PDA

View Full Version : piston installation

87250rxrider
08-31-2005, 01:36 PM
i am currently attempting to install the piston in my 250r cylinder. if i were to insert the piston from the top of the cylinder(then inserting wrist pin, etc..) how would i compress the rings to get the piston into the cylinder? we tried putting the cylinder over the piston, but the rings kept catching the ports, so the piston MUST be inserted from the top of the cylinder. any help is greatly appreciated. BTW, i need help with this ASAP.
thanks,
-Ryan

Chino886
08-31-2005, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by 87250rxrider
i am currently attempting to install the piston in my 250r cylinder. if i were to insert the piston from the top of the cylinder(then inserting wrist pin, etc..) how would i compress the rings to get the piston into the cylinder? we tried putting the cylinder over the piston, but the rings kept catching the ports, so the piston MUST be inserted from the top of the cylinder. any help is greatly appreciated. BTW, i need help with this ASAP.
thanks,
-Ryan

If it is anything like my piston on my 400, I had to go one ring at a time while I slid the cylinder over the piston, pretty tedious task, it helps to have someone helping you. I don't know if that will help you but it was ASAP!

D

87250rxrider
08-31-2005, 03:13 PM
that doesn't help much but thatnks for the quick response. no matter what the rings get hung on the cylinder, so we need to actually lower the piston into the cylinder.

400exrider707
08-31-2005, 03:14 PM
:huh Thats kind of confusing. So if the rings are getting caught somewhere in the cylinder, then whats to prevent them from getting caught while its running?

87250rxrider
08-31-2005, 04:10 PM
thanks anyway for all the help, but i solved the problem.

-Ryan

wilkin250r
08-31-2005, 05:35 PM
How did you solve it?

The piston should go in through the bottom. i.e, the cylinder should fit over the piston.

if the rings are catching on the ports, you have a problem.

mikeboone
08-31-2005, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by 87250rxrider
that doesn't help much but thatnks for the quick response. no matter what the rings get hung on the cylinder, so we need to actually lower the piston into the cylinder.

Be sure the end gap on ring isnt on a port! How did you plan to attach wrist pin through piston and rod if you drop the piston in from the top? You guys need some help and service manual.

87250rxrider
09-01-2005, 02:52 PM
i don't need any help, or a manual, seeing as though like i stated all problems were solved. the rings were not lined up correctly on the wiseco piston, which is what caused the binding. thanks for any help otherwise.