PDA

View Full Version : bearing carrier - has anyone done it

450rboy
08-31-2005, 06:28 PM
well my bearing carries needed new bearing and i found out that i t took 3 and i found out why and thats because they need two on the torqe side to keep it from whereing out so fast. well my other side wore out a lot faster. and that bearing was really really bad. so i thought if i put it in a lath and make it so i can put two bearing in that side it will last a long time. and i got a bearing and seal kit for it. so i did put it in the lath and made it bigger so i can put two bearing in it. well i did it and it worked out fine i am just waiting right now for my G-force axle to come and i will tell you how it is. and i also just used one of the bearing that already had two on the one side and they were still good. so i just shoved one of those back in there.

and i lathed it out 3/10 of and an inch.

if there are any questions ask.

Nate Dogg #76
08-31-2005, 07:20 PM
Started rebuilding my carrier today. I'm curious to how you removed your stock beaings. Had to make a custom tool just for this. I have done this job about 20 times. This is the first on my 450R. Has anyone ever had to remove a stuck outer race? That can be a pain in the *****.

08-31-2005, 07:33 PM
Either get a large punch or use a 12" extension for a ratchet and of course a BFH.

08-31-2005, 10:29 PM
on my 400ex i tried the oven baking trick like 4 times and couldnt get it to work....i always eneded up taking a propane torch and heating up the outside of the carrier evenly untill the bearings plop out, then i would insert my new ones real quick

cals400ex
09-01-2005, 12:59 AM
you can also put the whole carrier in the oven and they should either fall out or you should be able to tap it and they will fall out. this is after you remove it from the oven. probably around 200-250 degrees should be good.