PDA

View Full Version : Fouling plugs!

Iliketogofast
09-02-2005, 10:43 AM
I fouled two plugs, one yesterday, one today. First time ever. I guess it's from mmy low speed break in, because I mix at 40:1 now instead of 38, but it might be my non-synthetic oil I'm running for the duration of the break in. Any other ideas on this?

wilkin250r
09-02-2005, 11:35 AM
:huh

40:1 has less oil than 38:1, so why would it be fouling plugs?

It sounds like you might be running a little rich.

What stage of break-in are you at? If you're still doing heat cycles and low-speed break-in, just live with it and buy a bunch of plugs.

During break-in, you are relieving stresses inside your motor. Those stresses make a seizure much more likely, so the last thing you want is to compound likelihood by running lean.

Once your break-in is complete, if you're still fouling plugs, then verify your jetting and possibly lean it out a bit.

250r4life
09-02-2005, 11:36 AM
hmm, why are you using different oil for your breakin that youre not going to be using when riding? i can understand maybe mixing a tad rich and maybe jetting a tad fat, but dont swith up your oil, thats no bueno

zedicus00
09-02-2005, 11:51 AM
some peeple who run synthetic on a daily basis believe its not a good idea to break in the engine using synthetic oil.

while that is tru in a 4-stroke its kinda a moot point in a 2-stroke since it doesnt live in a constant oil bath.

too each there own, live with it till after break in then rejet.

Iliketogofast
09-03-2005, 02:36 PM
Yeah, I was told somewhere, I don't remember where about the fouling. And yeah wilkin, I noticed that after I started talking to people that I was mixing leaner on the oil, it just shows how dumb I am :p It's been so long since I mixed a tank of gas I forgot.

Iliketogofast
09-03-2005, 03:18 PM
I did low speed for about 6-8 hours, now I'm doing bursts of speed, going really fast and then letting it cool off.