PDA

View Full Version : Standard Travel to Long Travel

Chino886
09-02-2005, 08:39 AM
If you want to go from Standard Travel to Long travel do you have to buy complete new A-arms? I have +2 +1 Laeger's and I was wanting to go Long Travel.

bwamos
09-02-2005, 09:39 AM
Yes.
LT a-arms are generally "long shock" a-arms, wich put the lower pivot point closer to the wheel causing a longer stroke on the shock for the same amount of wheel travel.

If you already have a good set of arms and dialed in shocks, I'd just stick with them. Unless you have money to burn, you arent going to get $1500+ worth of improvement between the two systems. (assuming you already have a good set of shocks to go with those arms)

If you were stock, I'd say go for it for sure, but you probably already have a great setup.

Note: this is only my personal opinion on the subject. Take it for what it is. ;)

Chino886
09-02-2005, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by bwamos
Yes.
LT a-arms are generally "long shock" a-arms, wich put the lower pivot point closer to the wheel causing a longer stroke on the shock for the same amount of wheel travel.

If you already have a good set of arms and dialed in shocks, I'd just stick with them. Unless you have money to burn, you arent going to get $1500+ worth of improvement between the two systems. (assuming you already have a good set of shocks to go with those arms)

If you were stock, I'd say go for it for sure, but you probably already have a great setup.

Note: this is only my personal opinion on the subject. Take it for what it is. ;)

I am happy with the set up that I have, I am going to get compression and maybe rebound adjustment added to my current set up this winter, I did not know if it was worth it to do a complete frontend overhaul.

wilkin250r
09-02-2005, 09:53 AM
I would have to agree 100% with bwamos. If you're building from the ground up, the long travel will run you a few hundred more than standard travel, and probably worth it if you have the skill to push those limits.

Yes, you need new A-arms.

If you already have a good setup, it will cost at least $1500 to convert to long-travel front, not to mention the costs of any adjustments to the rear. And to be honest, most riders won't even be able to tell the difference, let alone actually take advantage of the difference.

Chino886
09-02-2005, 09:54 AM
Thanks guys, I appreciate the fast responses, I just need to get the shocks rebuilt and I think I will be good.

Dave400ex
09-02-2005, 10:09 PM
Just send the shocks to a place like Precision Concepts, Noleen, etc, and you won't need the LT.