PDA

View Full Version : Need help

hondarider_8
09-01-2005, 05:09 PM
Hello, I recently put my motor back together, but I'm stuck on retiming it. When I go to start it, it just sputters. It wants to start, but something is holding it back. I set up everything the way the manual shows in the timing chain section. My local dealer said it sounded like it was off by 180 degrees. Can anyone please give me the information how to fix this problem properly?

jhoppa
09-01-2005, 07:02 PM
1) Go buy an Honda repair manual

2) Sounds like your timing is 180 degrees off

3) Put engine at TDC and make sure the cam is not engaging any of the valves.

4) take off inspection cover on crank and use a timing light to confirm correct timing.

hondarider_8
09-01-2005, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. I have a Clymer's manual, and have been meaning to buy a honda service manual.

wilkin250r
09-02-2005, 09:21 AM
I can't be absolutely sure, but I don't think it's possible to have it timed 180 degrees out.

For most quads, I believe they actually have a spark every revolution of the crank, even though combustion occurs every two revolutions.

Every time your crankshaft goes around, the stator charges up the CDI, and the timing trigger pulses. This happens EVERY revolution, regardless if your on the compression stroke or exhaust stroke. It HAS to, it's on the flywheel, it doesn't know what the valves are doing.

Now, it's possible to create a CDI that only triggers a spark every other revolution, but I don't think that's the case. I am 90% sure that it sparks every single revolution of the crank.

Now, one spark will be useful, during the compression stroke just before TDC. It is the one that actually ignites the fuel/air mixture. The other spark, called the phantom spark, occurs on the exhaust stroke. No danger, since the exhaust is already burnt, it won't ignite anything.

So what does that mean for your timing and 180 degrees out? It means that the phantom spark now becomes your primary spark, and it's just as strong as your regular spark, so your engine runs as normal.