PDA

View Full Version : I think I messed up my brakes need help please

bbogue
08-29-2005, 08:42 PM
Ok so I let my rear brakes get real low(it was wearing off the metal that the break pads attached to) then one day the back brake lever lost all tension and the brake stoped working so I put new brake pads on and when I pushed the piston in the caliper in some brake fluid came out of the block off plate that had been installed now I put the new brake pads on and put the caliper back on the disk but the pedal isnt pumping up and the breaks are not working.

Can any one tell me what I did wrong and how to fix it PLEASE!!!

I need to have it working by the weekend after next

ohhh by the way I have a 2000 400 ex

Pappy
08-29-2005, 08:51 PM
just a guess, but maybe the heat generated by the metal on metal contact toasted the piston seal, allowing fluid to leak like you stated.

or possibly you chewed a hole in the piston itself?

take the caliper off the quad and start inspecting it.

did you fill the fliud level or check it before trying to bleed the brake?

08-29-2005, 09:27 PM
I too am a idot and run the rear brake pads low, only because my rotor is bent and I am too cheap to replace it.

but I was thinking maby somehow the piston came out of the caliper or somthing. if it was me I would try bleading the brakes first. then go from thare.

I have found that a little pice of gas line on the bleader for the brakes, leading into a can works good. seems to not make so much of a mess.