PDA

View Full Version : New Problem!!

aroracer72
08-31-2005, 05:10 PM
Lol.....one thing after another....lol

Well i was ridin my 450r up north...and it all of a sudden died. I went to kick it./.it kicked once then it locked up and would kick a second time. I took the cam cover off........turned the motor backwards a little bit..then forward and it was fine. Except theres a clunk after a rotation. Im thinking its the decomrpession or something with the valves. And theres little tiny aluminum shavings everywere. I dont know.......im shure someone knows the answer,....help me out.
CHAD

JDiablo
08-31-2005, 05:12 PM
Sounds like you might have dropped a valve and destroyed it in there?

Dobson
08-31-2005, 06:02 PM
you got a bad crank bearing:( happend to me last year

aroracer72
08-31-2005, 06:18 PM
I thought rod at first......rod seized. Im not mad or dissapointed...ol Betsy has a ton of miles...and ahrd ones at that...but i mean.....it sounds like a valve hitting the piston or soemthing. And if the rod/crank bearing went there would be steel shavings in the valve train....not aluminum like i have. I bilieve my decompression mechanism is somehow out of whack(how do you adjsut it???)...and its causing valve clearance issues.....or i broke a valve spring.

It was scheduled for a full engine rebuild this winter...ill jsut be doing it a little early...no big deal. The frame is cracked too...so ill be ablre to wrap everything up at once...no biggie :)

CHAD

aroracer72
08-31-2005, 06:20 PM
PS

there were NO metallic noises when the motor died....nor when i tried to start it...the metallic nosie when turninf it over by hand...looks to be the decompression mechanism hitting or soemthing.

Iv blown alot of crank in my past on bikes and stuff..and this sou8nded like no crank/isnt acting like a bad rod/crank.
CHAD

08-31-2005, 07:36 PM
They are talking about the bearing in the case that the crank rides on. Not the bearing on the rod.

BSTURDIVANT
08-31-2005, 08:21 PM
Just tore a friend's down and found the thrust washers gone on connecting rod! Aluminum shavings all over from pieces rubbing crankcase! Even knocked small hole in case between main and transmission sections! Definately don't run until fixed!!! He got his started after trying for a while, causing more damage!

aroracer72
08-31-2005, 08:59 PM
Ahhhh...thx guys...i was planning on tearing it down anyways.
CHAD