PDA

View Full Version : pivot bolt hole in frame wallered out HELP...

BS300ex5
09-01-2005, 07:23 AM
riding a 300 and where the pivot bolt for the swingarm goes through the frame it has wallered it out to an eggshape... this happened on the chain side and we welded a grade 8 washer over the original hole and it has helf fine but now the exhaust side has done it and i was just wondering if anyone has had this problem and how they addressed it... what i'm considering doing is cutting that section out and welding in something hardened because welding washers in looks tacky and will be the first point of question if i go to sell it so i'm looking to see what others did with thier or what you suggest i do with this... pics are below... kinda blurry but you can kinda see what i mean

this is where i welded the washer over the original hole...

BS300ex5
09-01-2005, 07:23 AM
this is where i have the new problem...

BS300ex5
09-01-2005, 07:24 AM
another of the new hole

400exrider707
09-01-2005, 10:48 AM
I bet if you put some PJ1 frame matched spray paint where you weld on those washers, and you have nice clean "pretty" welds, they would never even notice. Or you could just tell them what happened and explain to them how you "strengthened" that area.:confused:

TheFontMaster
09-01-2005, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
I bet if you put some PJ1 frame matched spray paint where you weld on those washers, and you have nice clean "pretty" welds, they would never even notice. Or you could just tell them what happened and explain to them how you "strengthened" that area.:confused:

Like he said those are some pritty clean welds, I say weld in another washer on the other side then powdercoat the frame. I'm willing to bet that people looking to buy it wouldn't even notice it, but it's good to metion that to potential buyers. How long has the side with the washer been on, and does it seem to be holding up good?

BS300ex5
09-01-2005, 01:17 PM
first we put on just a steel washer and it lasted maybe 2 rides so we replaced it with grade 8 and it's holding up very well... it had been there for about 5 rides until the other side started letting go...

jsmith2232
09-01-2005, 03:55 PM
i smoked a tree with my 400 ex last weekend and tomarrow i'm going to bring it in to the die shop i work at and see how it goes, i'm planning on making a plate probably .050"-.080" thick that has similar shape to the part that is stretched and weld it overtop and grind it as close to original as possible and paint it. where do you get the paint from? i'll post pics of how it turned out sometime later this weekend.

400exrider707
09-01-2005, 04:11 PM
PJ1 paint at rockymountain

http://www.rockymountainatv.com/Machine_Details.atv?pid=00084988&cat=PAIN&type=PAINT&name=PJ1+Frame+Paint&make=HONDA&model=TRX+400EX&year=2001&status=

TCracin440ex
09-01-2005, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by BS300ex5
riding a 300 and where the pivot bolt for the swingarm goes through the frame it has wallered it out to an eggshape... this happened on the chain side and we welded a grade 8 washer over the original hole and it has helf fine but now the exhaust side has done it and i was just wondering if anyone has had this problem and how they addressed it... what i'm considering doing is cutting that section out and welding in something hardened because welding washers in looks tacky and will be the first point of question if i go to sell it so i'm looking to see what others did with thier or what you suggest i do with this... pics are below... kinda blurry but you can kinda see what i mean

this is where i welded the washer over the original hole...

dont want to sound completely stupid here or calling you a moron by anymeans...but have you checked your bushings/bearings in your swinger....they could be shot causing the swinger to move...therefore causing the holes to wallow out...

BS300ex5
09-01-2005, 09:45 PM
bearings are all good... recently new...

TCracin440ex
09-01-2005, 09:51 PM
oh...i dont know what could be the cause of it then

jsmith2232
09-03-2005, 02:18 PM
I don't have pics now due to loss of camera but i made a square 1-3/4" x 1-3/4" x .080" piece of 4140 ph 42-44 and had it welded into place and then grinded it down to size and it worked awesome, i only have 3 hours of riding time on it since but nothing has moved or broke. if you go with much more than .080" then the stock bolts will not work.

punker69q
09-03-2005, 06:56 PM
pivot bolt hole that gets ovals like these are caused by insufficient assembly torque. Get a torque wrench and follow the torque specs given by honda, as too much torque is not better than not enough. Also, clean the threads and put some medium strenght loctite on them, just to make sure that the nut won't come loose again.