PDA

View Full Version : oil tanks

SRH
08-30-2005, 05:07 PM
i was considering running a aftermarket oil tank, mine looks like it leaks sometimes, i notice oil around the neck and stuff but everything is tight and nothing appears cracked plus i figured holding a lil extra oil would make it run cooler...even tho its a stock motor.... what do you guys think/recommend

JDiablo
08-30-2005, 11:04 PM
Why not,it can only make it cooler

I had one on my 400 before it was a 416 and it ran great
Im definelty looking into one

SRH
08-31-2005, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by 300exrida
Why not,it can only make it cooler

I had one on my 400 before it was a 416 and it ran great
Im definelty looking into one

yeah just when ur payin 7 bucks a quart thats 21 dollar oil change after every time its ridden i wish i could just get a nice stock size billet

sqewk
08-31-2005, 04:08 PM
Time to buy cheaper priced oil

JDiablo
08-31-2005, 04:09 PM
o man you have to buy some cheaper oil,lol if i paid that much for oil i would be using a stock size tank...maybe polish that sucker?

SRH
09-01-2005, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by 300exrida
o man you have to buy some cheaper oil,lol if i paid that much for oil i would be using a stock size tank...maybe polish that sucker?

why sacrfice the longevity of your motor to run junk oil, ive tried out alot of different oil, the stuff i use u can noticeably tell the difference in the shifting over the mid level oil..i dont want the tank for looks i want one that doesnt leak for some odd reason...plus this stuff doesnt break down in 1 race, or 1 ride so i know my motor is always gettin good lubrication...thats wortht he money to me....id just like a nice tough billet tank but i have no need for the extra quart

sqewk
09-01-2005, 09:24 PM
Who said anything about junk oil? There is plenty of top name brand oil that is cheaper priced

SRH
09-02-2005, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by sqewk
Who said anything about junk oil? There is plenty of top name brand oil that is cheaper priced

like i said run what you want but what i been running works the best... out of the 5 or 6 ive tried...

muff
09-04-2005, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by sqewk

and what would that be? I have yet to find "good" oil to be near $4 a quart.

I've owned an oversized tank before on my 400ex and didn't really think it was worth it. Only time it really saved my @ss was when I had an oil leak and lost about a quart of oil...but still had the stock amount in the system.

SRH
09-04-2005, 03:33 PM
i run bel ray thumper 20 50

protraxrptr17
09-04-2005, 06:29 PM
Is there a market for a stock capacity, aftermarket oil tank? If enough people wanted it I could make some. Would you want the cooling pipes, or just a solid tank?

muff
09-04-2005, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by protraxrptr17
Is there a market for a stock capacity, aftermarket oil tank? If enough people wanted it I could make some. Would you want the cooling pipes, or just a solid tank?

I think it would all depend on the price, because it would mainly only be for looks. I'm sure a solid tank would be a lot easier though.

SRH
09-04-2005, 07:58 PM
mine appears to leak around the neck every now and then...no idea why

protraxrptr17
09-04-2005, 08:25 PM
Yeah, a solid tank would be a little cheaper to build. A tank with the cooling tubes would be less likely to develop a crack somewhere. I would have to check on the cost of the raw material before I quoted a price. I believe I could beat anybody else's price, ecpecially if there were more than one person that wanted one. I have another cool idea for oil tanks that nobody has seen. I don't want to give out all the details just yet. I guess I need to talk to the administrator before I start building and selling parts on here. I don't want to cause any trouble.

The stock tanks on Raptors and YFZs are made from some kind of cast aluminum press welded together. Looks kinda crappy and cheap to me. I know lots of Raptors tanks have cracked.

Ex'r Marlin
09-05-2005, 02:08 AM
Well, if it means anything, I too have problems with the stock Honda 400EX oil tank. The bottom drain plug "snapped" off from the aluminum tank. :mad:

Apparently, the drain plug would rather break away then hold up to the bolt loosening up during an oil change!:mad:

I too am looking into a replacement oil tank for the 400EX.

jubileeatv
08-31-2006, 03:09 PM
run Spectro 10/40 synthetic, check it after every ride and haul *** !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:devil:

09-07-2006, 07:49 AM
The bigger tank only helps it run cooler for a extra 10 minuts. not worth it