PDA

View Full Version : Twist throttle owners a few questions.

kazpr
08-30-2005, 11:07 AM
What made you decide to go to twist throttle? I am thinking about it myself as it seems my thumb throttle it not friendly to my right hand.
I broke my hand once maybe that is the problem.
Any difficulties with the twist on the quad??
Thanks alot Scott

Moto92
08-30-2005, 11:44 AM
ive never heard a single good thing about a twist throttle on a quad

ThumPIN_450R
08-30-2005, 01:08 PM
I used to use one on my 300EX and my LT250R and I liked the idea of having a full hand on the grip instead of just 4 fingers. I didn't put one on my honda becuase I've been doing some gp style team races and I wanted my quad to be rideable for my team mates if they broke and had to ride my quad. that and I don't want to spend the money for it. If the thump gives you're hand troubles then go ahead and buy the twist if you don't like it you can always put the thumb back on and sell the twist on ebay.

xx3003xrdrxx
08-30-2005, 02:01 PM
i wrecked and ate **** on a quad with a twist throttle over a 40 foot table top just a few days ago . I HATE THEM and would never buy one . matter of a fact ill never ride another quad on the mx track with a twist .

bwamos
08-30-2005, 02:11 PM
Twist throttles are great in the dunes.

But, I prefer a thumb in the woods.

Not sure it it will work on a 450r.. but the 300ex's you can replace the stock thumb with a trx90 thumb throttle for an easier pull. Longer lever and lighter spring.

JRP
08-30-2005, 02:40 PM
illlet u know in about a week. i jus got my motion pro vortex twist and my prodesign kill swtch.. im jus waitin on my tag 2's

08-30-2005, 03:53 PM
i had a twist and hated it in the woods...it was pretty cool on the roads and prob be pretty nice in the dunes but thats about it

redriderex
08-30-2005, 05:19 PM
ive had a twist throttle on all my quads since 1986,about 16 quads worth,i love it,think about it,four finger with thumb dingling and the twist with all four finger and the thumb wrap around,better controlalso i have no problem jumping with it,you dont see a thumbe throttle on dirt bikes do you.they jump and have no problem

rowlrag
08-30-2005, 05:22 PM
I only use a twist, But I grew up riding bikes so it's no bother. I don't like a thumb, seems I'm not coordinated enough to let off when I want to brake:(

Pappy
08-30-2005, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by rowlrag
I only use a twist, But I grew up riding bikes so it's no bother. I don't like a thumb, seems I'm not coordinated enough to let off when I want to brake:(

i would not have finished the wisp gncc without the twist installed. i can say it helped a little with hand fatigue, but i could not get used to it. rowlrag is correct, if you have bike expierence it is much easier to adjust to the twist on a quad.

and if you get a twist, get a 1/2 turn unit at first, the 1/4 turn are way to touchy for a quad...lol

fastrider450r
08-30-2005, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by rowlrag
thats the same with me only for a twist

cletusEX
08-30-2005, 07:25 PM
I had one on my old 416 for a little while and liked it. I had a problem with thumb pump so I tried the twist. Practiced a few times with it and raced 1 race before I sold the quad. I have no experience on a dirtbike and actual got used the the twist pretty quick. I haven't had any thumb issues with my 450r but keep thinking about trying one for $hits and giggles.

rowlrag
08-30-2005, 07:45 PM
Thr TRX90 thumb does fit the R.

fastrider450r
08-30-2005, 07:50 PM
that would be cool to try.

the cool thing is the other day at an MX race near me, i saw this honda either 70 or 50 pit bike with a thumb throttle mounted on it. It may be weird but i've never seen a thumb on a bike before, i've always wanted to try that though.

300ex_#387
08-30-2005, 08:12 PM
I use a twist throttle on my 300 because ive broken my right thumb twice and it gives me problems, plus i grew up riding bikes, i havent really had any problems yet but ive only had it for 8 months

89'350RX
08-31-2005, 05:30 AM
TWIST all the way. I cannot believe some of you do not like them. Much easier to use and less fatigue with the twist. Winter riding is a frozen thumb with a thumb throttle.

Jonas
08-31-2005, 08:31 AM
I immediately put a twist throttle on my 450r. I am not sure why some of you say that putting a twist on a quad is crazy. You should give your reasoning. The reason I have one is that my full hand is on the throttle. The only problems I have heard with them are based on inexperience as far a I can tell. If you've tried both for an extended period I would think that you would choose the twist. The only reason they put a thumb throttle on atv's in my opinion is liability. They must feel that a thumb throttle is less likely to stick after a crash, possibly resulting in the quad going until it hit something or someone. People out there that have such problems with them in racing, tell me how dirt bike racers cope????

08-31-2005, 10:22 AM
twist throttles work for some.........i'd have to say they don't work for the majority.

the biggest problem i had with them is this....
as stated previously, your full hand is wrapped around the throttle.......which means hitting bumps and catching trees with the front wheels causes a "grab the bars" reaction which causes the throttle to open......which causes accidents.

it's not for everyone.......so take it easy, until your used to it.

honda 400ex 69
08-31-2005, 11:03 AM
a twist may be good for some but if you are already use to the thumb i would stay with it cause the 400ex i use to have came with a twist on it and i let my buddy ride it in a field by my house and it just walked right out from under him and did a flip. and he has been riding quads for a while so it wasnt lack of experience on quads

fastrider450r
08-31-2005, 12:08 PM
yeah same here i'd rather use a Thumb any day than a twist, im just not used to them

bwamos
08-31-2005, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by force
twist throttles work for some.........i'd have to say they don't work for the majority.

the biggest problem i had with them is this....
as stated previously, your full hand is wrapped around the throttle.......which means hitting bumps and catching trees with the front wheels causes a "grab the bars" reaction which causes the throttle to open......which causes accidents.

it's not for everyone.......so take it easy, until your used to it.

I agree with what he said.
There's a LOT more feedback on a atv than on a dirtbike. You're basically forced to "hold on" to the quad with 1 hand while navigating ruts, stumps, rocks etc. If you dont.. you jerk the throttle around. Dirtbikes are much easier for me in the woods than a quad is (in regards to the twist throttle).

However, it can easily be counteracted with a "good" steering dampener.

In the woods, it just makes it a lot more difficult for me to navigate those "oh crap" situations.

Dropping into a small ravine, while keeping the front end high so you can hit the opposite wall level, then shooting up the side covered in exposed tree roots, and making an immediate left before you hit that oak tree at the top while going 35mph can be tricky with a twist throttle. For me at least. ;) I have 2 throttles and cables. I use my twist out at Little Sahara (Wynoka).. but I stick to the thumb for XC and Trail riding. You just need a good grip.

wilkin250r
08-31-2005, 03:58 PM
I've used both. I learned on a thumb, so I felt really awkward with the twist. I didn't know when to let off on jumps, so I had a lot of trouble. I switched my twist back to a thumb.

However, I've known many people that hate thumb throttles, and only ride with a twist.

I've seen a few people learn with a thumb, and then switch to a twist and actually like it better. But not many. For most, I believe people just go with whatever they originally learned with.

superquadguy
08-31-2005, 07:57 PM
if you are like me and hate it when your bubbie bike brakes down and they ask if they can ride your bike a twist will put a stop to that.

Jonas
09-01-2005, 08:58 AM
As a rule, don't let anyone ride your quad, it tends to get expensive.

If you feel like to are scared to use a twist throttle for safety, then definately don't get one. If your an experienced rider and are confident in your abilities, you won't have any trouble getting used to one. If you have never used one, it will probably take some time but is well worth the wait in my opinion.

I think that Chad Reed gets plenty of feedback from his bike going as fast as he does
;)

WhiteZee
09-01-2005, 04:11 PM
i switched to a twist in january, and it only took a few rides for me to get comfortable with it. thumb pump was the main reason i switched, i could only do about 1/2 a XC lap and my thumb was useless. since i switched to the twist, i can now finish races. if i stopped racing.....i doubt i would go back the the thumb, just out trail riding with my brothers they have to stop and take breaks from thumb pump.

400exvet
09-01-2005, 07:10 PM
I have had both through the years and they each have their own pros and cons. I agree that the thumb allows you to hold on to the quad better through the really rough stuff, especially like bwamos said about dropping into a ravine or ditch and running over rocks and trees and having to pop back up the other side....that is definately thumb territory. Straights, turns and jumps could really be either. The main reason I run a twist is due to the lack of thumb training. I just can't race long with a thumb due to the pain and lack of thumb control. I use the twist so I can finish. Most Pro XC racers run thumbs because they really need to hold on and they have trained their thumbs to hang in there the entire race. I might be a tad faster with a thumb but not for long. I have been in a few hairy situations and close calls that I can remember thinking....that wouldn't have happened with a thumb. But I'll never switch back.

WhiteZee
09-02-2005, 09:06 AM
chris borich and jeff stoess both use twists.

Trx450always
09-03-2005, 03:46 PM
well I have a motion pro vortex sitiing in front of me without instructions. I don't know if I should install it. and how do u do it, and how hard is it to do. alsi I ride all dunes and desert, which one is better with ur experience.

Atkins
09-03-2005, 04:07 PM
I really liked my twist on my 310r in the woods, but I absolutely hated it in the pits and wasnt comfortable with it in the air at all.

09-05-2005, 01:28 AM
Twist it! i never had any expierience on a twist when i got mine(thumb was always sore) and i took it easy and now ill never go back to a thumb throttle. i recently drove my buddies stock 400EX with a thumb throttle and i felt so uncomfortable. i was scared of it:huh

Mxjunkie
09-05-2005, 08:38 AM
I started on thumb, hated it, hit bumps and I would jam my thumb etc you name it I got it. Switched to a twist, about 3 rides later on my first quad I was good to go, every since then I have been riding twist.

I personally think its safer holding on to the bars with your whole hand. I doubt I'll ever go back to thumb :ermm:

stanrich
09-05-2005, 04:02 PM
twist is great in woods less arm pump for me takes a little time to get comfortable with it on jumps be careful