PDA

View Full Version : cam or not?

06-07-2002, 09:39 PM
on my 400ex u guys said the 11:1 wiseco piston added to the complete exhaust, stage 2 jets, k&n filter, and modified airbox will make it slower. so does anyone have an xr400 cam? if so, how much do they cost? im only 15 and money is kinda a problem. its been apart for a few months now to put in the piston, and i wanna ride so bad. how much will it hurt without the cam and how much will it help with the cam? if anyone has any cams let me know. used or new doesnt matter, as long as i can use stock springs and stuff.thank yall

06-07-2002, 11:09 PM
sumome pleasE?

Tommy 17
06-08-2002, 08:43 AM
well if u don't put in a cam the piston really isn't goin to do anything... if u put in a cam its goin to make a big differnce... u can get a xr400 cam for 120$ at marcums...

Wheelie
06-08-2002, 10:58 AM
Your quad will not be slower if you install the high comp. piston by itself, you should actually see a noticable power gain from bottom to top.

A cam will compliment the piston, but if you don't have the money and want to ride, it's not necessary.

Here's the theory I follow for comp. ratios to power gains.

Every point you raise the comp. whether it's a 454 Chevy or a 200cc Honda, you will see about a 8-10% hp gain. Assuming your 400ex puts out 26hp to the rear wheels, you should see a 3-4 hp gain with the piston alone. Adding a cam with the piston will yield a couple more ponies.