PDA

View Full Version : 6th gear....400ex

NJ honda
09-02-2005, 04:36 PM
ok ive know this motor guy hes got a local shop and does all kindas of crazy stuff.....i was talking to him and i was like what would give me a huge top end boost.....he goes a 6th gear(ive got a 400ex)....i was like can u do that.....he goes i could shore god damn try......ive seen him put a 7th gear in a yz250 so i think he can do it .....what do u guys think

bradley300
09-02-2005, 05:17 PM
it will only give you a boost in top speed, no power. and you will only gain more top speed if the motor has enuff power to pull the taller gear. it could be done i bet, but i dont see the point unless you race desert where your in top gear for miles at a time

cals400ex
09-02-2005, 06:42 PM
i have heard of this being done by removing neutral. however, it was not on a 400ex i don't think.

mikeboone
09-02-2005, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by cals400ex
i have heard of this being done by removing neutral. however, it was not on a 400ex i don't think.

The hell? That sounds cool. All I do is drag race and dont need neutral anyway

smorris
09-02-2005, 07:44 PM
Its possible, Tom Carlson used to put a 6 th gear in 250 x trannys
back when they were the four stroke bike of choice in the nationals

mikeboone
09-02-2005, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by smorris
Its possible, Tom Carlson used to put a 6 th gear in 250 x trannys
back when they were the four stroke bike of choice in the nationals

Is it possible to invert the shift shaft and componets to make the shifter reversed? 1st would be up and 2-5 would be down. This would eliminate miss-shifts nearly.

gojk
09-02-2005, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by mikeboone
Is it possible to invert the shift shaft and componets to make the shifter reversed? 1st would be up and 2-5 would be down. This would eliminate miss-shifts nearly.
I like this idea, except that you are leaning a little back while accelerating and it would be more difficult to press the lever down to shift.

cals400ex
09-03-2005, 12:58 AM
i really don't remember what bike this was on. i have heard of it though. unless it was an april fools joke. i really don't remember...

smorris
09-03-2005, 07:47 AM
I did that on my zx-9 , but they had a linkage shifter like a banshee or yam. warrior.I dont think the 400 would work. Sounds like a good idea though.It worked great on my bike for draggin!

TheRidinLife01
09-03-2005, 06:56 PM
it has been done, carlson did it already to a 400ex

TRXRacer1
09-03-2005, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by NJ honda
ok ive know this motor guy hes got a local shop and does all kindas of crazy stuff.....i was talking to him and i was like what would give me a huge top end boost.....he goes a 6th gear(ive got a 400ex)....i was like can u do that.....he goes i could shore god damn try......ive seen him put a 7th gear in a yz250 so i think he can do it .....what do u guys think
No way in hell did he put a 7th gear in a yz 250. I promise you will never be able to prove this. Just saying this tells me you don't know much about gear boxes.

NJ honda
09-03-2005, 11:32 PM
ok well i may not know aything about gear boxs but i did rid this yz250 and i did shift 7 times.....i dont know what he did but... i shifted 7 times on a yamaha yz 250 call joel and jmd pro porting.....or if u know anyone in jersey have them to talk to owner my friend sean he races with kids like jason lawerance and adam blessing....so i dont need to know anyting ive rode the bike

deathman53
09-04-2005, 07:35 AM
tc used to use a different shift drum and partial tranny from a 350x to make it a 6 speed, he used the slot for reverse to make room for the 6th gear.

NJ honda
09-05-2005, 06:09 PM
yo deathman u live in e-town? we sud meet up one day and ride out by me i ride gliddens or claytons or wat ever you call it

deathman53
09-05-2005, 06:24 PM
I don't ride much illegal. and I already got nailed in clayton's once, second time I don't want to happen. I do mostly mx. If I did take a bike out to clayton's, etc it would be my 200x or the xr250r, the other bikes stay legal(I have way too much money in them to be impounded and also they don't have titles, so getting them out will be very hard).

NJ honda
09-08-2005, 07:24 PM
how did u get hit at claytons.......i ride there everyday workers or no workers and ive never gotten chased, talked to, or even looked at funny......the only reaction ive ever gotten was a wave from some guy in a truck.....i recently met some guy that works there and he said the cops gave up on sundays....they dont even btoher going out.....they know they cant catch us....im usually doing about every hill they have to offer...and trying to find new trails to bigger and better places.....if u ever want to head out there....pm me i can set you up with a really good parking spot.....my friends driveway....we let people park there all the tim...and its only like 5min ride to claytons.....i love that abut my life.....im usually out with, a blaster ( i know bad word...) and a suzuki quadracer....yeah and im on my 400ex usually on a hill or dragging someone......

deathman53
09-09-2005, 07:05 PM
I got nailed 3 years ago, at the parking area off of south hope chapel, I got a ticket on the truck. I went there a few times afterwards, but got chased out each time. If I ride my xr250r I have a untouchable parking spot, completely legal land and ride the road 5 miles to there(on a street legal bike).