PDA

View Full Version : New chain Install?

TRFOXX
08-29-2005, 08:35 PM
I bought a new O ring chain for my 01 400ex and whats the right way to take the old one off and putting the new one on? Do i just break the old one off or what? (bolt cutters) My sprockets look great not worn but i had a nice kink in my chain and i couldnt break it free even with robo grips. So thats the reason i got the new chain. But anyways do I need to unloosen anything before i put the new chain on or do i just put it on and tighten it up? Any help would be greatly appreciated. First time changing a chain and would like to do it right the first time! Thanks

mikeboone
08-29-2005, 08:40 PM
Take a sidegrinder and cut the old one in half. be sure you have on some safety glasses and nothing flamable around you:cool:

Loosen the 4 adjusting bolts on rear of swingarm and slide carrier back towards the front; the new chain will go right on. Be SURE you install masterlink with open end facing towards rear so it wont catch on anything.

Replace the sprockets with the new chain is best bet.

TRFOXX
08-29-2005, 08:47 PM
Great thanks!!

prepracing
08-30-2005, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
He won't even need a grinder to cut the old one in half. You're going to have to loosen the pinch bolts and rotate the carrier forward to adjust the chain slack for the new chain anyway. The stock one comes right off when you loosen the slack.

unless it has a master link he will have to cut the chain to get it off

YZEATER
08-30-2005, 10:46 AM
you have to cut it to get it off, otherwise you have to take the swingarm off.

400exrider707
08-30-2005, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
I assumed that the "old chain" was the stock unit which is endless with no master link. Regardless, even if it did have a master link, all you have to do is either pop the retaining clip and remove the master link or just loosen the chain tension on the carrier. No cutting should be required at all, I was just trying to save the guy extra work that' s all ;)

Just how exactly do you take a masterlink-less chain off without cutting? Obviously you could remove the hole swingarm, but wouldn't cutting it be the eaiser way!?:huh

NacsMXer
08-30-2005, 01:16 PM
Sorry about the misinformation, I deleted my posts. I don't know what I was thinking when I typed that. Uh, the stock chain is wrapped around the swingarm duh! Stupid me. It's been a while since I removed my stock chain and I now remember that I cracked my swingarm and replaced it with a new one along with a new chain at the same time. I hate it when your memory plays tricks on you! :rolleyes: :blah:

400exrider707
08-30-2005, 02:17 PM
I guess we can let is slide this time...:blah:

crazycray200
09-11-2005, 09:46 AM
DONT CUT IT OK

there will be a link some where on the chain just hit the bit of metal with a screw driver then push the link out DONT CUT IT

mikeboone
09-11-2005, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by crazycray200
DONT CUT IT OK

there will be a link some where on the chain just hit the bit of metal with a screw driver then push the link out DONT CUT IT

When did you become "the" source on info? The stock chain has NO masterlink as said sevarl times. You can beat the chain with a hammer/screwdriver for 30 minutes and mabe pop a link off and gouge your hand at the same time!

Cutting takes about 30 seconds Cracycra...

crazycray200
09-11-2005, 11:07 AM
you dont no what you are talking about just use a pair of pliers and not a screwdriver u will break it...

crazycray200
09-11-2005, 11:10 AM
i do no for sure it does have a master link in it bacause how will they take it off to use it as a spare and only 3 weeks ago i took mine off and it had a link in it so look before quoting

mikeboone
09-11-2005, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by crazycray200
i do no for sure it does have a master link in it bacause how will they take it off to use it as a spare and only 3 weeks ago i took mine off and it had a link in it so look before quoting

I have likely parted out more quads than you have ridden and can assure you the stock chain has no masterlink. If you bought your quad used it may have an aftermarket chain which DOES.

If the chain is worn and needs replacing you dont use it as a spare; you throw it away. When the links stretch the pins will ride on the teeth of sprockets causing faster wear to both parts.

TRFOXX
09-11-2005, 08:25 PM
The stock chain had no master link so I use a hand grinder and it cut it pretty fast. I put the new chain on (red) and i had to cut 4 links out of it . It said that it was stock length but like i said I had to cut it down 4 links. Thanks for the help! It turned out great I did go with new Sunstar front and rear sprockets also with the new red chain! And yes throw that stock chain away it was trashed!

mikeboone
09-11-2005, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by TRFOXX
The stock chain had no master link so I use a hand grinder and it cut it pretty fast. I put the new chain on (red) and i had to cut 4 links out of it . It said that it was stock length but like i said I had to cut it down 4 links. Thanks for the help! It turned out great I did go with new Sunstar front and rear sprockets also with the new red chain! And yes throw that stock chain away it was trashed!

Glad your back running. The mags all have diffrent #;s listed as stock links on 400ex chain. I have seen 4 differnt #'s from 4 retailers. Check chain stetch after first ride. After the first couple hrs it will have some slop; you may need to slide carrier back at that time.

YZEATER
09-12-2005, 06:01 AM
how do you have over 3300 posts and have no idea how you buy a chain?

it comes open ended, not connected at the ends. you cut it to fit on your specific quad.