PDA

View Full Version : Starting problem

hondarider2006
08-31-2005, 10:11 AM
Alright...for a while I was having to use a jumper pack, or a battery charger to get my 400 to fire. Than it just started it to click...like a totally dead battery. So I got a new battery, and still just click. Sounded like it was in my cylinoid, but I took my starter out and brought it to work to have it tested. It tested working just fine. So I stuck that back in, and figured it was the cylinoid, because when I crossed the terminals with a screw driver I got nothing. Got a new/used one off of ebay, put it in and wow to my suprise....NOTHING. The damn thing just goes "click" when I hit the start button. Anyone have some pointers they could give me? I am pretty much stuck...

08-31-2005, 10:14 AM
Are you using a dirtbike starter? Mess around with the starter button. Make sure all connections are clean to.

duke416ex
08-31-2005, 10:17 AM
Take some sandpaper and sand off all of your terminals real good. I know a lot of 400's had trouble with corrosion. I would also check your battery cables just to make sure they aren't broken or corroded inside. With the key and killswitch on if you cross the terminals it should start the quad, even if it is a bad cylinoid:huh That kinda struck me as strange it didn't start like that.

hondarider2006
08-31-2005, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by duke416ex
Take some sandpaper and sand off all of your terminals real good. I know a lot of 400's had trouble with corrosion. I would also check your battery cables just to make sure they aren't broken or corroded inside. With the key and killswitch on if you cross the terminals it should start the quad, even if it is a bad cylinoid:huh That kinda struck me as strange it didn't start like that.

Yeah it struck me strange also....and yes I am using a dirtbike starter....I know I have had problems with it in the past....but I think it would either start, or not...not just "click" I am going to check all of my connections tonight and see if I can find somthing. Hopfully its just a bad ground....or somthing even easier. I know its getting annoying...I need to sell this thing!