PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Katrina’s Challenge to the ATV Community

Admin
09-02-2005, 08:29 AM
As you know, thousands of our ATV and Dirt Bike riding brothers lost their homes and property (and machines) to Hurricane Katrina on Monday. Just below my house in Belle Chasse, the land is gone and under water in lower Plaquemines Parish, including Port Sulphur, Buras, Point-A-La-Hache, Boothville, Venice. 30,000+ Parish residents have permanently lost their homes and property through "instant" coastal erosion. We are destroyed and the infrastructure is gone.

Tonight(Monday 8/29/05) as I write this letter, the rising waters continue to take their toll on New Orleans and surrounding areas. 80-90% of Southeast Louisiana is under water. The American Tsunami is an understatement. (And don't get me started about those looters!)

Southern Louisiana and Mississippi, as well as Alabama, Georgia and Florida, were hard hit. We lost trails in Mississippi like Bethel and Sawdust ATV Trails in South Mississippi, as well as Red Creek Off Road Park in Gulfport, Scenic Trails in Perkiston and Southern Mississippi Offroad Park near Kiln. In Louisiana, we lost The Bonnet Carre Spillway Trails and Tracks that were developed (with our partners, the U.S. Army Corp of Engineers) over the last (8) years. Over $200,000.00 was spent in the way of Donations, Grant Money and Work-in-Kind to develop the 1,000 acres. The Spillway is the only legal ride spot in southern Louisiana.

I don't know what my fellow Offroad enthusiasts feel for their devastated brethren, but I know that some thing can be done. Although I am a Hurricane Katrina Victim, I am also an Off Road activist (see below) in this State. I want to revive our sport down here on the Gulf ASAP!

Many people cannot rebuild homes and replace possessions, and then also immediately start to purchase new toys or get their Damaged ATV's and Dirt Bikes fixed. Something should be done.

I challenge the Off Road community to join together and donate New and Used Offroad Dirt Bikes, ATVs, Generators, Helmets, Gear, Tires, Accessories, Service, Donations of Money, whatever -- to a specific fund or holding company.

We could show our colors!

My 2 cents and Thanks!

Regards,

Tim Boles
"Bama250R"

"I ask for no donations or gifts for me personally because I can recover on my own, but most down here will not pull through for many years. As for my story, I will not know if I lost my home for a minimum of (2) weeks because of the devastation, and even then , I will just get a look at the damage, and it will takes months to let everyone return to their property with or without a home. My wife and I both lost our jobs on Monday due to the Hurricane, and our businesses are decimated, and with both of us in our 50’s, we will be starting over our lives again.

My "rides" were an '05 Suzuki King Quad 700, an '01 400EX that I had rebuilt and customized, an '00 Kodiak 4x4, and last but not least, my '88 250R that was a "Low Hour" that had been built to perfection in XC style. It was beautiful, and all of them made me proud. I hope that they are still there when I can get back in, water-logged or not, but there is a very slim chance.

I had also collected every issue of each of the following magazines since 1985 or the magazines inception: Dirt Wheels, (3&4) 4 Wheel ATV Action, ATV Sport (formerly 3 Wheeling), ATV Sports, ATV Rider, ATV Illustrated, ATV Magazine and the new "Quad" magazine. Probably all ruined!

I had priceless videos and photos in my home of my 25 years of serious Off-Roading such as GNCC, Flat Track, TT, Mud Bog and Sand Drag races that I had participated in over the years, and then there are the commercial ATV and Dirt Bike videos and DVD's I had collected. My gear and support equipment are probably also gone or ruined."

Mxjunkie
09-02-2005, 08:34 AM
awesome idea! :macho

HtFoxChick
09-02-2005, 08:38 AM
Do we have any idea how many members were effected? Maybe, adopt families and donate cash to help them get threw these hard times?????

quadcustoms
09-02-2005, 07:11 PM
hey tim boles
when this first happened you was the first person i thought about i came down and bought up some 350rx chasis quads from you 4 or 5 years back.i knew you was on the water.
man i hate it so bad for all the good peaple down there.
you folks hang in there,we americans do nothing better than help each other,its just going to be a little timely, david bullard

Pappy
09-02-2005, 07:16 PM
Count me in!

vinson581
09-02-2005, 07:19 PM
things like this seriously bring a tear to my eye

popo
09-02-2005, 09:36 PM
John Saxon that races GNCC lost his house and barn.

400exc
09-02-2005, 09:49 PM
my school today made like 1500 bucks for the people down there, and thats just today!

Admin
09-03-2005, 05:18 AM
Originally posted by popo
John Saxon that races GNCC lost his house and barn.

I personally know John Saxon from racing in the GNCC Series, and he is a great example of a hard working american that loved to race ATVS, and he even made the long trip north to Rausch Creek for the 6 Hours of ATV America to race with his fellow C Class competitors.

I think he would be a perfect candidate for ATVriders.com to adopt and start a collection to help him get back on his feet and back at the track.

Thanks POPO for sharing this information with us, and if anybody knows any other riders in the deep south that was affected we could add them to the list and split up the donations, but I feel at the most we should only sponsor 3 individuals.

Early next week, I will have a donation setup created for those that want to contribute to helping a fellow ATVer get back on his feet.

HondaRacing23
09-05-2005, 07:48 AM
Count me in!

09-05-2005, 08:34 AM
eh.. i think those guys down there need to worry a little less about "Reviving" the sport in the area, and more on REBUILDING there lives.. Accually i think the last thing on anyones mind down there should be atving.. family, shelter, food, all that needs to come first.

But thats just my view of it..

Jesse

zeppelin
09-05-2005, 10:34 AM
well most of the people that lost homes were in new orleanse and the surronding areas, but how many people in a big city like that do you think actualy have bikes. most of the people i think that would have bike are in the less affected rural areas so yeah lot of people like me have really been directly affected and already want to go riding, but right now is not a time to be selfesh before i help rebuiled any tracks or trails im going to be going to shelters and helping evacs out

ill_lil_romey
09-09-2005, 01:46 PM
I lost my home and my property in Plaquemines Parish, just below New Orleans. My bike was half way through a makeover when the storm hit and I was able to save everything but the motor. I have been looking on here and on E-Bay for a 400ex motor for days, if there is anyone that can help out please let me know. I'm not asking for handouts just any kind of assistance finding a motor, any help will be greatly appreciated thank you.

HondaRacing23
09-09-2005, 06:13 PM
I work at a dealership. I could prlly get you a brand new motor for a reasonable price. I know u arent really looking for a new one but ill keep my eyes open for some used ones too. sorry to here about your house and everything it must me hard starting all over again. Ill keep my eyes open for you though.

brian-250
09-09-2005, 06:34 PM
I know john to, i heard he only lost the roof off his house, but it did destroy the new pole barn, me and wayne tharp were disscusing going down to help rebuild im not sure if we will, im sure i can come up with some goodies to donate, just gotta find them.:o

quadcustoms
09-09-2005, 06:51 PM
BRIAN YOU HAVE THE BEST AVITAR
615 643 8770 IS A GUY NAME ANDY RUCKER FROM NASHVILLE TN HE CALLED TONIGHT WANTING TO PART OUT A 416EX
GIVE HIM A SHOUT HE IS STAND UP GOOD DUDE
THANKS DAVID