PDA

View Full Version : vp racing fuel

Quadrider63
09-01-2005, 10:19 PM
does any one know if you can use vp racing fuel (110 octane) in a stock 400ex engine

thanks

Ex'r Marlin
09-01-2005, 10:35 PM
I believe you can use it with no harm to the engine.

I understand that the higher octane burns quicker, and this helps the engine to keep as cool as possible. I also believe that there is a small percentage of lead in the VP fuel, that also aids in cooling the engine.

The higher octane is needed for higher compression applications.

I also understand that with the stock 400EX, 91 pump octane up to 94 pump octane works great.

Also benefit... The VP race gas smells good!:blah:

Note: Some of us mix 50/50 race gas with premium pump gas on compressions 10.8:1 and 11:1. There maybe a need for "full" race gas at 12:1 and higher.

400exrider707
09-01-2005, 10:35 PM
no benefit, with the exception of smell, its a waste of money:o

If anything it will make it harder to start and thats it.........

gojk
09-02-2005, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Ex'r Marlin
I believe you can use it with no harm to the engine.

I understand that the higher octane burns quicker, and this helps the engine to keep as cool as possible. I also believe that there is a small percentage of lead in the VP fuel, that also aids in cooling the engine.

The higher octane is needed for higher compression applications.

I also understand that with the stock 400EX, 91 pump octane up to 94 pump octane works great.

Also benefit... The VP race gas smells good!:blah:

Note: Some of us mix 50/50 race gas with premium pump gas on compressions 10.8:1 and 11:1. There maybe a need for "full" race gas at 12:1 and higher.

This is incorrect. The higher octane fuel burns slower and resisted predetonation better than the lower octane fuels. The predetonation is what causes the higher temps and power loss, and that is why the higher octane fuel is used. Higher octane fuels resist predetonation, helping with cooling and creating more power because the engine fires when it is supposed to.

Chino
09-02-2005, 06:52 PM
their is no need to run high octane fuel in a stock ex, will you notice ZERO POWER GAINS. only a LOSS IN YOUR CHECKBOOK. like ex'r said, use 91 +. if you do run on a higher comp piston you can mix race gas up until about 12:1 like he said. I run a 13:1 je high compression piston and i run straight 114 octane, not because i want to, but because i need to.

gojk
09-02-2005, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by Chino
their is no need to run high octane fuel in a stock ex, will you notice ZERO POWER GAINS. only a LOSS IN YOUR CHECKBOOK. like ex'r said, use 91 +. if you do run on a higher comp piston you can mix race gas up until about 12:1 like he said. I run a 13:1 je high compression piston and i run straight 114 octane, not because i want to, but because i need to.

Exactly. Someone should sticky this post at the top of the powertrain forum. :blah:

jamienlogan
09-02-2005, 10:16 PM
I have a 11:1 piston and I can get pure alcohol. how would you mix that with normal gas, b/c im sure I would fry the piston running that straite right?

gojk
09-02-2005, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by jamienlogan
I have a 11:1 piston and I can get pure alcohol. how would you mix that with normal gas, b/c im sure I would fry the piston running that straite right?

I don't think you would want to mix. That would seperate so fast you would never be able to get the jetting straight.

jamienlogan
09-02-2005, 10:28 PM
so dont mess with it period right? Could I just buy octaine boost and put it in unleaded gas?

Chino
09-02-2005, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by jamienlogan
so dont mess with it period right? Could I just buy octaine boost and put it in unleaded gas?

octane boost is junk IMO. just run high test gas man, your not gonna see any improvment with octane boost or race fuel. it's a waste of money, put some high test gas in it, change the oil and oil filter and ride the piss out of it.

gojk
09-02-2005, 11:05 PM
Y not just run some race gas. It isn't much more than premium these days.:mad:

QuadJunkies
09-03-2005, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by gojk
Y not just run some race gas. It isn't much more than premium these days.:mad: thats the truth!!! :o

Seriously though, I run C-12 in mine, has race fuel went up any ? I need to get some next fill up :scary:

BGRider400
09-03-2005, 03:31 AM
Another thing to add is with the price of gas now people are not buying the higher octain fuel these days and the gas is just sitting in the ground collecting water and breaking down but the time you put it in whatever the chance of creating engine deposits in your fuel systen are huge. the need for higher octain is only for compression. high compression mean high heat which means per det. stick to what they tell you to run and keep the oil clean.
turst me I sell fuel addiatives for a living.