the cylinder and put in a new piston/rings, etc...

Honda TRX250ex
09-17-2005, 09:24 PM
oh wow looks about time to sell the quad and get a 400ex or a LT 250 :D

hondardr4life
09-18-2005, 11:56 AM
Just a ?, why would you get an LT 250r?? The TRX is a much better machine.

TRXRacer1
09-18-2005, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by prepracing
well if you buy a clymer that will be a waste of money, because it will not show near enough for you to be splitting the cases,
If you can't fix a bottom end with a cylmer you shouldn't be fixing anthing at all.:rolleyes:

Honda TRX250ex
09-18-2005, 04:11 PM
i have that book for all my quads and my parents car
that book kick @$$ it shows you how to do everything!!!:D