PDA

View Full Version : help with swing arm

250x_Case
08-31-2005, 04:32 PM
im new to the ATV world, i bought this 91 250x acouple months ago and havnt done much to it, and for some reason yesterday while i was riding the chain kept poping today i put the bike on a stand and i see the axle move, From front to back. now what can be wrong i hear from the local dealers that it could be the bearings but they say bring it in and we only charge 250 to check it out, im the kinda person that likes to do things myself but if i can get some kinda idea ill try it out.. also if the chain was loose will i loose power? since that happen from the middle of 4th to 5th it has no power.. somtimes it would do it from 3rd to 5th..

TheFontMaster
08-31-2005, 04:41 PM
Yea it deffinatley sounds like your carrier berrings are shot. I don't know what to say about your quad loosing power, a loose chain shouldn't do much, but what do I know mabey it does. Just be shure not to ride the quad much with how it is now. Once those berrings go it can cause alot of damage, and if it is bad enough the carrier and mabey even the axle in some cases will need to be replaced.

250x_Case
08-31-2005, 04:49 PM
is this what i need? i dont wanna order it from the dealer becuz they said its around 50-60 bucks and ebay has it for 20 something..

Bearings? (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-TRX-Bearing-250R-300-EX-250X-Set-6-Ball-Bearings_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43981QQitemZ45 71219713QQrdZ1)

BTW how can i tell if i have a Aftermarket Carrier and will oem's work?

im not all that sure about the bike loosing power either, the 1st time i drove it the bike moved but that was only on the street, i brang it to the trails there was a str8 away and me and my cuz with a worked up Blaster raced he jumped from the start but i still killed him by alot, the next few times i brang it to the trails it sucked didnt have as much power, i mean i do go crazy when i see mud or little puddles, you think maybe it needs to be re jetted or the carb needs cleaning??

TheFontMaster
08-31-2005, 05:05 PM
The stock carrier has flat notches to rotate the carrier to tighten the chain, and the aftermarket carriers have little holes, also the aftermarket carriers are usualy aluminum or billit, so it should have more shine to it than a stock carrier. I don't know if the berrings for all aftermarket carriers are different, but the LSR carrier I had on my old 300ex(pritty much the same as your 250x) used different berrings than stock. Also your link doesn't work. If you have a picture I can tell you weather you have an aftermarket carrier or not.

250x_Case
08-31-2005, 05:15 PM
everythings still on the bike can you tell from that or do i need to take it apart...

TheFontMaster
08-31-2005, 05:17 PM
You don't need to take anything apart, get a close up of the back of the swingarm, the carrier sticks out a little bit on the left side.

250x_Case
09-03-2005, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by TheFontMaster
You don't need to take anything apart, get a close up of the back of the swingarm, the carrier sticks out a little bit on the left side.

ill get the pics today, i know it took me awhile to com back but my damn computer was messed up