PDA

View Full Version : bearing replacement

397ccEX
09-01-2005, 07:57 PM
:uhoh:
My rear end on my 400ex locked up i have determened i need to replace the bearings The chain adjuster is a little chewd up on the aluminum I beleive this also serves as the bearing carier whats a good brand of bearings and any tips befor i jump in this job

Thanks

KODY

tprender
09-02-2005, 05:07 AM
Sounds like it would be better to buy a new after makert bearing carrier if the chain adjustment area is bad.

Chino
09-02-2005, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by 397ccEX
:uhoh:
My rear end on my 400ex locked up i have determened i need to replace the bearings The chain adjuster is a little chewd up on the aluminum I beleive this also serves as the bearing carier whats a good brand of bearings and any tips befor i jump in this job

Thanks

KODY

as long as u can still get something in the slots to adjust the chain, no worries. that area doesnt' affect the "carrier itself" as for doing this job, make sure to have some snap ring pliers handy, as well as a big pipe wrench to loosen your loc nut. other than that, i would suggest buying yourself a 400ex manual, not an owners manual, the clymer's or other brand of maintenance manual. but since i have some time, ill post the procedure in the next post...

Chino
09-02-2005, 07:09 PM
1. Take your right rear tire off. Then take out the coter pin located in the hub nut. After that take the hub not off, then the hub will slide off of the axle.

2. Then you must loosen your loc nut, remember the threads on a loc nut are reverse threads so use your head when doing this.

3. After taking the loc nut in towards your bearing carrier you will notice a small cir clip that is on the axle in a groove. Get yourself two small phillps screw drivers and gently remove that cir clip.

4. After that your loc nut will slide off of the axle. Also i forgot to mention you need to take the two 12mm bolts out of your caliper on the first step as well. After the loc nut slides off, get yourself some snap ring pliers and take the snap ring off the tapered part of the bearing carrier.

5. After you do that you will then be able to knock the caliper stay off. It's the metal circular piece your right side of the bearing carrier goes through. You will also notice there is a lil nut on the side of the swingarm that it fits precisley over.

6. After knocking that off, pull out your axle, i always leave the left side tire on just so i dont have to take it off, but you can take it off making it easier to handle your axle.

7. After your axle is out your bearing carrier will pop right out. ALSO I FORGOT TO MENTION MAKE SURE YOU LOOSEN THE 4 ALLEN HEAD BOLTS UP ON THE BACK OF YOUR SWINGARM OR THE CARRIER WILL NOT POP OUT.

8. After you get the carrier out clean up the inside of your swingarm real well where that carrier goes in alot of dirt and bulidup gets in there.

9. Put in your new carrier, or new bearings in your current carrier and repeat steps 1-9 but backwards, i hoped this helped you out some and i'm glad i had nothing better to do right now than type this out, i could have easily told u just to search the forums because it's all over here. Hope this helped if you have any more problems send me a PM or just post it.

Chino ~

Dannys440
09-02-2005, 07:49 PM
Chino what about the chain?

397ccEX
09-02-2005, 09:05 PM
Chino I do appreciate that one more question... I will send u a pic
I believe i will get a new carier
Do i need to get a swingarmbearing kit or a rear wheel bearing kit?

Dannys440
09-02-2005, 10:40 PM
Rear wheel brearing kit,if you get the swingarm bearing kit you are gonna get the little ones with the needle bearings.One of the best bearing kit brands is Pivot Works.

Chino
09-02-2005, 10:58 PM
Chino I do appreciate that one more question... I will send u a pic
I believe i will get a new carier
Do i need to get a swingarmbearing kit or a rear wheel bearing kit?

if you buy a new carrier, it will most likely come with new bearings in it, make sure and ask that question when you purchase it, if not, you need bearings for the bearing carrier, which consists of two bearings one on each side and a two dust caps/seals one for each side, unless you get a twin row carrier which one side will have two bearings and the other side will have one.

Chino
09-02-2005, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by Dannys440
Chino what about the chain?

hopefully that's self explanitory, i did the best i could, im sure i may have missed a few minor details, if all else fails, take a jigsaw to the chain :devil:

397ccEX
09-04-2005, 09:44 AM
I took it appart and ask fell out of the carrier Im buying a new carrier. Motoman.com has a MODQUAD WITH ZERK GREASE FITTINGS TWIN ROW 200 DOLLARS anybody have any recomendations?

Chino
09-04-2005, 07:43 PM
I took it appart and ask fell out of the carrier Im buying a new carrier. Motoman.com has a MODQUAD WITH ZERK GREASE FITTINGS TWIN ROW 200 DOLLARS anybody have any recomendations?

lonestar

TCracin440ex
09-04-2005, 08:04 PM

rad mfg bearing carrier....double row bearing carrier got it off ebay for like 145 shipped....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RAD-BEARING-CARRIER-Honda-250R-400EX-ATVs-1Yr-Warranty_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43972QQitemZ45 73309774QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

here is the same guy i bought mine off of...i like this carrier because simply the grease zerk aint hidden in the swing arm so i can grease mine when ever needed....unlike the lonestar grease zerk thats inside the carrier

397ccEX
09-05-2005, 08:38 PM
http://www.moto-man.com/cgi-bin/motoman/00275.html?id=nUeTKyHp

is that the same one?

TCracin440ex
09-06-2005, 05:18 PM
http://www.moto-man.com/cgi-bin/motoman/00275.html?id=nUeTKyHp

is that the same one?

YEP

397ccEX
09-06-2005, 07:13 PM
I just found a good deal on an rpm carrier
170 twin row and
250 for the millenium carrier?

Can some body help me what the hell is the Millenium :rolleyes:

TCracin440ex
09-06-2005, 11:22 PM
I just found a good deal on an rpm carrier
170 twin row and
250 for the millenium carrier?

Can some body help me what the hell is the Millenium :rolleyes:

probally a tapered bearing carrier

397ccEX
09-07-2005, 05:04 PM
179 shiped i got the twin row
I will let you guys know how it is

Chino
09-08-2005, 08:37 PM
179 shiped i got the twin row
I will let you guys know how it is

sounds good, let me know how the installation goes if you need any help...

NFP
12-28-2007, 01:26 PM
I know I'm pullin up a dead thread, but I'm in the process of replacing the axle bearings in my stock carrier and have a question on how the hell to get the "old" bearings out?

I've tried a couple of diffrent things trying to tap it out from the opposite side, but there's barely any surface to pound (That center crush bushing is almost the same Dia as the bearings.

I'm about ready to take my carrier to a local shop to have the bearings removed by them...what ever way possible.

The only thing that I might still try is to get and Exhaust pipe expander and see if I can't catch just the bearing and pound the whole set-up. Well, that's where I'm at, any advice???