PDA

View Full Version : vavles and feeler guage

ReconRider25
09-01-2005, 11:18 PM
ok i adjusted my valves today first time ive ever messed with valves on anything(have had experience inside motors but just on 2strokers from the sledworld) and its still ticking. how much drag should there be on the feeler guage when u know if its tight enough or not? im goin on a trip with my gf family and were ridin all weekend so i wanna make sure i got this right. gonna try redoin the adjustment tomarrow so i know if i got it right or not. thanks. and yes i did a search. most of it was about tdc.:p nothin on the actual feeler guage pinch.

dork
09-02-2005, 12:42 AM
the right clearance is a light drag on the gauge, you shouldn't be able to get the next size in unless you really force it.

400exrider707
09-02-2005, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by ReconRider25
ok i adjusted my valves today first time ive ever messed with valves on anything(have had experience inside motors but just on 2strokers from the sledworld) and its still ticking. how much drag should there be on the feeler guage when u know if its tight enough or not? im goin on a trip with my gf family and were ridin all weekend so i wanna make sure i got this right. gonna try redoin the adjustment tomarrow so i know if i got it right or not. thanks. and yes i did a search. most of it was about tdc.:p nothin on the actual feeler guage pinch.

Well the ticking isn't necessarily a bad thing, its when you dont hear the ticking that you have a problem. If you dont hear ticking that means that the valves are too tight and the cam isn't allowing the valves to close all the way and your losing power. The ticking should at least go away somewhat when it warms up, because the metal inside expands closing the gap between your rockers and valves. Thats why you put the gap there in the first place. Sorry for ranting, but hope this helps.