PDA

View Full Version : jumping utility quads

omaits
08-30-2005, 08:50 PM
anyone got any cool pics or vids of people jumping (or any crazy stuff) on utility quads. I love nothing more than seeing people ride big utility quads like sport bikes. I laugh everytime I see it.

Post 'em if you got 'em!

Thanks

CannondaleRider
08-30-2005, 08:56 PM
:D

http://tinypic.com/atkt50.jpg

08-30-2005, 09:07 PM
Haha wolverines are pretty good in the air. mine was decent with the stock suspension.

450robot
08-30-2005, 09:10 PM
man wolverines are the shiz! fast, semimanual, 4x4... to bad they ruined the new ones

anyways, remember on the great outdoor games, the quadcross with utilities, they had them jumping, it was pretty sweet

TCracin440ex
08-30-2005, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by 450robot
man wolverines are the shiz! fast, semimanual, 4x4

actually its not called semimanual...its called a cyntripical(sp) clutch...

450robot
08-30-2005, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by TCracin440ex
actually its not called semimanual...its called a cyntripical(sp) clutch...

got'cha! does anyone know how it accually works? ive always wondered (as in the autoclutch thing)

08-30-2005, 09:21 PM
my buddy john:devil:

TCracin440ex
there is actually 2 sets of clutches in the motor....one set of clutches look exactly like those clutches in any regualar sport quad or manuel quad...

the other set looks like weights....its hard to explain i know how it works just i cant put it into words....all i know is replacing a cyntripical clutch aint cheap...i tore the whole thing both clutches out of my old honda recon....the reg. clutch set was 45 bucks....and the other set costed 150 bucks.....

last one. this kid is straight up crazy

08-30-2005, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by Shift_400EX
my buddy john:devil: that doesnt look like it turned out particurally well lmao

08-30-2005, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by aLLoY MX 428
that doesnt look like it turned out particurally well lmao
it doesnt but he overshot the landing:eek2:

troutman561
08-30-2005, 09:26 PM
here is a guy i ride with, hes on a 250 honda recon, he does most of the jumps we all do on our sport quads and he can wheelie on it better than almost everyone we ride with....

troutman561
08-30-2005, 09:27 PM
one more

08-31-2005, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by troutman561
one more the recon is the easiest and most fun quad to wheelie of all time.

tater_kamik
08-31-2005, 01:24 AM
there is actually 2 sets of clutches in the motor....one set of clutches look exactly like those clutches in any regualar sport quad or manuel quad...

the other set looks like weights....its hard to explain i know how it works just i cant put it into words....all i know is replacing a cyntripical clutch aint cheap...i tore the whole thing both clutches out of my old honda recon....the reg. clutch set was 45 bucks....and the other set costed 150 bucks.....

i think it is a similar setup to what is in snowmobiles (or used to be atleast)

omaits
08-31-2005, 08:01 AM
HAHAHA! All those pictures are hilarious man. I have a pretty good video I forgot about that I can upload when I get home from work. Keep them coming!

thomps6s
08-31-2005, 09:33 AM
get the St. Anthony Sand Crusades Video from alticity. They have a utility section in that movie and the guys are hitting some big air in the dunes.

www.alticity.com

08-31-2005, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Shift_400EX
last one. this kid is straight up crazy

or straight up moron

YZEATER
08-31-2005, 11:36 AM
1 vote here for moron.

if someone is doing all the jumps that you can on a sport quad with a recon, you need to be doing bigger jumps.

Mxjunkie
08-31-2005, 12:18 PM
there was a kid on a recon and a few others on utes at the group ride at rausch out jumping alot of the kids on sport quads :scary:

thomps6s
08-31-2005, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by YZEATER
1 vote here for moron.

if someone is doing all the jumps that you can on a sport quad with a recon, you need to be doing bigger jumps.

What is up with you guys? Is there a problem with them jumping UTES? I don't think there is, just because you have a sport quad and can out jump anyone doesn't mean they can't have fun on what they have. And if they are jumping as big as the others that have sport quads, good for them, maybe the sport quad guys don't like jumping big. There is no reason to bring your negativity into this thread, same for the other little kid that posted that he was a moron. I think it's time for the little boys to drop their sacks and grow up.

WKY400EX
08-31-2005, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Mxjunkie69
there was a kid on a recon and a few others on utes at the group ride at rausch out jumping alot of the kids on sport quads :scary: When a big group of us would go trail riding, I had two friends that regularly jump their utilities big. Their quads were Honda 300's, one 4x2 & one 4x4. They'd go just as big as some of the guys riding 300EX's and 400EX's. One even tried a superman on the 4x4.:p :D

wilkin250r
08-31-2005, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by 450robot
got'cha! does anyone know how it accually works? ive always wondered (as in the autoclutch thing)

It's spelled "centrifugal", because it uses centrifugal force to actuate the clutch.

Centrifugal force is the force that pushes outwards when something is spinning, it's the force that throws you off the merry-go-round when you go too fast.

Have you ever seen drum brakes? It's almost the same principle. You have clutch pads that swing outwards, but they have springs attached to them to pull them inwards. As speed increases, the centrifugal force acting on the clutch pads gets stronger than the springs, so the pads pivot outwards against a drum.

08-31-2005, 01:04 PM
new pics of john.....no footer:eek: :D

troutman561
08-31-2005, 01:24 PM

well if there was bigger jumps we would but there is no good jumps in this damn state other than at tracks

toby400ex
08-31-2005, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by tater_kamik
i think it is a similar setup to what is in snowmobiles (or used to be atleast)
Snowmobiles use belts , honda auto clutches dont. But polaris do.

quadrcr161
08-31-2005, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by thomps6s
What is up with you guys? Is there a problem with them jumping UTES? I don't think there is, just because you have a sport quad and can out jump anyone doesn't mean they can't have fun on what they have. And if they are jumping as big as the others that have sport quads, good for them, maybe the sport quad guys don't like jumping big. There is no reason to bring your negativity into this thread, same for the other little kid that posted that he was a moron. I think it's time for the little boys to drop their sacks and grow up.

actually there is a problem with them jumping utes, they wernt designed for it and can really get someone in trouble and get them hurt. with the limited suspension travel, 4x4 axle angles and shock design they will bottom out and can cause damage to the atv along with the rider, and again the drive train is not designed to take that kind of abuse and can take out the transfer cases and hubs. there is a reason the companies designed a sport atv and utes. with everyone preaching about riding with helmets and off the roads, people should also take in consideration about riding an atv like it was designed.

YFZ450Ridr
08-31-2005, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by aLLoY MX 428
the recon is the easiest and most fun quad to wheelie of all time.

i like the 250exs to wheelie. pretty much the same thing but a little lighter in the front end.

omaits
08-31-2005, 02:09 PM
Granted...jumping a ute probably isnt the smartest and safest thing to do, but it is their health and fourwheeler they are risking. I say sit back and enjoy the show!

thomps6s
08-31-2005, 02:12 PM
I guess there will always be negative posts in every thread. Oh well. To each their own i say. I stated my opinion and will leave it at that.

08-31-2005, 02:34 PM
i got one but its too big, if anyone wants it IM me on AOL at: silentbang99

400EXBill
08-31-2005, 03:27 PM
Here's a short video of my buddy Kevin.
Grizzly jump (http://www.fullthrottleassault.com/video/kevin01.wmv)

enduro400rider
08-31-2005, 03:41 PM
i should find a pic of my buddies old recon, we jumped the crap outta it. he had a set of works on the front . im not sure how he got them on there but they worked good, i think they might have been 300ex works, it took some work to get them on from what he explained. he had big plans for it like 400ex a-arms ect, it never went further than the works and taking off the air box lid and the baffle. i remember he tried to put 250ex wheel spacers on it but i dont remember if it worked out. he sold it about 2 years ago, but that thing was a beast everyone beat the crap outta it and it still ran like new as most hondas do. they used to have it pined goin down the road in 5th with the choke on. then we would push the choke down to turn the choke off, and it was there pretend NOS it obviasly pulled alot harder with out the choke. it was a fun little bike for what it was

TCracin440ex
08-31-2005, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
It's spelled "centrifugal", because it uses centrifugal force to actuate the clutch.

Centrifugal force is the force that pushes outwards when something is spinning, it's the force that throws you off the merry-go-round when you go too fast.

Have you ever seen drum brakes? It's almost the same principle. You have clutch pads that swing outwards, but they have springs attached to them to pull them inwards. As speed increases, the centrifugal force acting on the clutch pads gets stronger than the springs, so the pads pivot outwards against a drum.

thats what i was trying to explain i just couldnt get it out of my fingers...

LTandRaptorider
08-31-2005, 05:15 PM
thats what i was trying to explain i just couldnt get it out of my fingers...

:eek: :eek2: :eek2:

Please don't tell us anymore! :eek2: :devil:

Warnerade
08-31-2005, 05:32 PM
:o

TCracin440ex
08-31-2005, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by LTandRaptorider
:eek: :eek2: :eek2:

Please don't tell us anymore! :eek2: :devil:

what ru talking about...lol....i was tryin to explain how a centriful clutch works but wont hitting on much