PDA

View Full Version : Ring Gap

JOEX
09-01-2005, 08:59 PM
What should the ring gap be for a Ross 416 (88mm) piston? Just want to double check my numbers:)

jak1389
09-02-2005, 08:20 AM
call them up and ask;)

Colby@C&DRacing
09-02-2005, 09:12 AM
top ring .014
2nd ring .017
oil scraper rings min .015

wilkin250r
09-02-2005, 09:26 AM
Joe, are you on your rebuild? You had to split the cases to fix the shifter shaft, didn't you?

Remember to check your deck height and squish. Thinner gaskets will retard your cam timing just a bit, but that's not too terrible. Retarding your cam timing will push your powerband a little higher into the RPMs.

Get rid of the timing key.

JOEX
09-02-2005, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by Colby@C&DRacing
top ring .014
2nd ring .017
oil scraper rings min .015
WooHoo! I was right:p

Wilkin,

Yes, I did split the cases and it went fairly easy....... I think. Hoping it works, I turned the crank by hand and it went in and of each gear easily. The key is gone;) I also got a deal on a slightly used stage 2 cam to go with the dual exhaust:cool:

cals400ex
09-03-2005, 01:00 AM
new or old stage 2?

JOEX
09-03-2005, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by cals400ex
new or old stage 2?
Old I belive, didn't ask:ermm:

Do you know how to tell the difference?

cals400ex
09-05-2005, 03:17 AM
i sure don't. do you have the spec card with the cam? if so, what are the specs?

JOEX
09-05-2005, 06:48 PM
No spec card. He said he had it for awhile so i'm pretty sure it's the old stage two. When did they actually release the new one?

QuadJunkies
09-06-2005, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by JOEX
No spec card. He said he had it for awhile so i'm pretty sure it's the old stage two. When did they actually release the new one?

you be careful on thathot cam! I got one that was sitting on a shelf from a Company I wont say here, they had no idea all the probs on this , but I just happened to get one last winter! We called Hot Cams and they sent me out a replacement for free. I would call them and check on it if I were you ;)

cals400ex
09-06-2005, 01:45 PM
i am not sure when they released the new one. i don't think it was too long ago. maybe a few months ago, but i really don't know. what does the flange look like on that cam. i have seen several hotcams. the really really old ones had the stock flange removed and pressed on. then i had one that had a larger flange that was circular. it definately weighed more. then my buddy got one and it had a flange that looked closer to the stock flange, but it was a little different.

JOEX
09-06-2005, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
you be careful on thathot cam! I got one that was sitting on a shelf from a Company I wont say here, they had no idea all the probs on this , but I just happened to get one last winter! We called Hot Cams and they sent me out a replacement for free. I would call them and check on it if I were you ;)
I forgot all about that issue they had with some of their cams:ermm: Hope this isn't one of them. I think there is a woodruff key for the flange. Didn't they do that on the newer ones?

This one looks just like the Stage 1 I got recently. I didn't compare them side by side though.

wilkin250r
09-06-2005, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
This one looks just like the Stage 1 I got recently. I didn't compare them side by side though.

Well, yeah. ALL camshafts for your engine are going to have the same basic shape, some very slight changes in the lobe sizes and shape are the only difference. Even side-by-side, you'd have to look real close to see a difference.

JOEX
09-06-2005, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
Well, yeah. ALL camshafts for your engine are going to have the same basic shape, some very slight changes in the lobe sizes and shape are the only difference. Even side-by-side, you'd have to look real close to see a difference.
I was refering to style of the flange that cals was talking about.

cals400ex
09-06-2005, 04:00 PM
i really don't know much about their flanges. the newer ones will have a flange already pressed on. i haven't heard of any problems with their newer ones.

Colby@C&DRacing
09-06-2005, 04:06 PM
if the flange is already on the cam and has a single key way you have a newer style.

QuadJunkies
09-07-2005, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by cals400ex
i am not sure when they released the new one. i don't think it was too long ago. maybe a few months ago.

I enquired on mine back in NOv. of last year ,and they were replaced back then, so its porl. been at least a year, unless they replaced them AGAIN ???