PDA

View Full Version : Twist Throttle?????

ommkevin
09-02-2005, 12:59 PM
is putting a twist any good on a 400 EX does n e 1's thumb hurt after riding will it be more comfortable with the twist

Joe400ex
09-02-2005, 01:10 PM
to be honest i dont like it because when i slide back a lil i feel that my hand is being pulled back and the throttle goes nuts. plus in whoops its sucks

09-02-2005, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Joe400ex
to be honest i dont like it because when i slide back a lil i feel that my hand is being pulled back and the throttle goes nuts. plus in whoops its sucks

ok how long have you ridden one for? Did you take the time to get use to it? i hate it when people give twist throttles a baad name because they go out and try to ride like they used to when they had the thumb throttle. I know that because thats how i flipped my quad. i just went and put it on i was being an idiot and going way too fast and over my ability with a twist, hit some bumps and gave it gas and pinned it and the front end came up and i cant remember what happend next. did i go out and twist throttles suck. no because i knew i was riding to fast when i first got it. Now i have my twist throttle and i will NEVER go back to thumb. My advice is just take it easy for the first hour or so get the feel of it and just have fun and be safe. i can go through any type of terrain without gassing it.

Mxjunkie
09-02-2005, 04:36 PM
I cant stand riding thumbs, I've used twist since I was little and I love it, the problem is people dont give it time to set in, IMO quads should have twist or thumb as an option at the dealer.

JR3
09-02-2005, 04:42 PM
Josh i think it shouldnt cause its easier for a newbie to quads that goes to the dealer and buys a quad to control and learn a thumb throttle

ommkevin
09-02-2005, 05:06 PM
i havent ridden with 1 b 4 but i think it will be so much better than a thumb because i rode with a thumb for like 10 mins and my thumb started cramping up

tprender
09-02-2005, 05:21 PM
You need to paly more vidio games and give that thumb a worout. If you would notice that almost all of the pro's in mx and xc use thumb not twist. You just have not ridden enought to build up the strengh in your thuimb. 10 min, come on!!!

ommkevin
09-03-2005, 09:08 AM
i've been riding for about a year and i play enough video games i am the laziest person you will ever meet idk its only when im full throttle but im full throttle a lot like once a month i ride trails and then it doesn't so......

09-03-2005, 04:30 PM
dude spend the 40$ if you like it awesome, if you dont sell it on ebay. and if you decide to keep it sell your stock thumb throttle on ebay. i did that and made 40$:devil: trust me twist throttles are so much better than thumb. and about your thumbs hurting you, i used to have that all the time (broke and sprained both my thumbs numerous times) and now with a twist i can ride as much as i want without any pain.

400ex28
09-03-2005, 05:01 PM
i can ride all day and my thumb still dont hurt

09-03-2005, 06:35 PM
I wonder if everyone saying how dangerous they are,ect realize that dirtbikes have came stock with twists from the beginning. You dont see dirtbike thumb conversion kits,do you? You just have to learn throttle control and how to lean your body back without pinning it. I have a thumb on my quad,and its fine for me. My dirtbikes have twists,and i do fine on them. Its really not that hard to learn to use ethier.

tprender
09-03-2005, 07:59 PM
The difference between a bike and a quad is different. Most of the time on a quad you are sitting, while on the bike you are standing and don't get rocked around like you do a quad. This rocking motion on the quad is greater on the quad. when you rock, you will rock back an open up the throtle.
I started out with a thumb and after a couple of years put a twist on the quad. I was going though a good set of woops and got out of control and leaned back by accident and oped the throtle open all of the way. I was taken carried off of the track from that accident. After that I put the thumb back on and have been riding with it ever since.
Go with what suits you best.

elchankoblanko
09-04-2005, 07:02 PM
Quads are also alot harder to turn compared to a bike where most of the time your just leaning, you really have to muscle the quad around.

dirtdigger71
09-05-2005, 07:32 AM
i bought an exercise ball at wal-mart for 3 bucks ,i keep it in my console in my truck and work it while i am driving-my thumb never cramps or hurts anymore and it helps alot with arm pump too!

ZQ8Dude
09-05-2005, 11:14 AM
i guess i played alot of video games when i was younger? because last time out i went riding for like 5-6 hours and my thumb felt fine.

ommkevin
09-05-2005, 06:24 PM
yeah they do make thumb conversions for dirtbikes mOron

FoxRacing81
09-05-2005, 06:56 PM
They have twists on dirtbikes because in the corners you don't turn the bars much, you only lean. Thus making it much easier.

Don't get me wrong though, I love Twist throttles. If you prefer thumb, and someone with as much skill as you likes twist, your not going to be any faster. The Pros use whatever they prefer.

But if you wanna go by what the Pro's use anyway, John Natalie uses a twist..:D along with Kory Ellis. Both are top runners in MX, and both use a twist. But it's there preference.

Somewhere down the road I may get a twist for mine. My thumb locks up on me if I do more then 10 hard laps at practice. I even removed the spring that pulls the cable back inside the throttle assembly. I did this to my 250r and it worked awesome, but didn't do much on my 400.

-Justin

trx400exxracer
09-05-2005, 07:44 PM
soon I am going to put twist on mine because I raced a 1 1/2 hour xc race this weekend I never let go of the throttle and I had a huge blister that race was the hardest I ever raced before also if you take 2 asprin before the race it thins your blood and lets it flow easier