PDA

View Full Version : Is twist better?

06-08-2002, 11:21 AM
Is the twist throtle really that better? i like the thumb throtle, but i just wondering for on a four wheeler, cuase i know whas it's like on a dirt bike.

harebounder
06-08-2002, 11:33 AM
I have seen some guys with a twist throttle and the reason that they switch is they said it is less fatigue in their thumb. My personal preference is a thumb throttle because you have to turn a atv with a bike you lean and not really turn the handle bars that much.

honda250xrider
06-08-2002, 01:21 PM
i had a twist throttle i did not like it because when i jumped i would sometime land and just twist and i would kinda go out of control for a sec and you can turn it by accident but that is just my ipion

yamaha1470
06-08-2002, 02:09 PM
if u have rode motorcycles for a while then get a quad u would want a twist since u are used to it. it depends what u rode first and got used to.

PDunes300ex
06-08-2002, 04:55 PM
I rode a yz80 and CR125 since i was about 10 then gave up on bikes for a few years and got my 300 since i live like 15min's from pismo dunes. The thumb throttle is far better on the quads because you have to turn the bars so much more than on a moto-x bike. I have heard far more horror stories about twist throttles on quads than good stories. Thumb throttles on motorcycles would be inefficient and thus twist throttles on quads are more harm than good. If your thumb really gets that tired...go get one of those funny little thumb throttle extenders.
To each his own though.

muff
06-09-2002, 10:40 AM
my friend has a twist on his 400 and i dont really like it that much, when you take a right turn your wrist gets jammed, on a dirt bike you dont turn that far so that doesnt happen

i dont have a problem with hitting the gas when i land but its prolly cause i'm use to riding my friends cr

crashinmatt
06-09-2002, 08:11 PM
i have a twist throttle on mine and totally love it. i would never go back to a thumb throttle. i never rode bikes either. i dont have a problem turnin or havin a problem when i land off of jumps. ive seen others try it though and couldnt stand it. so i guess its personal preference.

Nausty
06-09-2002, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by yamaha1470
if u have rode motorcycles for a while then get a quad u would want a twist since u are used to it. it depends what u rode first and got used to.

i rode dirt bikes for a long time before i went to quads and quads I like thumb throttle because I have the best throttle control because i'm not in a awkward position when I try gassing it and the bar is in my chest. Plus thumb is a lot safer because sometimes if you land wrong or have to regrip the throttle on a twist you can get yourself in a lot of trouble.

kicken250x
06-09-2002, 11:09 PM
i wouldnt recomend it! we also own a warrior(NOT MINE!!!) and the throttle got stuck wide open and the guy ran through a evil patch of thorns cut him pretty good. it takes alot of getting used to and are alot harder to ride with when your not use to it. i find it harder to slide jump and just plain out ride with one. hope this helped

Nausty
06-09-2002, 11:15 PM
hehe he was lucky to hit thorns.... I hit a house at about 4th gear pinned and got the scars and video to prove it.

MX MadMann
06-10-2002, 05:14 AM
my dads cousin did an airal after he got on a warrior with one and diddnt know what he was doing. he ran into a 6 foot chain link fence wide open in about 3rd or 4th and flipped it over ontop of him and his wife.

a wheelie on a modded blaster with a twist throttle landed me and my buddy off the back , and the blaster dang near up a tree.

if you get into MX racing and you need to hang waaay off the side of the quad for better cornering , you are not always in the right position to give a twist throttle what you need. a thumb is easier to do while sliding around corners to keep you headed in the right direction. plus , quick backsteering is easier with a thumb.

thers muh 2 cents

casey