PDA

View Full Version : Advancing Timing

PismoLocal
09-02-2005, 12:08 PM
I WAS WONDERING IF ITS SAFE TO INSTALL A CURTIS SPARKS ADVANCE TIMING KEY IF YOU ALREADY HAVE AN AFTERMARKET CDI BOX ON A 400EX.

03pissedoff426
09-02-2005, 12:19 PM
I would say it's a good thing. I have a timing key and and a home programmed CDI installed, and it works great.

PismoLocal
09-02-2005, 12:47 PM
I DIDNT KNOW BECAUSE I THOUGHT THAT A CDI BOX SCREWED AROUND WITH THE TIMING OF THE SPARK OR SOMETHING. I JUST DONT WANT TO BREAK ANY THING SO I CAN AND IT WONT HURT ANYTHING?

hotrodbelair
09-02-2005, 12:48 PM
ive always wondered what is a advance timing key what does it do

PismoLocal
09-02-2005, 01:09 PM
IM NOT EXACTLY SURE BUT I THINK IT JUST OPENS YOUR VALVES UP EARLIER WHICH HELPS THINGS BURN MORE EFFICIENTLY. I REALLY DONT KNOW BUT THATS WHAT I WAS TOLD.

wilkin250r
09-02-2005, 02:40 PM
AURGH!!!!!!!!

The misinformation flying through this thread is astounding. It's truly mind-boggling.

Ok, I'll address questions and issues one at a time, in order they appear in this thread.

1. PismoLocal, turn off your caps lock. Typing in all capital letters is the equivalent of yelling.

2. As for timing keys and aftermarket CDI, it depends on the CDI. I haven't tried each and every CDI, but I think some of them actually do change your timing curve, some just change the rev limit.

3. If you have a programmable CDI, why do you need a timing advance key? Why don't you just re-program your curve?

4. The timing key does NOT open your valves earlier. It just makes the spark happen earlier in the compression stroke. You have to be careful, too early and it will cause detonation and ruin your motor really quick. Detonation can break your piston and completely trash your motor within minutes.