PDA

View Full Version : New rumor of gas strikes...

TheX1992
09-01-2005, 09:14 PM
I talked to a guy at the parts store today. His friend drives semi. He just came up from Madison and said all the diesel is sold out and there won't be any more shipments for a while. So there is a new thing out where ALL transported goods, semi, train, everything, will shut down on the spot for 7 days. No goods will travel. All frozen goods will be ruined. No packages will be delivered. This nation will literally shut down on strike.

I think it would work because it just seems that their starting to abuse their privledges of making money. Today it went from 2.99 to 3.19, and it was 2.89 the day before...What do you think?

09-01-2005, 09:20 PM
Way I see it is the drivers will be fired and there the only ones getting a punishment. You need publicity.

Atkins
09-01-2005, 09:21 PM
I think its a crying shame theyre taking trying to make money off of a national tragedy. I got enough food in my house to last my family 7 days easy, and its a small sacrifice compared to the losses on the gulf coast.

Good idea!:macho

TheX1992
09-01-2005, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by kickerkfx444
Way I see it is the drivers will be fired and there the only ones getting a punishment. You need publicity.

If the drivers do it on their own, then yes I'm sure that they will be fired. But....If the owners of the company realize that they are LOSING money by transporting their goods using the high priced fuel and not raising their prices dramatically to cover the loss, then they might be able to get away from it. I would rather not make money than to lose it.

250rmike
09-01-2005, 09:28 PM
the gas problem is because one of the main pipelines failed or isnt operationsal for some reason. the food and all has alot to do with the hurricane. its basically shut down the mississippi, and the whole south. i know north carolina is out of gas in some places also. i dont think they can fire the truck drivers since if there is no gas they cant drive so it would kind of be illegal unless they want them to pull the trucks themselves

SSracingNY
09-01-2005, 09:34 PM
they had a strike a long time ago. all the truckers took their semi's(empty ofcourse) and parked down in washington because the fuel prices were crazy

derekhonda
09-01-2005, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by TheX1992
I talked to a guy at the parts store today. His friend drives semi. He just came up from Madison and said all the diesel is sold out and there won't be any more shipments for a while. So there is a new thing out where ALL transported goods, semi, train, everything, will shut down on the spot for 7 days. No goods will travel. All frozen goods will be ruined. No packages will be delivered. This nation will literally shut down on strike.

I think it would work because it just seems that their starting to abuse their privledges of making money. Today it went from 2.99 to 3.19, and it was 2.89 the day before...What do you think?

Gee, my dads trucks will still be running, guess maybe they will get really busy.

iceracer65
09-01-2005, 10:16 PM
thats what they do in russia...block the streets so no one can get through for weeks on end.

they make government take notice.

REVOLUTION NOW!

zephead400ex
09-01-2005, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by SSracingNY
they had a strike a long time ago. all the truckers took their semi's(empty ofcourse) and parked down in washington because the fuel prices were crazy

I think something similare happened in Florida. This actually might work. I know this tactic has been used previously. IMO at this point in the game, anything is worth a shot.

I know we have plenty of food in our house to last at least 2 weeks or better. If you count the squirrels, rabbits and neighborhood cats we have running around, we're set for at least a month! :)

Martin Blair
09-01-2005, 10:28 PM
**** we got foor to last for 2 years in my house, my parents went crazy with y2k and terrism stuff, i swear half the basemnet is ammo and the other half is mres. :eek2:

I think we should get a big group from exrider to drive to washingtion, ill do it, just all plan to meet up at places along like I-70 to pick others up then dirve into washington. Once we get thier we should unload our quads, and do donuts in the whitehouse lawn, then go do something about gas.:devil:

Robin Hood
09-01-2005, 10:34 PM
The way I see it, gas wont go down unless people go on strike, then its obvious to the government that prices are getting well out of hand.... Ive heard that the stations get barrels of gas for 4$ and sell it for 80$... Thats being a little abusive ...

zephead400ex
09-01-2005, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by HN400exracer
**** we got foor to last for 2 years in my house, my parents went crazy with y2k and terrism stuff, i swear half the basemnet is ammo and the other half is mres. :eek2:

I think we should get a big group from exrider to drive to washingtion, ill do it, just all plan to meet up at places along like I-70 to pick others up then dirve into washington. Once we get thier we should unload our quads, and do donuts in the whitehouse lawn, then go do something about gas.:devil:

If your driving, I'll consider it. But I would prefer to keep my body holeless for at least a few more years...getting shot by the Secret Service isn't too high up on my life agenda.

vinson581
09-01-2005, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by HN400exracer

u and me both bud. i got enough fire power for a small army. and enough food to last through and ice age

vinson581
09-01-2005, 10:46 PM
oh and about the driving to washington...count me in lol if you guys ever decide to it ..i wouldnt mind being remembered as the person who layed mad wheel in his quad....we would be heros for the whole riding community

2nd sucks
09-01-2005, 11:04 PM
count me in, anything to make then retarded government ppl realize what is going on...i bet they dont pay out of their pocket to fill their hummers, and jaguars...

its 3.22 here for 86octane,,,,,when will it stop?

TheX1992
09-01-2005, 11:09 PM
I've already ran into a problem...I CAN'T AFFORD THE GAS TO DRIVE TO WASHINGTON TO GO ON STRIKE ABOUT GAS PRICES! We need to do a big carpool :p

2nd sucks
09-01-2005, 11:11 PM
rent a school bus or two :macho

Pappy
09-02-2005, 05:59 AM
strike?

does the school system NOT teach basic economics any more?

a trucker with a $2500 truck payment, $1200 fuel bill, inurance and then his personal pay and his personal bills can not afford to shut his rig down for 7 days to prove a point.

average increase in diesel over the last 10 days, $.15 cents.

15 cent increase x 300 gallons per week = $45 x 4 weeks per month= $180

if he is earning nominal OTR rates, and charging the surcharge that almost EVERY truck owner/operator, frieght company etc . has been charging for well over 5 years now due to rising fuel costs, they are not hurting as bad as you may think.

i had to run a cost run on our business yesterday and we found that would not have any long term impact on our business if it did not increase further then $3.00 per gallon of diesel. we have made arrangements to re schedule runs to be more cost effective and will conserve fuel when and where we can.

MXcutie
09-02-2005, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by derekhonda
Gee, my dads trucks will still be running, guess maybe they will get really busy.

well that's good for you but my dad is thinking about shuttin his business down for atleast 2 weeks if the prices jump any higher.... right now he has enough money to pay on his trucks till spring but not have enough money to pay on his trucks plus put the fuel in it at this rate..... and my grandmother and me were talking yesterday and back home for ppl on a fixed budget they are goin to have to pick to either eat or keep warm b/c of heating fuel costs......

TheFontMaster
09-02-2005, 11:26 AM
Around here gas prices have gone up about a dollar a gallon in the last 4 months, and about doubled in the last year. My girlfeind's uncle works on a military base, and they get gas on the base for 1.20 a gallon. Thats way more than half of what alot of the country is paying. If the government can let gas go for that little on base's there is no doubt in my mind that they can do something about the gas prices everywhere else.

wilkin250r
09-02-2005, 11:29 AM
Last I heard, our government wasn't the one responsible for fuel prices. They don't set the costs of crude oil.

Going on strike isn't going to fix the hurricane and problems down south.

If we force our government to do something, really the only thing they CAN do immediately is lower taxes on fuel. And think of the impact this will have. If we reduce the taxes on fuel, taxes on other things will have to go up to cover the difference. When was the last time you saw a government agency cut their budget significantly?

If truckers want to go on strike to be able to renegotiate their contracts with customers, that might be something. They have set prices according to their contracts, and if fuel costs are rising, but shipping prices are not, trucking companies are losing money, they may need to increase prices.

However, if they are going on strike to force the government to do something about fuel costs, that's the dumbest thing I can think of.

JRDrider22
09-02-2005, 11:30 AM
gas rises 20 cents a gallon a day here in jersey. its becoming rediculous. but hey what can we do.

Mxjunkie
09-02-2005, 11:30 AM
I'd cry if the prices went back down to 1 dollar something to be honest.. lol

after 26 years of racing my boss quit cause he cant afford the gas anymore.. sucks :ermm:

the truckers at my dads work that deilver mushrooms, I was talking to a few of them today they said if theres a strike they will do it. A few of them have been planning on it, they have money stashed away to keep them over. If it happens its going to screw over the mushroom companys BIG time and so on. My dads work for an example ship almost 5-6 tractor and trailers a DAY. I can only imagine what everything else will be like :eek2:

Bill Fuller
09-02-2005, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
Last I heard, our government wasn't the one responsible for fuel prices. They don't set the costs of crude oil.

Going on strike isn't going to fix the hurricane and problems down south.

If we force our government to do something, really the only thing they CAN do immediately is lower taxes on fuel. And think of the impact this will have. If we reduce the taxes on fuel, taxes on other things will have to go up to cover the difference. When was the last time you saw a government agency cut their budget significantly?

If truckers want to go on strike to be able to renegotiate their contracts with customers, that might be something. They have set prices according to their contracts, and if fuel costs are rising, but shipping prices are not, trucking companies are losing money, they may need to increase prices.

Thats why I like this guy so much.Truth and honesty.I'm sure the rest of the world is just laughing away at the poor Americans who can't afford to put gas in thier Hummer.We are just now catching up to the rest of the world in the cost of fuel.
However, if they are going on strike to force the government to do something about fuel costs, that's the dumbest thing I can think of.

Crazy Honda
09-02-2005, 12:33 PM
link for ya http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8998608/ :confused:

WKY400EX
09-02-2005, 12:55 PM
A few of the local gas stations around here have either shut down, or stopped selling gas all together. I guess it doesn't pay to keep selling gas when you're only getting a few cents from every gallon.:(
Is that happening anywhere else in the country?

MR.BIG
09-02-2005, 01:37 PM
Well its $3.29 here in jersey so as of today I will be riding my street bike which gets close to 50mpg if I can keep out of the throttle. It definately sucks when you have to work half a day to fill your car or truck.

Pappy
09-02-2005, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by WKY400EX
A few of the local gas stations around here have either shut down, or stopped selling gas all together. I guess it doesn't pay to keep selling gas when you're only getting a few cents from every gallon.:(
Is that happening anywhere else in the country?

its more then likely a case of the stations not being able to get a load of fuel due to service interuptions versus profitability. gas lines have started forming locally here but so far noone has stated they would be running low on gas or that shipments will be delayed.

trick450r
09-02-2005, 03:05 PM
right when i opened this i saw on the news that some guy stopped selling gas...not because of supply but because he just felt it was a screwing for the drivers and he didnt want to contribute to the injustice...

Mxjunkie
09-02-2005, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by trick450r
right when i opened this i saw on the news that some guy stopped selling gas...not because of supply but because he just felt it was a screwing for the drivers and he didnt want to contribute to the injustice...

theres a few gas stations here doing that too!

Warnerade
09-02-2005, 03:23 PM
I should try to organize a strike for not going to school, with the kids who drive that cant afford the gas.

it will do no good

WKY400EX
09-02-2005, 04:06 PM
I just read that it was $6.00/gallon in greater Atlanta.:eek2:

gojk
09-02-2005, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by trick450r

Or he wants to hold onto the gas until he can charge $7/gal for it. Some stations over here have started taping off pumps so that they can charge a higher rate in a few days.