PDA

View Full Version : kick starter broke

madini
08-30-2005, 12:27 PM
I lost the bolt that holds the crank part on the kick starter.The one with the little spring that got away when I lifted that part off.I managed to retain the steel ball though.I was warned long ago about this coming off but after checking it 100 times I got careless and now I gotta figure how this goes back together once I get a new "little spring".Anybody have to go through this and do you have any advice on how to get this done?

bwamos
08-30-2005, 02:16 PM
go to servicehonda.com the OEM parts area will show you an exploded assembly of the parts. Should be able to figure out how to reassemble from there. If not you need to get a service manual from Honda.

OKTRX450R
08-30-2005, 02:52 PM
As I recall it is not listed in the service manual...I was looking for it when I took mine apart and could not find it.

The lever is the kickstarter.

Anyway, there is a shaft the lever slides onto...there is a hole in the shaft, slide the spring in there. Lube the hole in the end of the lever (that slides onto the shaft) with grease, start it down on the shaft, just before you cover the hole put the ball in. You have to hold it in or it will fall out. I took a pick tool (looks like a small ice pick) and pushed in on the ball and let the lever slide down all the way. Put the bolt back in and you are in business.

Let me know if that was not clear. If you look up in the end of the lever you can see where the ball rubs everytime you move the lever in and out...there is an indention the ball sits in when the lever is in the closed position. Basically you are pushing on the ball to compress the spring to allow the lever to slide all the way down the shaft.

madini
09-04-2005, 03:12 PM
Thanks for the replys guys,very helpful.

madini
09-04-2005, 03:18 PM
Really, I have had computer lock up for days and now suddenly I am able to reply and thank you guys for your help.This forum has always been a better source of information than any of the manuals i buy each time i purchase a new quad.Who knows what we might have to share after next week's release of the NEW ONE!