PDA

View Full Version : megamax

blastereatin250
08-29-2005, 05:49 PM
How loud is a fmf megamax in the quietest form? Including the spark arrester. There is a spark arrester with the quiet core right? I need it to be legal for trails and for my dad.:ermm: Thanks.

blastereatin250
08-29-2005, 06:16 PM
bump

08-29-2005, 06:21 PM
People call it a megajunk for a reason,avoid like the plauge.

blastereatin250
08-29-2005, 06:31 PM
People that have like it though.

yellow400ex05
08-29-2005, 06:41 PM
IMO is that FMF megamax sucks. I'm gettin a good brand pipe which is HMF. It seems like alot of people have fmf and i don't want something cheap and i want a pipe that can be different. I only like fmf pipes for 2-strokes not fourstrokes.

redlineranger
08-29-2005, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by Yellow250ex04
IMO is that FMF megamax sucks. I'm gettin a good brand pipe which is HMF. It seems like alot of people have fmf and i don't want something cheap and i want a pipe that can be different. I only like fmf pipes for 2-strokes not fourstrokes.

agreed

Ridin' Jesse
08-29-2005, 07:33 PM
megamax..blah..

blastereatin250
08-29-2005, 08:36 PM
Well, I'm asking how loud it is. Hey!! This is my 400th post!!:cool:

cals400ex
08-29-2005, 10:50 PM
i can't tell you a decibel reading but it isn't too loud (compared to others) with the discs and sparks arrestor in. i pretty much consider this pipe to be junk too. i would look into other brands if it was me

300ex13
08-30-2005, 08:45 AM
they are purely a waste of money....they do not sound good,do not give good power and i can almost guarrantee that u will regret this purchase....PC t-4 is more expensvie but from what i can tell they are worth the money...btw i think the t-4 is one of the chapest pipes out there...fmf needs to stick to the 2-strokes

bwamos
08-30-2005, 09:10 AM
How many people that trash the FMF pipe have actually owned one?

I had an FMF Performax until I built my engine into a 330 and bought the Sparks X-4. The FMF was a great pipe for a simple pipe/filter setup. It's not as good at the Sparks for sure, but it was far from a piece of junk. It was right on par with the WB E-series pipes. No noticable difference between the two when riding the quad.

My performax w/ 5 disks and the quiet core was fairly qiuet. Couldn't give you an exact DB but it would be close the the 96db range with good packing. I usually ran mine with 7 disks and no core.

400exrider707
08-30-2005, 09:26 AM
Im not a fan of some of the lower models of the FMF line, such as the megamax, but for a first pipe on a simple stock machine it will be good enough. I personally own a ti-4 slip-on and absolutely love the bottom-end gains it gave me. I've also ridden on a powercore IV, a whitebros R4, and a whitebros E series, all on a 400ex, and like mine the best because it gave a great seat of the pants feel, and the sound was awesome. The E-series was really quiet, the R4 was obnoxiously loud and didn't sound good at all, and the powercore seemed to give decent gains, but was quieter than the Ti-4.

cals400ex
08-30-2005, 02:12 PM
i have never owned a fmf because a few of my friends did. the megamax slip on gained no power on our 400ex. i actually did the stock exhaust mod and it was a little quicker than the megamax was. i would get a WB slip on before a fmf any day, but that is just me. however, you wont' see me buying either one. i honestly would try to find a full system for that bike if it was me.

400exrider707
08-30-2005, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by cals400ex
i have never owned a fmf because a few of my friends did. the megamax slip on gained no power on our 400ex. i actually did the stock exhaust mod and it was a little quicker than the megamax was. i would get a WB slip on before a fmf any day, but that is just me. however, you wont' see me buying either one. i honestly would try to find a full system for that bike if it was me.

Im not saying that is untrue, but realisitically how can an aftermarket slip-on be more restrictive than a stock exhaust??? Unless it wasn't jetted properly (Im sure you know how to though) I'm not sure what would make it run any better than a piped quad. Every engine is different though, the true test is to use that modded stock exhaust and the FMF on the SAME quad.

blastereatin250
08-30-2005, 04:07 PM
I guess I'll just pull out the extra $40 for a wb:ermm:

400exrider707
08-30-2005, 04:09 PM
Perosnally I think your better off looking for a nice used system right here in the for sale section, but try and get a top of the line one. From my experience as well as others the WB pipes dont seem to hold up well at all, unless they have changed things recently.

cals400ex
08-30-2005, 04:31 PM
the megamax one had the discs in place. my stock exhaust mod included drilling larger holes in the silencer behind the sparks arrestor. then we took the whole spark arrestor out. we ran a keihin 150 mainjet with both pipes. i mean, it was so small of a difference it really wasn't noticable. but then again, the slip ons we tried really don't make much difference. they make more noise and vibrations so they feel faster but actually make not be or only a very little. i honestly would get a full system. i dont' know how that engine works but if they make some aftermarket cams and pistons, i would look into those. this typically opens the bikes up quite a bit.

400exrider707
08-30-2005, 04:59 PM
What quad are we talking about anyways here?

08-30-2005, 06:50 PM
Have any of you saying fmf needs to stick to 2 strokes every used some of their new pipes? Doubt it.

400exrider707
08-30-2005, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by aLLoY MX 428
Have any of you saying fmf needs to stick to 2 strokes every used some of their new pipes? Doubt it.

Thats what Im thinking as well, cause the new 4.1 carbon system is one of the nicest looking exhausts out there. Its just too bad they only have them for the dirt bikes right now.........

https://www.fmfracing.com/products/catalog.aspx?CategoryID=283

blastereatin250
08-31-2005, 04:16 PM
It's a 250ex. I can't get used. Sorry.

08-31-2005, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by blastereatin250
It's a 250ex. I can't get used. Sorry. why cant you get a used pipe?

400exrider707
08-31-2005, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by aLLoY MX 428
why cant you get a used pipe?

He's too good for it duh:rolleyes:

But seriously why cant you get a used one?

blastereatin250
08-31-2005, 07:09 PM
My dad doesn't want to get a used pipe off the internet because he thinks that there is a chance the pipe could be gutted on the inside. It makes sence I guess.:ermm:

cals400ex
08-31-2005, 11:48 PM
i doubt it if it is an aftermarket pipe unless the owner was a red neck. :D

400exrider707
09-01-2005, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by blastereatin250
My dad doesn't want to get a used pipe off the internet because he thinks that there is a chance the pipe could be gutted on the inside. It makes sence I guess.:ermm:

Um aftermarket pipes are a straight through design, nothing really to gut. You have the outer shell, some packing and then a screen, but you can see all the way through it

bwamos
09-01-2005, 09:07 AM
Aye, nothing to gut besides some $5 packing material. ;)

Also FYI when I said has anyone that bashes FMF actually ran their pipes, I'm refering to a full system. Leaving the restrictive stock header on and putting on any silencer slip-on will not realize any noticable performance gains above just replacing the endcap on a stock silencer (assuming the stock endcap is replacable). On most ATV's the header is the restriction point after you remove the endcap and replace the filter.

400exrider707
09-01-2005, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by bwamos
Aye, nothing to gut besides some $5 packing material. ;)

Also FYI when I said has anyone that bashes FMF actually ran their pipes, I'm refering to a full system. Leaving the restrictive stock header on and putting on any silencer slip-on will not realize any noticable performance gains above just replacing the endcap on a stock silencer (assuming the stock endcap is replacable). On most ATV's the header is the restriction point after you remove the endcap and replace the filter.

I disagree, the header really only becomes a restriction point after the slip on is added. Have you ever seen the inside of a stock muffler? They change exhaust flow direction multiple times as opposed to any aftermarket which is basically straight through. After you have done the filter, removed the lid, added the slip on and started other modding, I believe, then it is time for the addition of a full system.

bwamos
09-01-2005, 11:27 AM
Depends on the quad of course.
Yes some do have an actual muffler on them, like the older 300ex's (I have not examined a newer 300ex muffler, so I can't comment on that one).

However, a lot of the silencers are also "glass packs" but they just have a baffle in the end of them and a corked up 1/2" dia outlet.

My point is that you can not say a slip on silencer is a piece of crap when the header is instantly a choke point after you replace the filter and silencer. 300ex as an example. You have to do a complete exaust system + intake if you want to compare apples to apples. (Granted some of the newer high performance quads have good headers on them, stock.)

I'm certianly not saying the MegaMax is the best silencer in the world. Far from it.. however it is not a piece of crap, in my opinion (that designation is left for the Cobra Pipes).

On a 300ex for example.. replacing the Silencer & Header, Filter, Remove Lid, and a Rejet, will make a tremendous difference in power over a system with the stock header. The entire air flow system on a 300ex is corked including the header even without any engine mods.

As a slip-on I do like the HMF and WB E-series better for sure. Also as a full system with the WB Header.

All I'm saying is people like to bash products they have never even used.

I used an FMF Performax full system for several years. There was next to no performance difference between that pipe and the WB E-Series, or the DG pipes everyone ran at that time. The quads were setup exactly the same other than pipes and riders.. but all 3 would stay side by side until they hit the rev limiter. Response time at the line and shifting efficency were the only variable that dertermined who won in a straight line.

As another observance the FMF Performax system outlasted the DG for durability, whereas the WB E-Series outlasted the FMF.

If you dont think the stock header is a restriction in it's stock form.. take this for what it is worth. At 282cc's (300ex) at 8500rpm you have to force 1,198,500cc's through that pipe every minute, or 19,975cc's through it every second. But also remember that exhaust is heated up from 100deg to 700deg (to be very conservative) and the combusted fuel so the gasses are expanded, meaning a much higher volume than that. Not to mention.. onve the gasses cool down as they travel through the header they slow down causing, if I might say, a traffic jam of sorts. Trust me that little pipe is very restrictive.. lol.

Dont get me wrong.. that little stock header is great for low end torque up to about 4000rpm, but if you want any high end HP gains you need less restrictive header pipe.